PDA

View Full Version : The night London Airport was mine

Padhist
26th Oct 2003, 15:56
The night London Airport was mine

I was coming to the end of my 3 year tour with the Blind Landing Experimental Unit (BLEU) at RAE Bedford, where I had been posted to carry out the automatic landing trials on the Vulcan. These trials had been initiated after it was realised that in the event of a nuclear attack upon the British Isles, there would be a need to disperse the Vulcan, (V.Force) to designated airfields around the country. Since this would have to be carried out regardless of the prevailing weather conditions there was clearly a requirement for an ‘All weather landing system ‘. Automatic landing was the obvious choice.
The main test aircraft at BLEU were Varsity’s. This sturdy twin’s were used in all manner of tests apart from Automatic Landing. They were pleasant to fly and could carry an immense amount of test equipment and ‘Boffins ‘ In addition to the Varsity, Auto Land was installed very successfully in, Vulcan, Comet 4, Canberra and the American Airliner the DC 7. When flying the latter we always had the aircraft’s American captain on board and oddly enough we had to obtain a Private Pilots Licence, validated for that aircraft.
We flew in all weather conditions as a matter of course, and indeed, sought out airfields we knew were closed due to bad weather, to assess the available approach lighting facilities. Occasionally Mr Calvert the grand master of Visual Aid Studies flew with us and it was he who declared. The Varsity was the perfect vehicle in which to carry out these tests in relative safety. Many of these airfields were American and I often wondered what their aircrews thought when they heard a solitary aircraft doing circuits and bumps in fog when they could hardly see to drive their cars.
The validity of these tests is self evident. There can be few pilots who enjoy the prospect of a long instrument approach, the transition from instruments to visual, through an uncertain cloud base and variable ground conditions such as, rain, snow, mist or fog. The inputs imposed upon a pilot at the latter stages of an instrument approach are enormous. I recall a senior line pilot saying during a lecture on this subject.....”At 100Ft when you have yet to see the runway, following an instrument descent, you reach the threshold of PAIN.” He was so right.
All our automatic landing tests were carried out using a single channel system. That is to say one of each piece of equipment, Autopilot, Radio Altimeter, ILS (Instrument Landing System) receiver.etc.The proposed civilian versions (Trident) would have three of everything as a safety, belt and braces measure. The whole process, apart from some switch pulling, was automatically controlled....Height and heading....ILS and glide path acquisition ...And one of my favourite items ‘Automatic throttle control...‘ Dial your speed’...What more could one ask for. It meant that the pilot could literally sit ‘ Hands off ‘with confidence, until the point of touchdown. In the event of any crosswind, the drift angle was automatically kicked off just before this point. Naturally in fog one does not anticipate strong wind.
We had a long standing contingency plan that if London Airport was ever closed because of fog we would go in and carry out circuits and landings to demonstrate the system. On the 4th December 1962 my colleague ‘Pinky Stark’ went there to do just that but unfortunately his aircraft lacked a vital piece of test equipment which was to have given him directional guidance after the automatic pilot had been disengaged on landing. He was thus restricted to do touch and go landings. Had the fog been less dense and he could have seen at least two centre line lights he would of course have carried out full stop landings.

On the 5th December 1962. Having flown the Comet in the morning I was told to be ready to take a Varsity to London Airport that night to complete the demonstrations. On this occasion I would have the aircraft equipped with the new ‘Runway Guidance Indicator’. This was in ‘Breadboard state ‘. Not yet built into the instrument panel. It consisted of a tube passing over my right shoulder, projecting a Sperry Zero Reader ILS signal onto a ‘Head Up Display’, on a glass prism, mounted on the instrument panel coaming. This piece of equipment was essential in the exceptional conditions which prevailed. The actual ( RVR ) Runway Visual Range on this night was 45 Feet. To put that into perspective, runway centre line lights are spaced at 100Feet, thus only one centre line light could be seen at any one time. Another interesting observation would be...That an observer standing at the edge of the runway, would be unable to see a fully lit Vulcan, stationary on the centre line! I had never before experienced fog as dense as this.
We took off from Bedford at dusk and carried out two circuits and full stop landings to test the new ‘Runway Guidance’ equipment. It was working efficiently so we left Bedford and was soon circuiting London Airport. The conditions were most unusual; above 300 feet the sky was clear but in the London basin lay this dense ‘ Pea soup’. There were no signs of lights beneath.... London was at a standstill... No buses, no trains... We were to learn that none of the VIP’s scheduled to join us for the demonstration could get to the airport.
However, we were there and plunging into the ‘soup’ on ‘Auto’s using the standard ILS, for azimuth and glide path indication... Soon after we entered the fog we heard the clatter of ice being thrown off the prop’s onto the fuselage....De-icers on...We were already ‘locked’ on the glide path and quite soon the Inner marker beeped, there was no sign of approach lights although we knew they were on....Touch-down still no lights, but we were on the centre line as I could feel from the centre line light pods touching our nose wheel.....Throttles and Auto-land were switched off and I kept straight manually using our new toy...runway guidance.....very gingerly on the brakes lest they cause a swing and so to a full stop. Now, not being able to see any lights at all, how was I going to turn around and return to the take off point? LAP Airfield Radar came to our aid and was able to navigate us through 180 degrees and direct us back to the take off position for a further circuit.
We were supposed to gather up a number of VIP’s at this point but as I have said the fog was such that they were unable to get to LAP. We did however manage to pick up Captain Poole the BEA training pilot. He was brought out in a van navigated by the splendid Ground Radar...I’m sure they could see a Ferret cross the runway.
We carried out four circuits and landings and returned to Bedford....I have often wondered what the authorities would have said had they known that my Instrument Rating had expired some days before!!!!!

Flt.Lt.C. Grogan AFC

CamelPilot
26th Oct 2003, 16:32
Padhist

Thank you very much for that. A great story lucidly told. The precursor no doubt to the current Auto Land.

Your tale is very much the type of recollection I enjoy seeing on this forum. Thanks again.

I am sure you will get plenty of comment.

CP

spekesoftly
26th Oct 2003, 16:43
Brilliantly told, fascinating detail - thank you!

Sir George Cayley
26th Oct 2003, 16:49
A friend of mine's father was killed in a Varsity crash just after the war whilst on "secret" test flying.

Could it have been connected with these trials?. Do you know anything about the crash.?

PM me if its not for public consumption pls

Sir George Cayley

Speedbird48
26th Oct 2003, 18:59
Excellent write up from a very brave pilot. I recall being shown the video of an auto land taken from the Varsity when I was being given Cat3 training on the L1011. We were all terrified!! The main problem was that the video was taken from the bomb aimers pannier underneath the Varsity and that is about 3 feet from the runway! The L10' was of course 23/25 feet from the ground and gave a much different perspective.

It was those brave folks, (single channel!!) that gave us the equipment to be ahead of the world.

Neil Williams gave a good story of landing at Mackrihanish?? in a Hastings having heard an airplane doing touch and goes with a weather report that was zero, zero. They ignored the weather report and landed anyway. Quite a feat given the airplane and a good read.

I remember the LAP/LHR ground radar back in the '50's when as a young lad I was able to visit the new unfinished tower and see it in use. They could, and still can, track a labourer on a bicycle, yet we still don't have that capability here in the US??

Hudson
26th Oct 2003, 19:25
What a wonderfully told story. During a flight as a co-pilot with Tony Black who was a test pilot on the Avro 748 in 1966, I watched with admiration and some trepidation as he demonstrated an ILS in thick fog to touch-down on autopilot at Hatfield. Certainly nothing like the pea-souper described earlier but scary to me nevertheless. I think he disconnected the autopilot at the flare.

PAXboy
27th Oct 2003, 06:13
What a staggering story!!! Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to tell it.

spekesoftly
27th Oct 2003, 08:32
Speedbird48's 'video' story reminds me of an early 'familiarisation' flight I had in a Varsity based at RAF Oakington. Myself and three other trainees were taking it in turns to fly u/t R/H seat, under the close supervision of an Instructor. During the rest of the flight, we explored the inside of the aircraft, including the bomb aimer's prone position in the belly. Admiring the excellent view in comfort, I didn't have time to climb out prior to landing!
The Instructor had elected to demonstrate a steep approach, flying S&L towards the runway, until the threshold was almost directly beneath the aircraft's nose. He then closed the throttles, selected full flap, and dived at the runway, eventually flaring to a gentle touch-down. My view of the white Runway centre-line markings, flashing past my nose, at what seemed only inches away, left quite an impression!

Onan the Clumsy
27th Oct 2003, 10:20
What a fabulous first post. Here's to many more. :ok:

pulse1
27th Oct 2003, 22:15
Padhist,

I know someone who would have loved to have met you at that time. He worked for me on permanent nights and bought a house just outside Bedford where he thought it would be quiet during the day. He didn't discover that it was on the centre line of the main RAE runway until it was too late. The worse the weather the more you annoyed him as you droned over in your Varsity every 15 minutes or so - just enough time to drift off before you came round again.

A great story, please tell us more.

G SXTY
27th Oct 2003, 23:07
RVR 45' :ooh: :ooh:

An excellent read Padhist - thank you for sharing that with us.

DOC.400
28th Oct 2003, 00:29
Wow!

We are not worthy!

:D

DOC

BOAC
28th Oct 2003, 04:28
'All of the above'!

Thank you for the tale, Padhist. Thank you also for the work you and the rest of the team did on Blind Landings.

Pete Berry
2nd Nov 2003, 04:28
A truely remarkable story, by a very remarkable man. I am proud to say he is my Father In Law!. But we share other links - Aviation, and with the Vulcan.

I was an AVRO Apprentice on Vulcans at Woodford in the 60's. Hudson, in his response to Padhist, also mentions AVRO and flying the AVRO 748, during the same period I was at Woodford, I must know Hudson and hope to share a yarn or two with him before long.

I was talking to Padhist on Webcan today, he loves this site and is in fine heart at the ripe old age of 80. In fact, for his 80th Birthday, he went for a flying 'lesson' just to make sure he hadn't lost any of his edge!! Needless to say, the 'Instructor' didn't have much to do!! Long may it be so!

A great site where paths cross and connections through the love of Aviation can be remade.

Pete Berry MBE