PDA

View Full Version : Air France pilot detained

Shore Guy
25th Oct 2003, 14:01
No comment......just posting a newswire report....

Air France pilot detained after alleged remarks to airport security

Friday, October 24, 2003

(10-24) 21:28 PDT NEW YORK (AP) --

An Air France pilot was detained Friday after he allegedly made remarks about the plane blowing up as his baggage was being screened at Kennedy Airport, authorities said.

An alarm went off as the pilot's checked luggage was sent through a screening machine, and he was called back to the machine, according to Transportation Security Administration spokeswoman Amy von Walter.

As screeners were inspecting his bags, the pilot made comments that included references to the plane blowing up, him blowing up and the story ending up on the front page of The New York Times, von Walter said.

Screeners notified Port Authority police, she said. The screeners completed their inspection and there was no problem with the bag, she said.

Air France spokesman Jim Faulkner said the pilot, whose name was not released, was taken in for questioning and released. He said he could neither confirm nor deny the pilot's comments.

The passengers on the plane, Air France Flight 23 to Paris, were put on other flights, Faulkner said.

In August, an Air France pilot was arrested after allegedly telling a security screener he had a bomb in his shoe. No explosives were found on the pilot or the plane.

©2003 Associated Press

AIRWAY
25th Oct 2003, 15:37
Geeeez thats the second time now, obviously they didnt learn from the past experience by their colleagues.

:mad:

maxy101
25th Oct 2003, 16:33
I guess the moral of the story is NEVER mention the "b" word when going through security!!!

M.Mouse
25th Oct 2003, 17:04
maxy1, No Kidding?

Toomuchsmegma
25th Oct 2003, 17:47
Bomb bo-bo bomb bo bomb bomb bomb!

airship
25th Oct 2003, 20:52
I agree with middlepath, screeners should make more efforts to learn English. Expressing or appreciating humour clearly indicates lack of professionalism. A serious disposition inspires public confidence and deters terrorism. A classic terrorist approach is to try and disarm airport security by uttering jokes along the lines of "Did you hear about the Cessna 172 which crashed in Bosnia recently? The SAR teams have already uncovered over 200 bodies!". Anyone who is not Bob Hope should control their frivolous compulsions.

Airbubba
26th Oct 2003, 06:06
Deja vu all over again...

See: http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=98732

Pilot held over air 'joke'

The Paris-bound flight was delayed as a result of the incident
An Air France pilot has been arrested at New York's John F Kennedy Airport after reportedly joking at a security checkpoint that he had a bomb in his shoes.

A Port Authority spokeswoman said the pilot was detained after making what she described as an inappropriate remark.

The pilot, who was not identified, was later charged with falsely reporting an incident. Flight AF009, which had been due to leave New York late on Friday, was delayed as a result and 350 passengers had to stay in local hotels overnight.

The flight eventually left for Paris Charles de Gaulle airport after a new co-pilot flew in from Paris, an Air France spokesman in Paris told BBC News Online.

The airline said the pilot had been arrested following "misinterpreted remarks". A witness told the French news agency AFP that the man had jokingly referred to a bomb in his shoes as he passed through security.

Airport police detained him and he is due to appear before a judge, as early as Sunday, on charges which could result in a jail term of up to 11 years, the agency said.

CowboyEngineer
26th Oct 2003, 10:09
"Your father was a terrorist and your mother smelt of Semtex!

Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!"

I guess he did.

West Coast
26th Oct 2003, 12:42
Is it really that hard to keep your mouth shut? Its no secret thats going to get you in trouble. Whether you agree with the TSA's antics or not you have to play by their rules, French or not.

JJflyer
26th Oct 2003, 14:51
It's like with SS... Keeping your trap shut kept you out of trouble...Right?

But then TSA is a creation of a different century and there are no similarities with their tasks...

TSA would certainly not provoke or humiliate nor treat anyone differently now would they...

Dealing with TSA has such a "Fun atmosphere" that it reminds me of Disneyland :yuk:

Seems that TSA has it for flight crews, but they are such a professional bunch that this is absurd, or is it?

airship
26th Oct 2003, 17:44
Breaking news...major security alert at Norfolk airport, Virginia! Dog fart detector gives highest explosive rating.

See http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/west_yorkshire/3213403.stm

Happily, this terrierist was allowed to continue on another flight.

zalt
26th Oct 2003, 17:52
airship - TSA must have been barking up the wrong tree!

Dop
26th Oct 2003, 18:14
Maxy101: 'b' word?

In this case, that would be 'Beumb' then...

Unwell_Raptor
27th Oct 2003, 00:47
WestCoast has it in one.

Security is a pain in the ass, and security people are usually underpaid and overworked. 'Jokes' or smart-ass remarks about security will land you in a cell at most major airports, quite probably missing your connection, and with a distinct possibility of a hefty fine or a little jail time.

Surely the message will sink in soon?

lomapaseo
27th Oct 2003, 04:16
Security is a pain in the ass, and security people are usually underpaid and overworked. 'Jokes' or smart-ass remarks about security will land you in a cell at most major airports, quite probably missing your connection, and with a distinct possibility of a hefty fine or a little jail time.

I doubt that underpaid and overworked can be established as a causal factor in their behaviour. And as for smart-ass remarks this is yet another subjective judgement.

The problem with TSA is their communicative approach, much like a physicians aide as he readies the proctol exam probe for your yearly checkup.

It would be better for all if the initial communication with the passenger was done by an electronic sign rather than a leering smile and a free choice of words to fit the personality du jour.

Pilot Pete
28th Oct 2003, 05:12
Just to turn this on its head..................

After passing through the metal detector and causing it to bleep I instinctively raised my arms like I was about to be crucified as I emerged the other side. The chirpy security man who approached me and started to frisk me down made an off the cuff remark as he emerged from my ankle area......

"Now don't go touching that fire axe will you..............?!" He winked and I smirked knowingly, petrified to make a retort in case it was a 'sting' operation!!!!!!!!!:p

PP

TDK mk2
28th Oct 2003, 05:50
recently I reported for duty in civvies with my uniform on a hanger and put it through the scanner as directed. After stepping through the metal detector I was confronted by a supervisor (who seemed to come from the back of the room) who stood just a little too close for comfort and requested to know my business being there. When I told him he asked where my uniform was and I pointed to where it had by now appeared behind him. Apparently still unconvinced he demanded to know my destination. It's so nice to go to work in an atmosphere of suspicion...