PDA

View Full Version : Cringe-worthy!

WhiteRat Wannabe
26th Oct 2003, 13:03
Have just heard from a reliable source that a RACWA pilot was seen last night at the Craic in Hillarys wearing the full uniform!! Wanka bars and all. When asked by a mate what he was doing stated that he was a commercial pilot!!

F@rk me!! i thought this was the stuff old wives tales were made of.

Very poor form.:yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

MinimaNoContact
26th Oct 2003, 13:22
Unbelievable...
Can't imagine what his personalised plates say.

Way to go champ :ok:

Hugh Jarse
26th Oct 2003, 13:50
Isn't drinking in uniform a sackable offence?:E

WhiteRat Wannabe
26th Oct 2003, 14:44
I thought you had to shout the bar if you had your wanka bars on.

planedriver
26th Oct 2003, 17:34
Im sure the ladies would have been lining up to be his wingman.

Was he wearing white pants and singing 'You've lost that loving feeling' ??

What an absolute goose

Hope he reads this forum........ shame, shame, shame :hmm:

Grow up

Hudson
26th Oct 2003, 18:42
Probably hums to himself the theme song to the "High and The Mighty" as he flies a 747 on his PC....

the wizard of auz
26th Oct 2003, 19:58
BWAhahaha, RACWA strike again.
I know a couple of chaps that went up to the bar at the club one night, with extended epaulettes with about twelve bars painted on ............. had struts and all. Them mob up there weren't to amused apparently. no sense of humor them stiff upper lip two hundred hour fellas. I personaly thought it was one of the funniest things I have ever heard............ you have to know the blokes and the people they were taking the piss out of to really appreciate it. ;) :D

bush mechanics
26th Oct 2003, 20:22
Maybe he thought it was fancy dress night!!!We had a pilot walk into a local pub in uniform,What a W!@##$ker

reminds me of the days at Parafield,A group of new students would go into the pilot shop and emerge as 747 skippers,nice set of shinney wings,epillets,raybans.I used to go week in my knees!!!

Dawn Raid
26th Oct 2003, 22:45
I wonder if he was wearing his airside pass!!!

Just goes to show, theres a big difference between brains and common sense.

QNIM
27th Oct 2003, 03:23
Gday
Bit of a worry but at least it didn't happened on the east coast.
Cheers Q :ok:

hombre_007
27th Oct 2003, 16:02
I think I may know who the person in question might be.
And if it is who i think it is, im not one one bit suprised.......

Firstly.. He's not a RACWA instructor, did an Instructor rating with RACWA and is a RACWA wannabe (god knows why). And for all you Jandakot locals, does the number plate :mad: mean anything???

But lets not jump to conclusions.... :O

Ps- only a matter of time before the "Jet Pilot" sticker is on the rear window...

Kiwi Flyer
27th Oct 2003, 21:08
I remember seeing a GA type in the local supermarket once, had all the regalia on, I almost hit the floor laughing.:E

Just checked the log book, 5 years, 2 months, and 14 days since last flight wearing bars. Thank God!!!:ok:

I do love my current uniform!:D

KF

nomorecatering
27th Oct 2003, 21:54
A mate of mine somehow ended up with a box full of bars, so one day apparently with nothing useful to do, he unpicked them off the blue bacground and stitched them on a black long sleved shirt, bars from shoulder to wrist on each arm. lLoked awsome in a nightclub with strobe lights going etc *LOL*

Lets face it, how many of us bother to take our bars/wings off etc. I do mostly, especially in less salubrious suburbs, Bankstown square in particular. But you're hungry, in a hurry, by the time you get parked, etc its easy to forget. Been mistaken for the cleaner, buss driver, taxi driver, security guard etc.

Around an airport I would love a pilots uniform that says, in big bold letters:

I am a pilot, I only know how to fly a plane

No, I dont know where the toilets/arrival/departures area is

No, I cant carry your bags

Do I look like a tour guide

Find the taxi rank yourself

Your losty dog is probably on its way to Reykjavik

Charlie Foxtrot India
27th Oct 2003, 22:42
Did he also have the "chick magnet" (small round whizz wheel) in his top pocket? :bored:

YIPYIO
28th Oct 2003, 09:30
Has anyone stopped and thought this guy might just be proud of who/what he is? I for one very often wear my uniform to/from work and into shops etc if the need arises AND I AM FU**ING PROUD OF IT!
Get a life and leave the chap alone (unless of course; he really is a w*nker!):O

altocu
28th Oct 2003, 09:41
Yipyio,

I see from your profile that you're a PPL holder, so i hope it's not a pilot uniform you're wearing down to the shops!

Awaiting incoming. :ouch:

Captain Sand Dune
28th Oct 2003, 10:39
I'm proud of what I do as well, however I don't see the need to advertise it. I wear my uniform whilst driving to and from work only, and will only in public when it's unavoidable.

Chimbu chuckles
28th Oct 2003, 11:09
Spotted a week or so ago at YBCG two young lads with all the regalia on, and one with some very chubby strumpet hanging around. Commented that they seem to be letting children instruct these days as they looked so young...they were children, mid teens and pre GFPT:yuk:

Seems that as soon as they booked for S&L lesson they raced down to the pilot shop and bought all the gear they needed to leave the ground:rolleyes:

One can't even comprehend a lesson without said crap. A last minute slot came up one day and he raced home to get dressed before racing back barely in time:confused:

Now don't get me wrong, I take some pride in my uniform (except I HATE the tie) and appreciate the admiring looks from the chicky babes behind the duty free shop counter in the TERMINAL but once I'm in

1/. my car,
2/. my hotel room

the hat goes on the floor or shoved in the nav bag, and the wings, bars & ID go in the top pocket or the nav bag.

When I was an ab initio student if a student got all dressed up as though he was a QF Long hauller he was rediculed by everyone from the CFI down...and it did happen once or twice.

Chuck.

"...and appreciate the admiring looks from the chicky babes..."

What? Of that face that only a mother could love? :}

Woomera

YIPYIO
28th Oct 2003, 11:16
I AM a private pilot but I work for an organisation that requires all to wear a particular uniform.....and yes, I am proud to wear it whenever I might need to......that includes for television interviews and at various functions were we need to advertise who we are.:D and what we might be about!
If you have a problem with that, then get :mad: !

altocu
28th Oct 2003, 11:26
Yipyio,

Jeez mate, no need to get so upset! I was merely curious as to why a PPL would be wearing wings/bars etc, if in fact that is the uniform you are referring to.

Yours in reasoned debate,

Alto :D

Transition Layer
28th Oct 2003, 13:25
My two cents worth...

Before work the tie and bars remain off, and once in the car after work it's bars and tie off straight away - wings stay on only cause i'm s*it scared of losing the little b*ggers on the underside that keep them on! If I have to stop off somewhere on the way home then the wings are carefully removed!

As for GFPT/PPLs wearing the full get-up - the organisation I trained at made the wearing of "Wings" a very serious thing, and bars weren't of the 'gold' variety but have the company name on them. Wings were only awarded once u had completed CPL, MECIR and ATPL theory, nothing less. Of course they aren't for general wearing, simply a symbol of 3 years of hard work. We were quite dismayed when we found out the place down the road handed them out upon reaching GFPT "status".

The guy in question is no doubt a tosser, and if he thinks it's gonna get him chicks, he's wrong! Telling them he's a dolphin trainer is bound to be much more successful!
:D
TL

altocu
28th Oct 2003, 13:30
TL,

Now i know you're lying....all the woman in the kimberley were very impressed that you were a pilut!

Alto:}

Perpetual_Hold_File
28th Oct 2003, 16:41
Its quite simple YIPYIO, someone who deliberately wears their pilots unifrom to a nightclub is a ****wit.

Someone who gets around in their pilots uniform while they are shopping or strolling down the main street is also a ****wit

Proud or not, it's no excuse.

Getting around in full regalia highlights serious shortcomings and head up the arse misguided delusions of fantasy.

bush mechanics
28th Oct 2003, 18:54
Yipi,Old mate you are the bloke in question,arnt you!!!!Do you wear your uniform at the bus stop?????I wouldnt even wear my kit when i was doing my IF training,Because i wasnt at work!!!I spose the worst thing about wearing your uniform everywhere is people Probaly think you work for GREYHOUND!!!
A uniform is normally worn by professionals,Mate you arnt there yet,But by the sounds of it your EGO is right on track,Well done.See you up in the territory when you get your CPL.
Happy Flying!!!

OpsNormal
28th Oct 2003, 18:56
Someone who gets around in their pilots uniform while they are shopping or strolling down the main street is also a ****wit

Proud or not, it's no excuse.

Getting around in full regalia highlights serious shortcomings and head up the arse misguided delusions of fantasy.

Now that is what I and many others would call an intellectual response..... :rolleyes:

You might appear to have a 'thing' for arses by the sound of things P_H_F. Been stuck in your own for too long?

I'm with Sand Dune here....

I'm proud of what I do as well, however I don't see the need to advertise it. I wear my uniform whilst driving to and from work only, and will only in public when it's unavoidable.

Big deal if I have to stop at the shop and grab a bottle of milk or loaf of bread something on the way home.

I certainly don't have a 'thing' for wearing it out in public, but if I am either doing something before or after work and I couldn't be stuffed going home just to get changed to go to the shop again, the I'll damned-well wear whatever the hell I want, where I want.

But then again, I very rarely wear the bars when I fly anyway, so what is the point.

I've even read here someone having a go at someone else for wearing all the gear, when I know for a fact the person in question wears faded and torn khaki King Gees for his day to day flying. 'Twas a bit silly to see the lack of comprehension of the tounge in cheek nature of the post, but then again the internet doesn't carry with it the nuances of everyday one on one conversation.

Guys, if someone wants to be different to you, then maybe it isn't him/her with the problem. Maybe some of you should start acting your age instead, and just accept that some are different to you, or at least different things have different meanings to other people.

Tolerance and understanding make the world a nicer place, eh?

;)

Dawn Raid
28th Oct 2003, 19:31
Yipyio

I think what people are trying to say are that peoples actions should speak for them - not them for their actions.

The confident pilots I know don't brag/advertise what they do, they simply fly well, display professionalism and good airmanship -and the rest takes care of itself.

Towering Q
29th Oct 2003, 06:52
Dawnie, you're obviously referring to me there big fella.;)

I'm right behind this misunderstood chap. And if the music at this particular establishment was typically too loud then I would be wearing my Dave Clarks as well!:cool:

taresa_green
29th Oct 2003, 07:08
Year this is funny but I agree leave the poor guy alone, I am proud of what I do to.
Bloody west australians, I supose they are all ******s over there.

altocu
29th Oct 2003, 09:40
Now now taresa_green,

best not to start picking on the west australians. They have enough of a problem with us people in the "eastern states" (read anything east of the WA border) as it is without giving them anymore of an inferiority complex! :p

TASEsq
29th Oct 2003, 13:08
Two of us stuck in Maryborough (Vic) for the day once. Went into town and definately took aff all the bars etc. I had a small backpack with me.

Even still, walking into the pub for lunch, passed a bloke muttering "@#$&ing Mormans..". Evidently my backpack was full of bibles. :O

the wizard of auz
29th Oct 2003, 14:17
dream on, Towering Q, you know he was talking about me :} ;) Actually, so was Ops normal . ( and my ass does look good in the khaki King gee's) :p

compressor stall
29th Oct 2003, 14:23
Yep, I am sure that's what that 30K billy goat reckons too.... :hmm:

the wizard of auz
29th Oct 2003, 14:27
onya Stallie, thanx mate, but I'm sure they don't know anything about flying.... :} ;) (but your mum likes me ):D

Perpetual_Hold_File
29th Oct 2003, 15:52
OPS abnormal, why are you so excited about arses?

What connection arses do have with the subject is that you are one if you get around in bars and wings anywhere outside of an airport.

Now that is what I and many others would call an intellectual response..... You might appear to have a 'thing' for arses by the sound of things P_H_F. Been stuck in your own for too long?

OK then, so you are telling me i'm a ******** for what exactly? Because in the very next sentence you seem to be agreeing with me.
I'm with Sand Dune here....

Fool.

OpsNormal
29th Oct 2003, 17:26
I never called you a ******** P_H_F, that word was and is yours entirely.

I never agreed with you, and if your depth of understanding of very simple language is so small, then I guess the....Big deal if I have to stop at the shop and grab a bottle of milk or loaf of bread something on the way home.

And the....Guys, if someone wants to be different to you, then maybe it isn't him/her with the problem. Maybe some of you should start acting your age instead, and just accept that some are different to you, or at least different things have different meanings to other people.

Went sailing right on over your obtuse narrow-minded little brain. Now what do you have to say about that?

My remark.... I certainly don't have a 'thing' for wearing it out in public, but if I am either doing something before or after work and I couldn't be stuffed going home just to get changed to go to the shop again, the I'll damned-well wear whatever the hell I want, where I want....

...Still remains to actually be challenged. If you don't like it, then the problem is YOURS, and nobody elses!!!!!

You are getting your all too self important opnion mixed up with what you seem to percieve as reality. If you don't have the intellectual capability to actually mix it in this world then give it a miss, you're out of your depth.

As I said, I very rarely wear the bars, and I have no wings to speak of.

Thrill me. Now bring it on...
Ops.

bush mechanics
29th Oct 2003, 19:36
Woe back!!!OpS,
I wish you did wear or the **** soo on a friday night drink at work i can get a carton out of ya!!!
Drinking Beer at work with eppys and wings=FINE=case of beer!!!!
I dont have a prob with wearing my Blue pants and white shirt at the pub ,but be Farked if ive got frilly gold **** on my shirt.

bigfella5
30th Oct 2003, 07:17
I LOVVVVE these comments. A real crack up! Me personally.....couldn't give a rats bum what uniform an individual wears or when.
Must admit though, after wearing a uniform in some way shape or form over the years....coudn't have cared less what I looked like when I left the airport. In fact the only time that I took off the glitterey bits ( though after max hours...they weren't glittering no more!) was when after ducking down to the shopping centre to cash the pay check, I realised that I was constantly being asked where are the toliets or where the hell was Best and Less!!!

I'm all for cargo pants, comfortable top, no tie and shoes that don't look like you've worked out of the board room!!

Have to add.... the funniest thing I ever saw was in the late eighties when an individual was spotted at an airport jumping into a tomahawk with a full on helmut and flight suit!!!!. Even funnier was the reaction of the instructor when he got down to the tarmac!!!!!!!!. (the student actually put them on after the briefing outside!!)
Poor little ****** was roared at and made to remove his stuff next to the aircraft and carry it back to the club house!!!!
I'd love to see that again!!
Myself and the mates I was with were rolling around on the grass for 4-5 mins before we could compose ourselves!!!
Now guys....beat that one!

taresa_green
30th Oct 2003, 08:11
WHOOP WHOOP wind up alert wind up alert WHOOP WHOOP!!!

Keg
30th Oct 2003, 10:54
I dunno about the helmet but Air Force Cadets normally do their flying training in flight suits. Funnily enough, so did the RAAF when they were using CT-4s and I think they still do now during BFS at Tamworth. ;)

One of the good reasons is that it is fire resistant. Our bloke in charge of AAFC flying ops in NSW is a bit of a fan of flying gloves as well for the same reason. I haven't work a flying suit for years (about '97 from memory) but found them comfortable, workable and they had enough pockets to carry EVERYTHING!

sancho
30th Oct 2003, 12:09
Sadly, this story is true. It was at YSBK several years after Top Gun came out, and we used to stir the fellow concerned and his mate. We used to call them Tom & Nicole... they were always seen together.

We were all young and dumb once, so please forgive this fellow, as he has grown up and would probably look back at the past and laugh with you about it!

Hugh Jarse
30th Oct 2003, 13:22
I remember that young bloke at the RACNSW. He was one of the nicest and most enthusiastic blokes you'd meet. I must admit having a bit of a chuckle about the clobber, coz he could have put the money he spent on the Gentex and suit towards his PPL.

Saw him a few years later working in the pilot shop near Fast Eddies...

Wonder what he's up to now?

Not as funny as the (very young, possibly new) QF Capt that walked out of Cordony Bros Hairdressing in Macquarie Centre (nowhere near the airport), in full regalia after a dropping in to have his locks freshly coiffed. Looks around to see if anyone notices him, then coolly swans off into the sunset.

Young Jarsephine absolutely p!ssed herself with laughter at the sight, then made a rather unsavoury comment to me afterwards. :} :} Of course I kept a straight face:E

Perpetual_Hold_File
30th Oct 2003, 14:28
OK abnormal, take a bex and lie down before your head explodes.

Your ramblings make no sense.

But I guess it's all too much for my narrow minded little brain.

Either that or the sun must be hot in your part of the world.

That's my self important opinion. Get over it.

Fool.

OpsNormal
30th Oct 2003, 18:19
P_H_F, oh dear....

Someone calls your bluff and all you can do is name call and run to mummy - crying.:{

One might regard even the deliberate miss-spelling of my nickname a sure sign that for you having a decent discussion or indeed an argument about any subject is well beyond your feeble grasp. It is such a pity that the education standards these days do not reflect what is actually required of the students once they branch out into life. You only seem to reinforce that point.

Yes indeed the sun is hot here and the flying even hotter, but it hasn't frazzled my brain enough to not be able to hold a discussion about something without being juvenile enough to resort to straight-out name calling, oh, or was that merely suggestion?

You be the judge P_H_F, but for once keep your opinion to yourself, nobody in the real world is interested in that kind of small-minded mob mentality that seems to have infected these boards of late. Like sheep some of you, with nothing positive to say about anything.

"Cringe-worthy", no less.... :hmm:

Wiz, I have no opinion on your arse either way....:yuk: When are you gonna come russle the big, brown, not-really-wooly-but-got-plenty-big-horns sheep around these parts...?:ok:

Dawn Raid
30th Oct 2003, 19:09
OpsNormal and P_H_F_

Stop hijacking this thread, take a chill pill and have a laugh.

Wiz - see you tomorrow.

Cringe Worthy

Knew a guy that wore a full on double-visored helmet................ flying parachuters...........mmmmmmmmmmm

Not as good as iceman in a tomahawk...but close!!

OpsNormal
30th Oct 2003, 19:39
Dawnie, very much chilled, ta. I was just proving a point that many can throw stones, but not take them being dished back out at them in return.

It worked, and it's over from this end.

Cyber beer, P_H_F? ;}

bush mechanics
30th Oct 2003, 19:58
As Rexy would say"yibida yibada thank your mother for the rabits"

Perpetual_Hold_File
31st Oct 2003, 04:42
Abnormal

:yuk:

Fool.

Screw Jac
31st Oct 2003, 05:12
"Perpetual Hold file" kinda says it all doesn't it....

bigfella5
31st Oct 2003, 07:56
Thanks Hugh,
You're right...he is one of the nicest guys around...he ended up working in that small pilots shop near Proflite for a while then, as well as teaching martial arts (I think he's a black belt in something violent!!) and ended up being a stuntman of some repute working out of Fox studios.
Goes to show eh?

Travelling Toolbox
31st Oct 2003, 11:20
Hehehe!!

For such a trivial matter it sure has some stirred up.

P_H_F

I hope you don't spend your entire career there (on the file I mean) and get to enjoy the fruits of your labour.

As a groundie, IMHO if you earned 'em, wear 'em anywhere you please. Just don't drop - I hate FOD!

But, just remember, if you walk into the pub/dero club with 'em on and I'm there - mine's a Hahn Premium from the tap or a Crownie bottle please :E :E :ok: :ok:

TT

Life is not every breath you take, but what takes your breath away.

the wizard of auz
31st Oct 2003, 13:22
Hey Ops, mate, I was talking about the khaki that my ass looks good in........ not my ass.
I hope toi be working over that way soon with my fresh whirlymagig licence. Me and Dawny may meander over thst way for a weekend pissup soon.......... If his cook lets him. :}
Dawny, Hurry up...... I've knocked off and I'm thirsty ;)

You wanna see cool, you should see my new helmet. Got a cool visor and all............ might wear it in micks plane tomorrow :}

grrowler
31st Oct 2003, 13:37
Knew a pilot at a certain outback charter company who insisted on wearing flying gloves. Can't afford for your hands to slip off the controls of that high performance Party at a critical moment! ;)

bush mechanics
1st Nov 2003, 21:06
Hey Growler,He wasnt x ATC was he?Sounds like a goose we had up here for a little while.

the wizard of auz
1st Nov 2003, 22:21
there you go with the birds again!. just can't help yourself mate ;)

Towering Q
2nd Nov 2003, 06:49
Hey Wizz, what colour is that new helmet of yours? Not purple I hope!:}

bush mechanics
2nd Nov 2003, 18:07
Sorry Wiz,
But Im not aloud to swear!!!
What about Knob Jockey?

Aunt Mavis
2nd Nov 2003, 18:23
Hi Boys/ngirls

Have to agree the lad definately erred, but that's all part of growing up. You live You learn. No doubt in a few years he will also look back and chuckle at his own misguided courting techniques.

The big question is....."DID HE SCORE ???"

With Love

Mav

Continental-520
3rd Nov 2003, 20:33
The big question is....."DID HE SCORE ???"

...and then, could he have done it without the uniform?

Dawn Raid,

I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking such thoughts when I saw a photo of a certain parachute pilot beneath that helmet. (!)

On a more general note, why can't he wear his uniform where he wants, so long as it doesn't breach a company policy/rule or whatever, which I doubt it would since the said person is not yet employed. He'll inevitably find out that the novelty wears off and becomes a nuiscance. If not for anything else, at least it's some mild variation and possibly amusement for those surrounding him...

bigfella5
4th Nov 2003, 07:53
I'm with the aunty on this one. I mean....thats what it's all about eh boys n girls!!!???

scrambler
4th Nov 2003, 20:01
Wonder if it is the same guy I saw at an airport not so long ago.

Nice uniform, all the trimmings, chatting to a young lady trying to impress.

She asked him "so what do you fly" he replied, "see that BIG green plane over there, the one with FOUR engines, that is a C -130". pause "Well I fly a C-150"

Also Reminds me of the old question.

How do you tell a pilot at a party?

You dont he tells you!

Northern Chique
6th Nov 2003, 16:47
Cant recall ever having a uniform that could assist in getting someone laid.... always thought alcohol was much more effective!

Bar rules at home.... no problems wearing uniform in, but loose the bars.. or shout the bar. The offenders usually only did it once, as the locals usually got pretty thirsty at the sight of gold bars!

Anyother time I usually ditched the shirt into the backpack as odours resulting from pushing frieght and punters around the top end all day, was anything but condusive to getting up close and personal. :}

the wizard of auz
8th Nov 2003, 14:52
I have to agree with NC, I always have better luck with grog. :D Hey girl, when we gunna catch up for that drink?? :} ;)

Hey Conti 520, mate, he would have scored if he was wearing the airside ID. :}

duke of duchess
11th Nov 2003, 06:32
The one part of the unifoirm i HATE are the wings, and i dont were them unless i really have to, just think about it logically for a minute, a nice piece of metal with sharp bits, usually located right under one of the shoulder straps. You touch down at say 120kts somewhere between there and zero you have a gear failure or some other problem to bring you to a rapid stop, were not talking fatal deceleration forces but enough to do some bruising and damage, do you really want that piece of metal between you and the seatbelt?

besides which most of them look really tacky, although my current companys one aren't to bad but i still dont want to where them :P

have fun and keep :D

duke

Hugh Jarse
11th Nov 2003, 06:47
Speaking of sharp objects, I remember flying with a bloke that almost got a free triple bypass when his plastic book licence (the one issued after the bound cardboard ones) was forced under his skin by the deceleration forces of a prang. Left a perfect L shaped scar the size of his licence book on his chest.

Ouch.:mad:

Vapour Trader
11th Nov 2003, 13:46
Cringe worthy!!!!!!!!

I was once grabbing a bite to eat at the RACWA (I have never flown there and never ever plan to) one lunch time and happened to see a west australian college of aviation (or what ever you call those dick:mad: with too much of daddies money), walking with a flight case carried on one of those trolleys you see airline stewardesses holding...................if only he carried on......into a prop!!!!!:ouch: :{ ...................:D

Love

Vapour x

Continental-520
11th Nov 2003, 20:09
Hey Conti 520, mate, he would have scored if he was wearing the airside ID.

For sure!! But we both know that goes without saying...

Ah...

dwnunderblunderer
25th Nov 2003, 17:32
We got a fellow who comes out to our flying school who has gone to the trouble of having a pair of velcro wings stiched up with the name of the school on it. They stick nicely onto his military flight suit and go great with his green flying gloves. :p He flies a 172 and 152 around the local area.

I spose if he ever has a prang at least his mum will be able to ident his carcas due the fire resistant nature of the material.

Me and my mate periodically travel to the bakery up the road for a feed at smoko time. We don't wear flashy type getups anyway, mearly a white shirt blue tie and navy trou. But when we are together walking along, people always swap sides of the road to aviod being molestered by the mormons. Total crack up.
:D

Chocks Away
29th Nov 2003, 10:22
Gotta get back on track here...:p

The rules were very simple all through my (and colleagues') flying, Australia wide, apart from one or two areas' peculiarities, which added to their "flogga value". (a couple of Aero clubs the main offenders)

*:cool: Bars and Wings OFF at any bar/establishment where the companys' name could be readily identified and put in dis-repute by the consumption of ALCOHOL.

*:cool:Beer touched the lips, with these still on? SHOUT THE BAR!

... and yes, the bars and wings were awarded after achieving a Professional Licence/Qual. ie. you earnt a dollar from that Qual. and as such, wore a uniform.

It's like the number of stipes on the bars... you have to earn them!

For volunteers etc. wearing a uniform, I can understand but that is where the issue gets diluted.

As far as saying "you're proud of wearing it etc etc. so go jump..."... with the uniform comes certain responsibilities and standards of behaviour. Just remember that. Sadly the reputation has been denigrated by such "flogga" performances.

Chocks Away
9th Dec 2003, 18:17
Geez,:bored: I put a quick stop to this one with my last reply.

Just talk amoungst youselves... carry on...:=

redsnail
9th Dec 2003, 23:26
Last night I saw a bloke wearing metal, yes metal wanka bars. He also had a dodgy looking leather?? flying jacket as well. It looked more like vinyl but I was too busy smirking to ask. The wanka bars were interesting. I think it was cloth with 4 metallic trips on them. I think he made them.
Wotta pratt.

DavidGeorge
10th Dec 2003, 03:56
My flying club is apparently anxious to have its members trump this thread.

Just received an (unsolicited) bumper sticker in the mail announcing that I am a "Pilot". I wonder where I should stick it? (a rhetorical question ... no need to reply)

Chocks Away
10th Dec 2003, 17:32
(...keeping the blue up, over there Redsnail?:ok: )

redsnail
10th Dec 2003, 19:46
Yeah, only now it's mainly black. Wrestling with the joys of freezing fog. My uniform is more suited to strolling around Antarctica in the middle of winter.

Nevile Bartos
17th Dec 2003, 13:27
What's wrong with wearing the full uniform everywhere?

I often where my ATC headseat home from work and take a stroll down to the shops, to the local etc etc.

My girlfriend loves seeing me walk in the door with the headset around my neck. She starts talking, first thing I say "standby", grab a beer then "go ahead". Makes her all weak in the knees!!!

CHAIRMAN
17th Dec 2003, 22:31
'Nevile' you're a sick man that needs urgent treatment!

Wheeler
17th Dec 2003, 23:16
Is Yipyio's uniform a bit of a Mackers uniform? If so, do the planes wear something like that but perhaps not quite so chique too? Not sure flying those commercial bill boards is quite the cool wine bar image the 'naval aviator' types are trying to achieve but I bet the sponsors love it.

YIPYIO
18th Dec 2003, 05:14
WHEELER.......got me in one.....you want fries with that?:\
Like the general views on this thread; we might not achieve much but GOD WE LOOK GOOD!:ok:

Chocks Away
18th Dec 2003, 16:46
Thanks Neville, Copied that :} ...
you put a smile on my face with that one.

Willie Nelson
19th Dec 2003, 08:41
When I first moved to Darwin looking for my first job I worked in a restaurant.

Around eight o'clock at night a couple of B-52 pilots and crew walk in the door one of them was in the full flight suit. I couldn't help but ask him whether he was on standby or something.

He just gave me a blank look........."no why? :yuk:

It doesn't matter what you fly, there is a time and a place.

Willie

ulm
21st Dec 2003, 16:18
Clean cut lad, white shirt, gold bars slams security gate in lady's face this morning, then he fumbles to help as she punches in the numbers, did he do the right thing??? (after all, she didn't look like Osama Bin Laden).

She walks to her (own) C172, I went to my Grumman. Him, Mr Gold Bars, would you believe the F/O of a clapped out C206 with two Japanese passengers on a 30 minute joyflight. :}

(yes, I did say F/O, Right Hand Seat and all!!!)

My hero.

Hugh Jarse
22nd Dec 2003, 00:37
Hey ulm, was that you at Moree Saturday morning?:E

ulm
22nd Dec 2003, 04:14
No wuckkas Hugh.

Waaaay too far south for me. (Unless they got a wings and wine fly in that is :) )

Chuck.

Hugh Jarse
22nd Dec 2003, 15:36
Ulm,
just a nice looking Grumman who's owner(?) we spoke with on the way from NBR.

He was nice and quick to refuel and get it into the old Davey Aviation hangar there.

Haven't seen any vineyards in Moree.......YET:E

But I did see some new ones on the Olympic Way(?) on the way to Wagga airport the other day ;)

*Hic* :ugh: :yuk:

ulm
22nd Dec 2003, 17:24
Moree, Mudgee, Mullumbimby, could be part of Antarctica for all I know :}

I do refuel occasionally there though, commuting to Can'tberra (south of Antarctica).

Cairns to Archerfield tomorrow. 6.5 hours and everything welded down and cheap to maintain.

Grummans, can't beat em (see Ian Findlay's article in the latest AOPA Mag :) ).

Chuck

Mr. Hat
27th Dec 2003, 16:39
The way I do it?

Going to the shops or home take the airside pass and name tag off. My bars stay on. Why? Couldn't be farked fidgeting to get them on or off with those barstard pieces of cotton that stop you from sliding them thru.

Going to a pub in uniform? What an idiot.

Don't get too excited on this topic kids. At the end of the day if you think that people even take notice of your bars at the servo you are getting carried away with self importance. Who cares - its a uniform for a job. Big deal.

The worst effort I've seen? An AJ in the full army get up in a nightclub. ******. Nam is over and saddams been captured go back to boy scouts.

the wizard of auz
28th Dec 2003, 09:18
I don't wear me uniform anymore..........., got a tad discouraged when I noticed that the bloke that drives the bus through here had more stripes than me.
I noticed that when I was in melbourne, one of the taxi drivers was wearing a uniform very much like mine, with about six stripes too.
then the tour guide in coral bay had more stripes than me too, and it was her first day on the job.
I wear whatevers comfortable now days........ and you don't get all the dumb questions after work either.

Northern Chique
29th Dec 2003, 10:08
My current uniform, white shirt, black pants, black eppilettes with a slim gold bar and a huge badge on sleeve. At the shopping centre on the way home from work the other day in my spare uniform with eppilettes and name tag removed... my other one was soaked on a job so had no spare t-shirt to wear. (Heaven forbid I get caught in another downpour).... I noticed a strange effect...

the parting of the crowds... usually only happens when driving a stretcher and all my kit on it through the mall. Wish theyd do that when Im trying to drive from A to B with the lights and sirens running. People stopped and talked to me... it was weird. I was asked everything from subscription questions to the sympathy lines. Didnt help with the queue at the register though ... :D

Needless to say I have two spare T-shirts in my locker at work now!

the wizard of auz
29th Dec 2003, 20:37
Bugga....... I almost rushed a trip up your way while the wet was still on. :}

Captain Sand Dune
30th Dec 2003, 12:21
An AJ in the full army get up in a nightclub. ******. Nam is over and saddams been captured go back to boy scouts. :eek:
....typical army......:rolleyes:

SeldomFixit
30th Dec 2003, 12:45
Pi$$ poor camo if you could actually see the ****

Mr. Hat
31st Dec 2003, 05:02
You never know when bin laden could show up i suppose....

Northern Chique
31st Dec 2003, 19:16
SeldomFixIt - you certainly have a point there! :D

pesawat_terbang
2nd Jan 2004, 06:50
One of the worst I saw, AOPA VP Hamilton at Avalon, gee you'd think he flew Sopwith Camels in Vietnam from all the cr@p he was wearing.

Pretty good walking museum piece I suppose.

Sampai Jumpa Lagi

PT

halfmoon
4th Jan 2004, 21:40
Here's a good one.

I was doing an overnight with a brand new FO, we get to the hotel and i told him and the FA to meet me in the lobby at 7pm so we can go downtown and eat/drink.
So, me and the FA where sitting in the lobby, elevator dings and the door opens.... who do we see...? My FO, FULL UNIFORM!! He had it all, even had his bloody hat on, sunnies and all!! What the hell!
I think some people have worn out there "top gun" video!

Malfunction Junction
5th Jan 2004, 09:50
Pulled into the 'Gong for fuel two weeks ago.....CFI and two other instructors there....CFI with 4 bars with gold pips, two instructors with 3 bars and 2 bars respectively........they are flying around in Cessna 150s for gosh sakes!
:\ checked out their hands and they ALL had blisters from cranking each other:{ :8 :E

Reverseflowkeroburna
9th Jan 2004, 20:22
Hey guys 'n' gals,

My SOP's involve wearin' the full (no tie) "clown suit" for the drive home (but then thats never been more than 10-15mins) because:
1) I couldn'ts be bothered with all them cottony thingys Mr. Hat mentioned.
2) I gets home to a cold beer a min. sooner than I otherwise would.
3) I could't care what the punters in the traffic think or say as I don't have to hear it.
Notwithstanding the above I'll always, ALWAYS take the option of changing out of it before heading to shops etc.

However, while on an around oz safari thing (that involved uniform on first & last days ONLY) at an out-of-the-way port a few years ago; a couple of other A/C dropped in & one of my pax queried why those pax got "real" pilots with all the golden shoulders etc??? What you have to do to get those extra bars?

Well I tactfully explains that it a very long and involved process, years of dedication, yata, yata, yata; finishing with "you pays about 38 bucks ad they're yours".

Of course the curious little, previously troublesome ****** turns red, while other pax laugh loudly; and subsequently shows nothing more than the utmost respect and cooperation for remainder of the trip!!!

"So you see lads, 32 of those gold bars could have the world at your feet on Sat. night".

I guess some of us need all the help we can get??

deeper
14th Jan 2004, 05:36
One helicopter company gets all students and pilots into flight suits of all colours, (great for safety while flying).

They also wear them to and from the airport, into town to the shops, at the aero club friday and saturday night and have even been seen out dining in said attire.

bush mechanics
14th Jan 2004, 19:06
Deeper need we say anymore?
Tossers.

B767MAD
28th Jan 2004, 17:38
A story my old man told me.He was at a north shore school dinner with his partner (dragged along as usual) and one gentleman turns up in full uniform bar the hat. Seated at dads table he asked if he just returned home or was on stby...

"..No..." was the reply. :yuk:

VH-BIG
28th Jan 2004, 19:38
Three months.......98 replies..........You folks should get a life!!!

I think I know who you refer to and he is a bit of a "shlong", but shurely you can hang sh-t on somebody who is worthy of such a fanclub.

:ok:

m-dot
29th Jan 2004, 17:16
Sorry but Ive had enough of this b.s.

I read pprune thinking I might get an insight into come intelligent opinions on a few grey areas of aviation and most times it is.... but this is just crap.

You guys bitching to each other over uniforms.. go get a life.

So what if some poor snoozer wants to wear a uniform out on the town.. good luck to him.. he'll learn soon enough why you shouldnt. Each to their own.

And you cream puffs who are taking the piss out of this guy need to remember its a friggin uniform... so what. Its just a job (but a great job!). After a while (hopefully) you will see that.

Some of you guys need to get another interest.

Spend more time trying to help yourself than dragging down others. You will probably live a happier life.

Cant this Woomera bloke put an end to this rubbish???

bush mechanics
29th Jan 2004, 20:35
M Dot
You seriously didnt think you might find intelligent opinions in here did you?
Someone need a valium and a little lay down?

m-dot
29th Jan 2004, 21:44
Yeah thanks bush mechanic. Bit of a stressful time at the moment mate!

I take it you are from the Springs mate. Obviously seen the doco. Good one.

Cant believe I am getting sucked into posting stuff!!

Towering Q
30th Jan 2004, 08:20
A bit of light hearted p!ss-take never hurt anyone. Think of this as a discussion on the finer points of 'how not to conduct oneself in public'.

I always check this thread out when it goes back to the top, maybe I need to get out more.:{

White Rat, it appears you have created a monster.:E

the wizard of auz
30th Jan 2004, 14:24
Hey Towering Q, did airwreck get a mention on this thread............. or should we mention him?;)

iwac
30th Jan 2004, 18:30
GOOD ONE M-DOT

I bet you're one of those poonces who struts around in their uniform all day long even when not at work.

I think that you need to go out and get another interest, your obviously just too high and mighty for anyone else.

I bet you're just another poonce instructor who struts around with gold bars and braid who flys a 150.

Bet you wear white socks up to your knees too.

Curved Approach
30th Jan 2004, 20:25
Take note of the majority of the people (not all of you, i apologise in advance to those who are not amongst who i am talking about) who post in here, and in threads similiar to this trashy banter, of their nicknames....you wont see them anywhere makign reasonable conversation or points.

oh well, not to take the piss out of anyone, your all :ok:

on a lighter note, i admit i have been guilty of having lunch in a cafe in a flying suit with patches and all on (at least i earned the patches) and i had no other clothes to change into):O

i wonder will this be the end of this enlightening thread!!! naahhhh

m-dot
31st Jan 2004, 06:45
Onya iwac.

How do you spell CAWI backwards?? Uh huh!

Bet you are one of those poonces who would try to drop 20 guarana tablets to get a natural high!!!

You are cleared direct to Tjuntjuntjarra via Ponton Creek, Plumridge Lake at 5000.

Friday night at 2100. What the hell are you doing at home mate??

PS

Bring on the Dash