PDA

View Full Version : For Info - Interesting Program on Channel Seven 30th October

Gunnadothat
26th Oct 2003, 11:44
Just hope it is not another sensationalist media beatup disguised as a doco........ precis taken from AOL media timetables.

Program Details : Thursday 30 October 2003
8.30pm - 9.30pm | Seven

Mayday - Unlocking Disaster
New Series
Premiere
Genre: Documentary

Follow the survivors and family members of crash victims and transportation safety investigations as they piece together the evidence of the causes of major air accidents, highlighting the latest developments in computerised flight technology and examining the debate these advances bring forward. Return to the scene, when just out of Honolulu the cargo door of United Airlines Flight 811 opens at an altitude of 33,000 feet, ripping a huge hole in the 747 taking out five rows of seats and nine passengers with it. The team investigates how delays in fixing known design faults can have tragic consequences.

smandkjc
13th Nov 2003, 05:55
What did you think of the program ?

blueloo
13th Nov 2003, 06:15
****** i missed the last 2 episodes of this program, anyone know if it can be bought on DVD, or Video? Or if someone has posted it on the net anywhere?

Blastoid
13th Nov 2003, 07:00
Aside from the typical screen shots of the shaking cabins and passengers who "knew they were going to die", the two that have been on so far have been very well done and interesting.

Tonight's (13 November) will be interesting - Swissair 111 - especially since the findings by Transport Canada on the cuases were inconclusive (I think).

It is an American Program, I am also looking for the video since Channel 7 keeps running over and I miss the end of the shows. :( Maybe if you see the end of the show it might have the production team/channel in the credits.

hoss
13th Nov 2003, 07:30
Yep, I'll back-up Blastoid it's a pretty good program:) .

Looking forward to watching it tonight(swissair111). If anyone finds out if it is on VHS or DVD please let us know here on the PPRuNe:ok: .

Should be a good CRM/Human Factors resource:) .

Buster Hyman
13th Nov 2003, 07:35
I'm pretty sure it's a UK/Canadian co production, but I was wrong once before!

Excellant use of CGI helps explain damage effects, especially the UA one.

I liked th FO's comments on the second episode. Love to have heard the real CVR instead of the actors!

dogcharlietree
13th Nov 2003, 10:33
From what I can see, it was made by "Near-miss productions".
6 one hour doco's for Discovery channel.
Canada - France - UK joint production.

I believe it is factual and yes, looking forward to tonights episode.

SkySista
13th Nov 2003, 22:28
Enjoying this program for the most part. But, as usual, 7 has decided to yank it after only 3 episodes. I'm curious to know what the others were - wouldn't mind one of Mt Erebus, or Aero Peru 603 (real :mad: -up there).

Typical network behavior, pull all the good stuff for reality TV crap :*:

Anyone know the appropriate address/email to lob a complaint at #7???

I have the first three eps on tape, if anyone's interested and VHS/DVD not otherwise avilable.

SS

Buster Hyman
14th Nov 2003, 05:41
I'm suprised it lasted 3 episodes really!

A sad state of affairs in Oz TV, if the show doesn't pull the ratings, yank it ASAP. Stuff the loyal viewers!:mad:

blueloo
14th Nov 2003, 05:53
I only managed to watch the third episode but found it quite fascinating. Just curious if much was dramatised for TV.

I wouldnt mind getting a look at the first 2 episodes - I sent an email to Channel 7 - and await a reply, but i wont hold my breath.

The thing the show hopefully highlighted to the general punter is that there is tremendous responsibilty on the pilots shoulders and whilst companies, ex prime ministers and many pax treat you like bus drivers, when things go wrong you can't just pull to the side of the road and get off. Hopefully such responsibilty is fairly remunerated - and hopefully people wont sell themselves and professionalism for less.

I wish Ch7 would show the remaining episodes.

smandkjc
14th Nov 2003, 06:10
The first program in the series Unlocking Disaster was produced by Stone City Films Uk and was a co production for 5 in association with Discovery Canada, France 5 and Canal D ( a British French and Canadian co production).
The series was sold to the National Geograhic Channel on the strength of Unlocking Disaster.
Leo Singer the Director of Stone City Films filmed us here in Wellington NZ and then went on to Canada to do the second in the series.
Leo was only producing 2 of the 6 maybe only three have been completed so far.
We thought it was the best doco on UA 811 that we have seen.
We did try to get to listen to the CVR tapes but the NTSB would not allow it.
The doco does follow the printed version fairly closely.

GoGirl
14th Nov 2003, 23:14
I only saw the final installment; Swissair 111

As far as I could tell, non sensationalistic, doco style, and although nothing already unknown, quite interesting.

I'm sorry to say that I thought a bit of cred of the show was lost on the personalised story of the father who lost his daughter.
Personally, I didn't feel that the essence of the program warranted 'personal tales' of loss and tragedy.
I suppose it goes hand-in-hand with the nature of a TV program and tugging at the heart strings though!

Buster I think you are correct however when you state it was a UK/Canadian production, although I'm sure I saw something about FrenchTV (?) in the credits too.

GG

smandkjc

Sorry, I actually didn't see your post prior to making my comment to Buster

Thanks for the info :ok:

GG

SkySista
17th Nov 2003, 13:04
CVRs seemed to be pretty much as is. I agree it would have been more interesting to hear the actual pilot's voices with the re-creations, but can also see how this would lead to legal action etc etc, also cause undue distress to pax/families involved.

The thing that spun me out on episode 2 was the NTSB computer sim, did you see the movements of the yoke when they went off the runway??? Sheesh!!!

All in all though, a pretty good show. I guess we can't expect perfection when they're trying to make things rate.

GoGirl, I can see your point about the Swissair one, the father, but I guess it probably helped in some way that he could talk about his daughter. Maybe it would have been better on a longer doco. I personally would have liked to see maybe from other people on that one, guess maybe they declined to comment. Have to say however that including the family on UAL 811 was highkly relevant to the story, re: investigating so that was well done to put that in.

I just can't believe they had the guts to grab a box of docs and run!!!! Talk about quick action :E Not sure I'd admit it on tv though....... :D

Buster,
totally agree with you, networks will yank anything that doesn't rate, it's just a shame they couldn't think, "Oh well, 6 episodes is little enough as it is, let's give the aviation people their last three episodes to watch before we put some more crap on". Oh well.

SkySista