PDA

View Full Version : Norton Antivirus LiveUpdate

BEagle
25th Oct 2003, 16:23
After recently changing to an ADSL connection, I'd been having difficulty running Norton LiveUpdate - it kept saying 'cannot connect to host' (or words to that effect) even when I was already on line.

Having negotiated the simply appalling Norton 'cutomer care' phone system and waited 57 minutes to get an answer, I was led fairly easily through the solution - it seems that, although IE and OE might be set to use your Broadband ISP as default, there is a separate 'Control Panel - Symantec LiveUpdate - ISP' tab which needs to be told to use the same default connection system...."Where should LiveUpdate get your Internet settings" needs to be checked as required and the appropriate configuration option applied.

I don't know whether this affects automatic LiveUpdate; however, until I changed my settings the last update had been on 10 Oct 03 and I couldn't run LiveUpdate Express manually. Now it's happily updated to 24 Oct 03.

As it's crucial to have an up-to-date virus checker, I thought I'd post this in case anyone else is having problems.....