PDA

View Full Version : One other reason for Emirates and DXB's success?

Avman
24th Oct 2003, 21:41
Why is it that so many people fly Emirates longhaul hubbing thru DXB instead of taking direct flights? I ask because I wonder if many might be like myself and prefer to make an en-route stop half way rather than spend anything up to 15 hours in the air in one go. e.g. I'd prefer flying SIN-DXB-LHR rather than SIN-LHR.
Of course for many time is money etc., but given choice (and the time) would you still take the direct option or would you prefer to break the trip up?

Globaliser
25th Oct 2003, 07:58
If someone would arrange a LHR-SYD non-stop, I'd be on it, thank you very much.

zed3
26th Oct 2003, 09:23
Avman, You get a business seat for a reasonable price with the lounge in Dubai for the transit , where I am typing this now!!! See you back at the coalface tomorrow!

Avman
26th Oct 2003, 19:35
Hurry, hurry Zed3 ! The workforce is revolting!:\

Hand Solo
27th Oct 2003, 07:33
Perhaps its because Emirates fly from more regional airports than the traditional national carriers. In the UK they fly from LHR, LGW, BHX and MAN, and in Germany I know they fly from FRA, DUS and MUC. So, if you don't live within easy travelling distance of the main hub you face the choice of commuter flight to LHR or FRA then long non-stop leg, or local departure to DXB then connection onwards. The actual time spent flying is probably the same, but it's much more glamorous to fly on a B777 than an A319!

zed3
27th Oct 2003, 12:19
Hand Solo ..... very true , I live in the SE of the Netherlands between Belgium and Germany and so use Dusseldorf , 45 mins drive away (unlimited speeds!!!) . Schiphol is two hours away , on a VERY good day !

Avman
28th Oct 2003, 03:47
Schiphol is two hours away , on a VERY good day !

Perhaps early on a Sunday morning. Last time I did the trip on a Friday lunch time it took me 3.5 hours.

Wot No Engines
30th Oct 2003, 18:32
Many reasons:

1. At the back, 3 x 7 hour flights are far more civilised than 1 x 7 hour and 1 x 13 hour.

2. Price at the front - far better deals available

3. The lounge at DXB

4. The quality of service - The best I have experienced on any airline and in any cabin - the cabin crew actually seem to like having passengers on board (unlike a certain large, arrogant company I can think of).

5. Seeing the takeoffs and landings on the entertainment screens.

6. Getting "real" cuttlery for some of the trip