PDA

View Full Version : Concorde's Last Chance

jamierwilliams
25th Oct 2003, 01:29
Other Ppruners,

It has probably been of interest to you, the last flights of the gracious Concorde took place today. The more i think about it the more digusted i am that all services of the Concorde in the practising aviation industy have been obliterated. Why could they not keep at least 1 of the fleet maintained and in flying order? Surely 1 Concorde would produce a profit, unlike the whole fleet that obviously didn't make a profit for British Airways. I am interested in what other people think about the full obliteration of the amazing and prestigious Concorde services? It is up to us, the aviation community, to prevent Concorde being deceased into museums and into the realms of history.

J@mie

cessna l plate
25th Oct 2003, 01:35
I agree!!
I do find it hard to believe that some are being donated to the USA, after that country created so many problems for it and its order book in the firt place!

Surely someone (even the bearded jumper is better than no-one) could rescue at least one, if only on a private CofA for airshows etc, just to ensure that this piece of British history remains in the sky.

BeauMan
27th Oct 2003, 20:12
As I understand it, there is a possibility of that happening. I've been advised to keep an eye on www.concordesst.com for more details, but one of that site's major contributors told me on Friday that an announcement is expected from the CAA this week. I have to say I'm not entirely convinced, but....

polzin
28th Oct 2003, 10:15
Just curious , what negative things did the USA do to the Concorde. My only experience with it is having to be vectored ( and burning lots of fuel for a company that had to make a profit) so it could land with min fuel. Im not anti- concorde, believe me ! Just curious.
How could Branson have operated them at a profit ?
Surely crew cost cant be the only reason.

Groundloop
28th Oct 2003, 20:16
Polzin, how about denying landing rights in the US for nearly its first two years in service ie it could not operate the prime route it as designed for. BA had to make do with flying to Bahrain and AF to Rio.

cortilla
29th Oct 2003, 08:52
one of the concordes is being donated to the smithsonian. I believe it was washington that was the first city that banned concorde!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm all for cross atlantic relations, but this just takes the p**s