PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed on Conversion of FAA ATP to JAA ATP & EMS Employment Prospect in the UK

993RS
24th Oct 2003, 19:55
I'm a 41 year old British national, living in the USA for the past 12 years. Due to a change in personal circumstances (no wild guesses necessary) I wish to return to the UK permanently while I still have time.

My experience/licenses are as follows:

FAA ATP Rotorcraft-Helicopter, 4650 TT Helicopter, 1500 Sikorsky S-76, Flight Safety S-76, 6 years EMS experience in the S-76 including 800 hours of night and 200 hours IMC, I also have 1000 hours Offshore VFR 206/407 and extensive other commercial experience.

I understand that I must convert my FAA ATP to a JAA ATPH. I also understand that I need to complete up to 14 written exams and a flight test. What is the best way to determine whether I have to complete some or all of these exams?

I plan on keeping my job in the USA during the conversion process and completing the study program by distance learning through Oxford Aviation Training, since I'm from Oxford. Has anyone completed this course through them, please comment?

I also have access to the S-76 I fly here the USA for the flight test. Would it be possible to find a JAA examiner in the USA and bring them to where the aircraft is located to give me the flight test ?

With regard to my Instrument Rating, is this part of the JAA ATPH conversion or must it be taken separately? If so what is involved?

Finally what are my employment prospects in the UK? I would like to stay in EMS but would consider other opportunities

Thanks for your input. Just standing at the bottom of another aviation mountain to climb!

shw
27th Oct 2003, 06:38
I recommend that you contact www.heli.com, the only RH FAA/JAA school in USA that I know of (based in Florida). They should be able to answer your questions on a personal basis.

SHW :ok:

2bart
27th Oct 2003, 22:54
If you dont go to HAI at Tittusville which may be the other Heli.com ref.they have links to Bristows training with George Bedford, foot in the door stuff. then try Bristol ground school for modular training distance learning in the UK.
As for HEMS jobs, companies are taking on for contracts over the past year.

Rotorbike
28th Oct 2003, 23:18
You might want to try FlightSafety in the US who are authorised to do JAA type ratings in the S76.

Or find yourself a UK FTO in this document (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/srg_fcl_ApprovedFTOs.pdf) They might be able to suggest an examiner who would be able to do it for you. Don't actually know if it is possible to do a checkride in a non 'G' registered aircraft. I'm sure the CAA have something against it unless there is a written agreement in place.

With your level of previous experience any ground training organisation should be able to offer you the necessary information to pass the JAA examinations. My advice would be shop around and choose the cheapest.

As much as they would like you to believe it, it ain't rocket science!!! :ok:

whoateallthepies
29th Oct 2003, 19:50
993RS

I'd love to go in the opposite direction and work in the States! No chance of a green card though. How did you manage to get one (if you don't mind)?:confused:

993RS
30th Oct 2003, 01:06
whoateallthepies:

To answer your question: I married a US citizen, that is the only realistic way to obtain status in the US if your a pilot. We recently went our separate ways after 9 years hence my return to the UK.

As for working in the US, it has provided me with many opportunities and much helicopter experience. Unfortunately the level of professional respect here, particularly in EMS is very poor. I hear this is not the case in Europe?

Can anyone answer my previous question on, what is involved to convert the instrument part of my FAA ATP to JAA ATPH?

Thanks,

993RS