PDA

View Full Version : Ifr Training And Icus On Heavier Aircraft

bluebird69
24th Oct 2003, 14:20
Any one a good school in adelaide for CIR training and icus?

leans404
24th Oct 2003, 16:07
I'm starting with Air South who have a theory course starting shortly. Some of the IF rating is done in a baron with ICUS on Cheiftain and Copilot time on Bandit available.:ok: check out the web site at www.airsouth.com.au for some info.

ladyindaboat
26th Oct 2003, 07:32
CIR, best of luck; remember you get what you pay for, don't go down the road of cheap and nasty (one day it'll save your life). ICUS, at the end of the day, yeh it's in your log book but believe me, there's a time and a place for it and unfortunately yourself and many other people who are at witsend with where to steer their career are being mislead into thinking it'll be benificial (Okay it is in some sense; you'll often pick up a thing or two from the guy your flying with) but lets face it, there's no substitute for having to think for yourself and getting real command time. Most of the companies people are doing ICUS with are expecting you to do it for nothing (people will) others will actually be paying for it, for the company they're in a win win situation; their insurance or contract often requires 2 pilots for particular operations and they're getting there second pilot for nothing. What you really need to be asking yourself is why the industry is the way it is. Answer: it's because people like you (no actual offence intended) are prepared to do ICUS for nothing instead of getting out there and getting a real job putting in some hard yards. which one would hope would inturn make operators employ a lagitamate second pilot (one day that could be you), I was once told, you get out of flying what your prepared to put into it, not a truer word spoken! GOOD LUCK :ok:

StraightnLevel
26th Oct 2003, 17:18
There are about five or so guys in my company that have done 500 hr courses. I think most of them went straight from training into a job and didn't have the privaliege of spending time in the unemployed pilot line.

Despite having a truck load of icus and co-pilot time in PA-31's it has done them well!!!! I could be wrong but GA companies do prefer time on type even if it is ICUS, it gets over the insurance hurdles.

Sure ICUS is not the same as PIC but if it gets you that first job quicker, why not consider it.

If your going north (DN, KU), get some time on 182/210/206 whether it be scenics or PJE Opps. For some reason everyone these days require 500 hrs.