PDA

View Full Version : "On the Airbands" no more thanks to CASA

Wing Root
24th Oct 2003, 15:30
Well, I find this fairly amazing. I know "On the Airbands" has copped some flak (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=81770) in the past but it's a sad day when it comes to this. It is a new low for the mighty CASA.

From page 73 of November's Australian Aviation
CASA Central Office staff are reading On the Airbands with the intention of hunting for pilot scalps.

So, what's next? Big brother is watching. :uhoh:

bush mechanics
24th Oct 2003, 18:44
Cikeys ,these guy will do anything to try and nail some one.typical casa mentality,they can have my licence,Im off to make hamburgers!!!

Desert Flower
25th Oct 2003, 11:03
CASA Central Office staff are reading On the Airbands with the intention of hunting for pilot scalps.

Pathetic isn't it, if they've got to read a book to find out who is breaking the rules? Especially when some of them are far from perfect themselves. Perhaps they should get out in the field more often & do constructive things, like ping the Seneca driver that pops up at my airfield from time to time without using the radio so he can avoid paying landing charges. :mad:

cficare
25th Oct 2003, 20:37
nbelieveable that ******s can continue to cLL THE SHOYTS

splatgothebugs
26th Oct 2003, 16:07
Thats a shame it's the best part of that mag...........I'm sure that the editors will have something to say and replace the article.

Our CAA can be bad but it just appears thats CASA may have thrown a temper tantrim on this one.

splat

Malfunction Junction
27th Oct 2003, 12:03
ON THE AIRBANDS has been cr*p for some time now. The stories ceased being funny years ago and some of the reported stuff is just plain rubbish...this months effort is no exception. Bout time they put the boot in cos if it was meant to be the lighter side of radio traffic, then it has failed of late!:ugh: I'm standing by ready for all the flak BUT someone had to say it!
OH, and bye the way....anybody who SERIOUSLY believes there was anything quoted in that column in the past 3 years that CASA could have/would have pursued is playing with the 'little fella':\ I think it might just be an excuse for calling it a day!

Kiwi Flyer
27th Oct 2003, 16:46
I agree with MJ. I used to always have a chuckle over OTAB's, but the copies I've managed to get my hands on over the last few years havee got pretty stale. Should be called the directory for HF frequencies. Got a bit radio ham for me!

Still, CASA are just making enemies, and fools of them selves!

Grow up CASA!!!:confused:

KF

Cougar
28th Oct 2003, 10:36
Agreed MJ and KF,
There used to be some stuff in there that was good for a chuckle but recently it has turned into the "Bankstown Book of Unfunny Jokes" - Bankstown this and Bankstown that - for those that aren;t in GA at Bankstown its getting exceptionally boring. Probably time to wind it up, and as he stated "bring it back in the magazine somewhere else under a different name " (not intended to be a direct quote).

EPIRB
30th Oct 2003, 10:49
I remember back in the eighties when CASA was called DOA and they were referred to as NAFI. No Ambition and Farcken Intelligence. Maybe this just reiterates that. From an airline pilots point of view when you read about them carrying on so pathetically and wasting resourses on issues like this when there are important issues to be dealt with you really do wonder if NAFI is an appropriate name for them. Most likely there is a minority in there giving the majority a bad name. Reminds me about the time when one of their Shrikes was taxiing at Hamilton (Victoria) and an unknown aircraft transmitted "Departmental officers are d1ckheads." The department aircraft then transmitted "Station using profanities identify yourself and location." Reply from the unknown aircraft, "See what I mean!" Actually a true story.

TIMMEEEE
6th Nov 2003, 06:54
EPIRB - just the sought of story "On the Airbands" needs!

Thats the kind of thing people laugh at but the politically correct pratts at AA are too scared to even change the details to "heard at an overseas airport" to remove the stigma from CASA inspectors.

See what I mean?
Someone put that droll column out of its misery.

Taildragger
8th Nov 2003, 10:43
Well, I used to think that OTAB was (Mildly) amsuing, but it got less and less and less amusing. I thought it was me.!! Thank the Lord you have confirmed that some others thought that way.!!
So....ditch it.... That's what Newspapaers do to unfunny columns.
Having said that, I have had a couple of laughs over the column over the years... That said, I don't want to discourage a dedicated bunch of people who have contributed over the year.
If people are looking for reducing circulations, then maybe, the OTAB column might be worthy of the spear.??
Perhaps introduce a lot more kinky sex into it could be the answer.??......... Just a thought.
More aircraft can't be the answer surely.!!

EPIRB
9th Nov 2003, 10:32
I enjoyed the technical stuff. Cougar, I think you'll find it started to become Bankstown orientated because the author works out of there and that was where he got most of his material from.

MoFo
10th Nov 2003, 05:33
I cant remember back far enough to anything remotely funny on On The Air Bands.

The real good sh*t happens every day on the real airbands. You hear some classics at times, but you wont read em in no prissy AA magazine.

Pass-A-Frozo
10th Nov 2003, 14:36
the technical type stuff is wrong sometimes as well though. Several months ago they printed information about a callsign from "one of his sources".. after reading it, I think his source must be an overactive imagination..

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it printed bimonthly previously. Maybe the funny stuff is just getting stretched too much for a copy out monthly.

ZK-NSJ
12th Nov 2003, 01:11
a simple answer would be to let people send in their stories without requiring either a name or leaving the rego blank

Chimbu chuckles
12th Nov 2003, 03:05
NAFI is good but I've always preferred C**ts Against Sensible Aviation.

Chuckles.

MAXX
13th Nov 2003, 07:38
I agree with alot of the forums here,the airbands used to be a good read years ago ,however lately its gone from bad to just plain boring.

If CASA in their "ULTIMATE WISDOM" can find anybody to prosecute from AUSTRALIAN AVIATION printing stories about who owned what aircraft and what rego,and what HF frequency is best in what area then go for it guys.

you know what they say dont you,"IF YOU CANT DO IT JOIN CASA":ok: