PDA

View Full Version : Australian Celebrations For The Centenary Of Powered Flight.

lame
26th Oct 2003, 10:11
I have seen quite a few articles recently, about events in various other parts of the World, for celebrations soon for the Centenary of Powered Flight.

Is anyone aware of any special events in to be held Australia, to celebrate this magnificent 100 years of powered flight?

Willie Nelson
28th Oct 2003, 16:44
What a coincidence, I will also be celebrating 100 years living out in the scrub on that very same night. I shall pencil it in my diary to get very very drunk that night.

:yuk:

Philthy
28th Oct 2003, 18:11
The Civil Aviation Historical Society is holding an Open Day at the Airways Museum, Essendon Airport on Sat 29 Nov - details www.airwaysmuseum.com (http://www.airwaysmuseum.com)

The CAHS and AHSA are holding the "Wright Memorial Dinner" on 17 Dec at the Air Forces Club, South Yarra, Melbourne. Contact Roger Meyer (03) 9818 4950 or Keith Meggs (03) 9580 0140.

There is also a fly-in at Point Cook on 17 Dec - the RAAF Museum is staying open late.

18-Wheeler
29th Oct 2003, 11:21
Already celebrated it on the correct date months ago, earlier this year.
I dip my hat to the brothers who came in second place but got more famous from it though.

Woomera
29th Oct 2003, 11:36
I'm with 18-Wheeler. The centenary of the first powered flight by New Zealander Richard Pearse occurred on March 31, 2003. There is also some evidence there may have been an even earlier powered flight - so the Wrights would at best be second, with some chance they were third.

Not_Another_Pot
29th Oct 2003, 14:33
Woomera said.....

I'm with 18-Wheeler. The centenary of the first powered flight by New Zealander Richard Pearse occurred on March 31, 2003. There is also some evidence there may have been an even earlier powered flight - so the Wrights would at best be second, with some chance they were third.

Geeze Woom, I may have got there first then!!

NAP:D

ugly
29th Oct 2003, 17:43

Gustave Whitehead is believed to have flown in 1901 - more stuff here (http://www.airleague.com.au/features/firstflight.html)