PDA

View Full Version : Concorde Retires: BA just another Struggling Airline

gulf_slf
24th Oct 2003, 15:38
Today aviation leaps backwards with the loss of the only supersonic passenger jet & British Airways becomes just another struggling airline!

I was resident in Bahrain during the '70's when the Concorde came to Bahrain to undertake a number of test flights. I am pleased to say that my participation as a 'volunteer' on these flights might have helped in some small way with the eventual launch of the Concorde in as a commercial jet.

Bahrain played an important part in the trials of the aircraft before the airlines could initiate their operations.

Bahrain was indeed one of the first commercial destinations of the BA Concorde. In January 1976, as your correspondent states. However there is more history behind the early flights that showed Bahrain was a testing ground for aircraft.
“On 7th July 1975: Concorde 204 (G-BOAC) started its 'endurance' flying. Destinations covered were London, Bahrain, Bombay, Kuala Lumper, Singapore, Melbourne, Beirut, Gander and Damascus. At the time BA cabin staff were in dispute over rates of pay and other arrangements over their services on Concorde, so for the route proving the cabins were staffed by crews from Singapore Airlines, Gulf Airlines (sic) and Air India.” (Sourcehttp://www.concordesst.com/history/events/route.html)
I am sure that there are many residents who will remember summer of 1975 when British Aerospace Corporation in conjunction with BA brought a Concorde(G-BOAC) to Bahrain for a series of ground and flight tests.

The aircraft was required a number of ‘hot weather trials’ prior to the British Certificate of Airworthiness being granted, and thus taking the aircraft to commercial operations.

The aircraft operated the following flights that year:
15 Return flights from London to Gander
6 Return flighst from London to Beiruit
15 Loops via the North Atlantic
5 Loops in and out of Bahrain
8 Return flights from Bahrain to Bombay
2 Return flights from Bombay to Kuala Lumpor
4 Loops in and out of Singapore
7 Return flights between Singapore and Melbourne
5 Return Flights from Singapore to Bombay
3 Return flights from Kuala Lumpor to Bahrain
2 Return flights from Singapore to Kuala Lumpor
Total 130 flights
I was fortunate ‘volunteer’ that year to fly one of the ‘loops’ on the world’s most graceful commercial passenger jets ever to be built. It was an experience that will not be forgotten. I still have pictures of the ‘volunteers’ boarding Concorde for the flight!

As your article states the chapter began on 21st January 1976: British Airways began a London - Bahrain service using G-BOAA (206)

Though I have flown on the Concorde across the Atlantic several times, the flights in and out of Bahrain always to proved to be the most memorable.

On a BA departure from Bahrain to London back in 1985, the skipper provided the passengers with some background information as we taxied out to the end of runway at Muharraq and invited to sit back enjoy the service and the speed of the take off. “…. In fact Ladies and Gentlemen you will have no choice…as you will gently pushed back into you seats by the G-force as we accelerate for take off…we do not have to adhere to the same noise abatement procedures here as observed at Heathrow.”

With that the skipper took the engines to the maximum power before releasing the brakes and roared down less than a third the runway on the fastest take off roll that I have ever experienced!

It is great loss to see the great ‘bird’ retired before time, however I am sure that Bahrain can always be proud to claim that its cooperation helped the Concorde achieve the required superb operational efficiency in service.

Good Luck Concorde! We shall fondly remember you as the most splendid aircraft!