PDA

View Full Version : NATS bidding for Belfast City?

Standard Noise
26th Oct 2003, 23:39
Rumour has it that NATS are bidding for the ATC contract at Belfast City (again)and that some high level meetings have taken place between the City ATSM and management, and their opposite numbers from Muckamore Intl already.

It is suggested that the Aldergrove MD has been trying to broker the deal for a share of any profits that may come. Is it possible that after trying to buy the City numerous times, TBI have decided to live with it's rival due to the power and money of it's new owners? Or is the Aldergrove MD just lining up a healthy retirement for himself?

Could this mean Serco is also bidding for the contract?

The soup thickens.

Jerricho
27th Oct 2003, 00:36
Oooohhhhhh, that is a good rumour!!

niknak
27th Oct 2003, 20:36
Rumour, counter rumour and rumour quadroupled!

We're going to be going through the same process in the near future (again:ooh: ), and you can bet that wherever NATS go, SERCo will be snapping on their heels.

The advantage that NATS have over SERCo in this scenario
is that TBI have NATS at all their other UK airports, so they should be able to negotiate a good contract price.

Additionally, just to stir the rumour pot a little further, a big plus factor in NATS favour if they do get the contract for City, is that in the very near future, they would be able to offer a centralised radar service with SSR, for both airports, be it from W. Drayton, Swanick or Belfast - something which SERCo would never be able to do.

Tower Ranger
28th Oct 2003, 00:06
It`s a bit more than a rumour and if it goes ahead will almost certainly mean the end of Belfast Radar.

eastern wiseguy
29th Oct 2003, 02:29
If I were in Bristol I might surmise that Cardiff and TBI and Ferrovial might want to do the same.......you could be back in NATS yet eh Noisy?

Arran View
29th Oct 2003, 04:08
Suppose that'll mean PF,PK & PH next?

watchingbrief2000
30th Oct 2003, 07:12
Yeah, I would put a bet on that! Let's see what happens to EGAC first.

Standard Noise
30th Oct 2003, 09:01
eastern - normally I'd say God forbid! But I really couldn't care anymore, as long as it didn't mean moving again.
You can see the sense in it though, a mini TMA in the Southwest, all the radar being done from Bristol and not forgetting the huge inflation busting payrises for less work! I think that's how NATS works, isn't it?!

Tower Ranger
30th Oct 2003, 19:59
YEAH Standard

Better pay and conditions, better shift pattern (or should that be a shift pattern!), about 20 days less work per year, better equipment, earlier retirement and a pension you might actually get some money out of instead of sponsoring Bombardier`s losses.
I guess the only downside is either Tower only at BHD or doing Radar in a different country anyway best I go to work while I`ve still got a job. What a boost for moral at the City !!

Standard Noise
31st Oct 2003, 07:43
Hi TR,

There's always a home for you here if you want to do some real work, or you could work at Muck and do sod all!:ok:

Tower Ranger
8th Nov 2003, 18:15
Next news on 21st Nov but if it goes ahead it looks like four of us will be made redundant before Nats take over, is it to early to say Happy Christmas?

Eira
8th Nov 2003, 19:27
The merger of Cardiff and Bristol approaches.

I would look to it being done from Cardiff not Bristol, the majority of the radar services are already done from there, far less staff would have to be transplanted from Bristol to Cardiff than visa versa, Cardiff has its own radar , Bristol relies on a feed from Clee Hill , Clee Hill radar can not pick up low level aircraft to the west and south of Cardiff

Overall though I think the only way to go however, I'm sure Bristol ATCOs wouldn't mind coming under the NATS umbrella with all the staffing difficulties they have been having.

ATCO1987
12th Nov 2003, 23:23
Hrmm....I have to disagree. I mean, Ive not visited EGFF's TWR but from the outside it looks like a shed on the top of a building. I know im not really referring to the technical side, but all Bristols stuff is new, god knows how long cardiff's stuff has been there, they are probably using those nasty round black radars in a darkened room, am I right? EGFF only gets half of the traffic movements Bristol gets also, generally, I like Bristol Airport and its ATCU, but thats cos its my local! Just had to have my say there!

flower
13th Nov 2003, 05:52
ATCO1987
How little you know, before you make such comments perhaps it is wise to check the facts.
Cardiff's radar room is all singing and dancing, daylight radars etc.
You of course are talking about Airport movements and in that you are correct in saying Bristol has more movements, but that is not the issue at hand, Cardiff handles all Bristols Aircraft routing via Airways form the North South and West, it also handles Exeter's Northbound airways traffic, Swansea's South and Eastbound Traffic, It is the Approach Unit for RAF St Athan and many other things beside.

When issues such as a potential merging of Approach functions are considered , there are so many factors which have to be taken into account and having a brand new building really is fairly low down the list of priorities.

ATCO1987
13th Nov 2003, 06:55
Yeah I know, I was just kiddin around! Im just a fan of Bristol thats all!

Tower Ranger
22nd Nov 2003, 06:36
Next news 28th allegedly!!

Richard Everest
30th Nov 2003, 19:11
and.............?

Tower Ranger
1st Dec 2003, 03:45
Nothing has changed yet. The Nats bid was unsuccessful and I`m not really permited to say much more.

eastern wiseguy
1st Dec 2003, 05:20
Go on Tower.......lets compare notes!!!:O I suspect they will be remarkably similar......