PDA

View Full Version : Concorde Memories & Related Threads

jbird11
26th Sep 2003, 22:10
I believe one of Concorde's final flights is to include a tour of the UK. It appears that this is due to take place around the 24th October visiting MAN/BFS/BHX/EDI and CWL. Does anyone know any details yet regards times etc at each station?

Globaliser
26th Sep 2003, 23:42
I think it's a day return trip to each of those points, one each day from 20 to 24 October inclusive. The last one (24 October) is EDI. Arrival at LHR is intended to be at about the same time as the arrival of the last BA2 from JFK, which has been retimed to 1600. I don't fancy the early start for the invited guests on that flight - it's an 0700 departure from JFK.

FlyboyUK
27th Sep 2003, 05:18
Here's the line-up for the last week

Mon 20th BHX Arr 1205 Dep 1600

Tues 21st BFS Arr 1145 Dep 1545

Wed 22nd MAN Arr 1145 Dep 1545

Thu 23rd CWL Arr 1145 Dep 1605

Fri 24th EDI Arr1200 Dep 1330

http://www.concordesst.com

And I got an airport SBY in BHX on the monday - hope I'm not needed to fly!:ok:

jbird11
28th Sep 2003, 20:18
Thanks flyboy
many thanks for the info.

Looks like I will miss it then I am away on the 21st back 24th on a trip and the time I get back up to EDI it will be long gone:(
never mind hopefully I will get the chance to see it at LHR within the next few wks

Cheers

EGCC4284
29th Sep 2003, 08:53
Does anyone know what dates and time's Concorde is due into EGCC for it's last flight?????

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
29th Sep 2003, 15:01
Hi try this link

http://www.ringwayreports.co.uk/concorde.htm

Golf India Bravo

FlyboyUK
29th Sep 2003, 19:34
Also see the post below this one

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=103629

Groundbased
3rd Oct 2003, 21:27
Anyone know a decent spot to view the approach to rwy 15 at Birmingham? I know you can get a good view of 33 from just off the A45, but I don't want to miss the last opportunity to see this.

Cheers,
GB

Jordan D
4th Oct 2003, 02:46
Not sure if this is the correct board to post in, but it'll do!

Could someone please tell me the times that Concorde will be at EDI on the 24th, as I'd like to be there to 'see it off', regardless of what my lectures look like for the day!

Jordan

FlyboyUK
4th Oct 2003, 15:15
Have a look at this thread

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=103629

Bmused55
4th Oct 2003, 18:46
I'll be there, along with another Ppruner

Anyone else going?

Bmused55
4th Oct 2003, 18:49
I'll be @ EDI on the 24th... I'm not gonna miss it for the world.

If anyone else is going, why not meet up.

Jordan D
4th Oct 2003, 19:01
I should be there ... does anyone know the best vantage points at EDI?

Jordan

Bmused55
5th Oct 2003, 00:56
Yeah theres a good point right next to the Taxi way.
The car park that is use when the Ingleston market is on.

Approach EDI via the normal acces road, as if you were going fora flight. Take the fist left on the Last roundabout before enteringt he EDI complex.... folow that road down and turn right..... you'll see the open space from there on and its easy after that.

If your unsure.... tell me and we can arrange a meeting time and location and I'll show you.
I'm going fairly early to make sure I get a spot. LOL

larry walker
5th Oct 2003, 22:41
For views of the 15 approach try the golf course, or the footbridge at Marston Green Station. The lane off the A45 which led to the field giving good views of the 33 approach and threshold has been closed for some months. You could try the indoor viewing area in the terminal, or alternatively the long stay car park.

I believe that Concorde will be on the Western Apron(old terminal) and will be available for viewing by invited guests only. You should still have a good view from the spiral steps.

I hope that this will be of some use.

jethro15
5th Oct 2003, 23:58
In addition to the above, cross the railway bridge at Mardton Green and go into the public park (Old golf course). Follow the path which runs alongside the railway embankment. When you get to the bottom of the hill, take a left turn and very soon you will find yourself at the perimiter fence right at the end of 15 threshold. Large open space there which gives excelent views.

However, if you are down there and Concorde does a 15 departure don't stand directly behind, (Seems to kick up more muck than others) and watch those ears..:-)

jethro

Cuban
14th Oct 2003, 20:20
Is there anyone based around Heathrow that could tell me which
runway the outbound 1223 and inbound 002 Concordes will use today?

Might be down that way and I'll take the camera.

Thanks in advance.

evenflow
14th Oct 2003, 20:50
The outbound will take off from 09R. The inbound would usually land on 09L, but sometimes will land on 09R.

Diesel
14th Oct 2003, 21:02
If LHR is on easterlies then most a/c use 09r. However concorde has permission to use 09L due to rough surface on 09r so my bet is 09L

Mark Lewis
14th Oct 2003, 21:10
The problems with 09R have been sorted now, and Concorde always departs with the traffic flow, however recently they have been landing her on 09R instead of 09L as evenflow said.

Cuban
14th Oct 2003, 21:30
Many thanks for the advice.

Uncle Monty
14th Oct 2003, 21:31
In the current climate, is it wise to be posting this kind of info.

Mark Lewis
14th Oct 2003, 21:36
I don't see why not? There are about 250ish people turning up at LHR every night, with the number increasing rapidly.

squarkident
14th Oct 2003, 21:45
Anyone with an airband radio could obtain exactly the same information.

747FOCAL
15th Oct 2003, 01:53
I thought there were no more concorde flights? :confused:

MerchantVenturer
15th Oct 2003, 01:58
The HTV West Independent News early evening bulletin carried Concorde as their lead story, revealing the final resting places of the five BA Concordes.

They say two Concordes will go the USA (New York and Seattle), one to Barbados, one to Manchester and one to Filton.

G-BOAF will fly into Filton on 17 November this year and this will probably be the final Concorde flight ever, according to HTV West.

She will be kept in part of the Brabazon hangar for the coming winter before being towed across the complex to form part of the Bristol Aero Collection which is to be transferred to Filton.

BA apparently have not denied this information, and both HTV Wests's business correspondent and aviation consultant say they are certain of their prediction

hobie
15th Oct 2003, 02:24
47 .......

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=105015

cheers ... hobie ...

BAe 146-100
15th Oct 2003, 03:15
Hi,

*Concorde G-BOAD will retired to the Intrepid Air and Space museum in New York. It will fly to New York on Monday October 27th , where work will begin to transport it onto a barge where it will be berthed next to the Intrepid Aircraft carrier. The museum have plans to protect it from the elements, but if their track record is anything to go by the aircraft could be in for a rough ride, as some of the aircraft on the actual carrier deck have seen better days. New York was seen as important to the success of Concorde within BA, and they feel strongly that one should go on display in the city.

*On 31st Oct Concorde G-BOAC is retired to the Manchester Airport viewing park. It will initially go on display next to the BAE Systems RJX100, currently the final ever passenger jet built in the UK. The Airport have grand plans, that will see the aircraft put on display inside a purpose built facility.

*G-BOAE will fly to Seattle (with a Tech stop possibly in Gander or Maine) on November 3rd. It will go on display in one of the world’s leading aircraft museums – The Museum of Flight, which included exhibits such as the worlds first ever Boeing 747 and a De Havilland Comet 4.

*The most controversial decision appears to be to send Concorde Alpha-Golf to Barbados on Nov 10th. Although Barbados was important to the aircraft with it scheduled winter services, the island does not even an aviation museum. A local businessman has offered to construct a facility at Grantley Adams Airport. Although with people going to Barbados to relax and enjoy the sun, rather than going to see Concorde, the decision seems flawed, especially when there are a number of aviation museums or attractions in the UK that have missed out.

*The world’s final ever Concorde flight will be on Nov 17th Concorde G-BOAF is retired to Filton. Concorde 216 was the final ever Concorde constructed and will initially be stored in the West Bay of the Brabazon hanger at the Airbus site. Eventually it will go on display when the Bristol Aviation heritage museum opens. Plans are afoot to display the aircraft at the Bristol Aviation Collection's new museum at Filton during the Summer of 2004.

There are presently no plans for a heritage aircraft to fly at special flypasts or at airshows, although if a last minute deal was struck with Airbus, G-BOAG would likely carry out this role rather than going straight away to Barbados.

Source: Concorde SST (http://www.concordesst.com/home.html)

BAe 146-100

Cuban
15th Oct 2003, 04:37
Just wanted to thank everyone again.

Got some wonderful video of the IAD outbound and inbound JFK flights.

Might just have to make that trip one more time! :)

eal401
15th Oct 2003, 16:28
Concorde G-BOAD will retired to the Intrepid Air and Space museum in New York.

Be better off breaking it up than sending it there. I've seen the aircraft on deck, they were a mess in 1999.

NineEighteen
15th Oct 2003, 17:34
What about G-BOAA and G-BOAB, the non-flying aircraft? I hope at least one will be for display at LHR.

0918 :(

Mark Lewis
15th Oct 2003, 17:53
Everybody keeps saying that the FIlton flight will be the last, but surely AA AND AB won't both be staying at LHR?

Lucifer
15th Oct 2003, 18:47
I have heard that one might go to Terminal 5, hopefully inside. I imagine that the other would be kept for BA engineering on the other side of the airport.

HZ123
15th Oct 2003, 19:15
AA and AB would take nothing less than a miracle to get them airborne. As suggested one will be moved to T 5 very shortly as BAA have offered a space for storage and which ever does not go may be retained for a short time for training (aircraft services)purposes as rumour has it that the Trident Society have been told to move the 3 as soon as practicable from the eng base. It has been retained for many years on the CST training budget described as a Ford transit and this fiscal priviledge has been withdrawn as the cost to retain it was not insignificant. Sadly no one else in BA is prepared to pay for it and anyway they knew that this day would eventually come.

Cuban
15th Oct 2003, 19:35
Were there two departure's yesterday?
I saw the departing 1223 at around 16:45, but when I passed
by later at around 7pm there were large crowds?

Thanks in advance.

Baz757
15th Oct 2003, 21:35
Cuban

That'll be people who did not know that cos of the IAD flight there would be no BA1.

Cuban
15th Oct 2003, 22:07
Thanks Baz757.

I work with flight schedules, so knew the change, but thought it
might perhaps have been one of the last week 'specials' and not
a scheduled service.

Guess they had a long cold wait.
:hmm:

Bumz_Rush
20th Oct 2003, 06:34
I was driving past LHR at 6pm tonight, and was surprised at the vast number of people standing near Hatton Cross. Then I remembered the evening Concorde departure. Exactly at 7pm off she went.......only problem 9L not R.....so I missed the pleasure of the big white bird from sky, blasting overhead. This was not the last departure, so why the local attendance.
The motorway signs were suggesting severe congestion on 24th near M25/M4. Is this the last flight date?

Bright-Ling
20th Oct 2003, 06:35
Get with the plot matey!! :)

yes - 3 returning at the same time next Friday afternoon

lots of interested until then!! :O

Self Loading Freight
20th Oct 2003, 07:46
I'm not normally a spotter, but for this I'll happily don an anorak from Milletts and invest in some fishpaste sandwiches.

And as all's fair in love, war and supersonic transport, I'm more than happy to accept any advice from Ppruners in hope of getting an advantage over the ravening mob.

What's the best plan of attack?

R

streamer
20th Oct 2003, 14:57
Hoping one you brainy types might be able to help.

I am planning to head to Cardiff this Thurdsay to do a bit of nerding and watch one of concordes last trips in the UK.
Does anyone know what times the flights will be, inbound or outbound? There are no details on the BA website.

Thanks

Streamer

Jerricho
20th Oct 2003, 16:51
Don't even attempt to use a road vehicle of any sort to get near the place. Try for the tube (Picadilly line). And early is good!

But, even then where to actually get the best view is another problem (if we're easterlies or westerlies). I would advise staying out of the terminals, as I believe the boys in blue can move you on if they believe your not at the airport for legitimate reasons (I think this is how they get around the illegal cabbie situation)

It is going to be effin kaos around there though!

MerchantVenturer
20th Oct 2003, 20:36
Check the Cardiff Airport website, link below.

http://www.cardiffairportonline.com/

According to the site Concorde is due to arrive at 1145 and depart at 1605. It would be worth checking this website because spectator arrangements are set out.

LGS6753
21st Oct 2003, 03:34
SLF -
A frontal attack with the fishpaste sandwiches should give you an unencumbered view....

Hold on to the anorak, it's cold in the cells (so I hear).

Scuzi
21st Oct 2003, 06:03
Is anyone going to see her? I believe that it will be arriving at around 11:40 and departing at around 15:15. I'll be watching from the GA apron.

I can't wait, I've never seen it in action before.

Hopefully Rwy 07 will be in use for take off!

glynn-kayes
21st Oct 2003, 06:43
How grateful we all should be that British Airways are bringing CONCORDE into BFS on its farewell tour,an aircraft that has been paid for by the people of the United Kingdom,then has made a healthy profit for BA,then scrapped,to be put into museums,broken up and eventually to be made into history.British Airways dont own CONCORDE,the people,whos taxes paid for it do and its the pride of our skies.Our government have let our so called national carrier dispose of the greatest airliner ever built without intervention and friday will be a very sad day for british aviation.British Airways should not decide CONCORDES fate.CONCORDE should be handed back to the government of our country IE the people and our government should then decide who will operate it next.BA never paid for CONCORDE hard working people all over the uk did,with their tax.

Scuzi
21st Oct 2003, 07:14
I agree with you to a certain extent. The people should have a say in what happens to Concorde but I suppose we just have to accept BA's decision. I've always wanted to fly on Concorde - maybe even pilot it one day - but I haven't had the chance and probably won't.

At least I'll see it tomorrow ;)

glynn-kayes
21st Oct 2003, 09:11
Scuzi,why should we all have to accept BA,S decision on CONCORDE,but we all all know BA and the government are so close knit that Richard Branson never had a chance to relaunce CONCORDE so another end to a another great British Invention and goodbye to supersonic travel across the pond.Also i hope among the crowds tomorrow are the ex BA staff who for years worked hard for BA at BFS and were totally shaffted by BA,s pull out from Northern Ireland, the said company being responsible for many redundancies at BFS including groundstaff,BFS based crew and the like.British Airways have issolated Northern Ireland from their network and they are not interested in the province at all,all except a few flights from gla.edi and man per day and how long will they last?

Smokie
21st Oct 2003, 10:03
Scuzi,
I would agree with GK. We the tax payers, have paid for it , Not BA.

It was "donnated " to them, by the government on the day.
They have had a great privilege operating it, this fabulous aircraft and feat of Aeronautical Engineering which has been second to none.

Why should they not let some one else operate it if they deem that it is no longer viable for them to operate any more.

If Branson or anybody else can front up an agreeable bid, M/O, business plan or whatever, then at least let them have an opportunity to put forward their plans and contibutions to keeping supersonic air travel alive. :ok: :ok: :ok:

gps117
21st Oct 2003, 15:09
to operate an aircraft you need the support of the aircrafts manufacturer. Airbus have said that after november they will not support concorde anymore - there the with no mainteneace support from airbus not event he Prime Minister could keep the aircraft flying.

When will people get this fact into their heads. Concorde has made a tidy profit for BA - why the hell spend millions updating her with kevlar lining three years ago.

All this crap about let branson have it, even he has said he cant operate after airbus pull the plug - slight issue of a certificate of airworthiness - you going to slate the caa next

and as for concordes being donated to BA - of course they were it was a frigging state owned airline! why not scurtinise the price they paid for all other BAC aircraft they operated (1-11, trident, vc 10 atp) bet you'll find most of these were donated

So get over yourself and enjoy the day - after all this is being done at BA's expense - if they didnt give a S**t you'd never see it in Belfast

PAXboy
21st Oct 2003, 18:49
It was the govt. of the time who sold the fleet to BA - who paid a hefty sum, the £1 was nominal for the airframes, due to accounting practice but BA paid millions on other items instead. I sit to be corrected on that.

If you are cross that BA have shut it down, start with the Conservative Party and end, as has been said, with Air France and Airbus. This decision is all down to them. For the record, this is not indicative of an anti-French mood as I like and admire the French. This decision was financial by AF and then Airbus made a decision, based on what we do not know.

BA was expecting to use the air frames for another seven to nine years, as I understand it.

TwinAisle
21st Oct 2003, 21:57
Let all you fellow PPRUNErs into a secret....

There will be parking all day at the Cardiff Wales Flying Club, again for £5 a car, and the club has far better views of the runway, and the area where Concorde will park, than you are likely to get in the scrum northside....

TA

owc
22nd Oct 2003, 02:13
What a great sight, sad that we`ll never see her fly again, huge crowds outside BFS anyone see her from inside?

Scuzi
22nd Oct 2003, 04:47
I managed to blag my way over to the stand with one of Woodgates instructors. We got some good pictures before we were told to go elsewhere.
It was an amazing sight. I watched it take off and land from the GAT. The sound was the best bit when it was taking off, nothing could compare.

One thing I noticed when I was standing beside the nosewheel was that they tyre was right down to the wires :ooh: They must be getting their moneys worth!

I'll post my pictures once I get them developed.

TangoZulu
22nd Oct 2003, 06:13
Or of course you could fly in to Cardiff to see her .......

TZ

darkbarly
22nd Oct 2003, 13:04
It arrives at 11:35 local, will be on the ramp at 11:45.
Tip for access from the M4, take a48 from culverhouse cross, left turn for Barry, 4 miles later right at 3 Horseshoes, past this, 1st left, narrow lanes up a hill, left again brings you out near the BA maintenance base where it will park and close to the R12 app if it arrives from the east. ;)

MerchantVenturer
22nd Oct 2003, 18:33
Is the Concorde flying direct from LHR to CWL or taking pax on a little jolly first, as I believe happened on Monday before the Birmingham visit?

If it's direct I should have a good view from my garden as she approaches the Severn Estuary/Bristol Channel.

Fingers are firmly crossed that we shall see G-BOAF again in this part of the world on 17 November when she returns home to Filton (if the rumours are true).

Globaliser
23rd Oct 2003, 06:42
All the Tour of Britain flights have "jollies" built in - all scheduled at 1:40 I believe.

Ghostbuster
23rd Oct 2003, 18:50
Well, I'm working on the Filton site at Bristol. Does anyone know the route she'll be taking on the way out at 16:05, and also, if she is going over Bristol, what sort of time she'll be overhead?

Cheers
Jo
:ok:

MerchantVenturer
23rd Oct 2003, 20:54
I spent half an hour this morning on the Dundry ridge with the whole of Bristol spread out below and the Severn crossings beyond. It was a beautiful, clear autumn morning with blue sky and only the odd wispy cloud. The chilly wind was a small price to pay for being at such a place on a day like this.

As always there was the transatlantic traffic above at 30,000' plus and traffic up and down the western side of Britain on UA 25. Con trails were sharply eteched against the blue and the tiny aircraft at the head could each be made out with the naked eye.

At lower levels every few minutes a 737, a 146, ERJ 145, a Fokker or something would leave BRS two or three thousand feet above me, with odd aircraft a bit higher heading in the London direction from CWL as well. Always an excellent 'plane spotting locale on a clear day but my target did not appear.

Perhaps she had left early on a jolly before visiting Wales.

Somewhat disappointed I cycled down the southern slopes of the Dundry ridge and had reached the quaintly-named hamlet of Norton Malreward when I heard a familiar sound in the sky.

Suddenly she appeared from behind a row of trees - about 10,000 feet above and slightly to the south of me, and thirty-odd miles from her destination across the Severn estuary.

I'm hoping to see her again this afternoon on the return to LHR.

Tonic Please
24th Oct 2003, 02:30
Absolutely marvellous. Straight over our house.

Had the scanner on so listening in. Have a safe flight Concorde. I will miss you. You bought tears to this household. The words "1,2,3 GO" will never be forgotten.

Smooth skies :ok:

Dan

paulhn
24th Oct 2003, 20:53
Good afternoon
Does anyone know the intended flightplans of todays flights, or to be more precise are any of them going anywhere near Southampton (fingers tightly crossed;) )
Thanks

Bright-Ling
24th Oct 2003, 22:10
unlikey to be Southampton!!
they will be going downwind at 3000ft for 20 mile final (approx Docklands) for 27R - all 3 will be 6 miles in trail

paulhn
24th Oct 2003, 23:53
Oh well, I was wondering if the Biscay flight might have routed this way from Guernsey but I didn't see it:{
Farewell Concorde.

MerchantVenturer
25th Oct 2003, 00:02
Saw BA 002 pass overhead just to the north of my house in Bristol at 1538 BST. Very lucky because the cloud was quite thick but there were enough gaps to see her.

Watched the live BBC 2 coverage from LHR but could not make out which aircraft worked the final flight from JFK today. I noted G-BOAF was the second to land (either the Edinburgh or the Biscay trip).

I was not over impressed with the television coverage, either the pictures or the comments from the BBC people (why could they not find someone who knows something about aviation?). Thank goodness for John Hutchinson who injected some professional comments.

Bright-Ling
25th Oct 2003, 00:38
I agree. Lots of concorde chat which was nice but no real commentary as to what was going on!

The 2 helicopter cam's were a bit of a waste of time.

EGCC4284
25th Oct 2003, 08:52
http://groups.msn.com/LatinFlyersAirportBar/concordesvisittoegcc.msnw

Findo
27th Oct 2003, 04:45
Edinburgh

EDI 1 (http://uk.geocities.com/colinlourie/421w.jpg)
EDI 2 (http://bmw330d.users.btopenworld.com/concorde/647T4475-1-640.jpg)
EDI 3 (http://bmw330d.users.btopenworld.com/concorde/647T4489.jpg)
EDI 4 (http://bmw330d.users.btopenworld.com/concorde/647T4525-3sharp.jpg)
EDI 5 (http://www.douglas.moncrieff.ukgateway.net/concorde/slides/concorde%20about%20to%20land.html)
EDI 6 (http://airlinepics.com/displayrecord.php?src=4768)

and you can find some other great pics on newsgroup free.uk.binaries.edinburgh-airport

:{ :{ :{ :ugh:

Jordan D
28th Oct 2003, 00:16
Some nice photos from EDI, hope to have my ones up soon

Jordan