PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Blue

Industry Ears
24th Oct 2003, 02:22
The predator waits. the public can hardly wait, NZ Airports, Pilots and Cabin Crew are being disceetly courted.

Competition is good for everyone.

PacificOrigin
24th Oct 2003, 04:28
Its all VERY exciting, the startup cabin crew have now been informed of their successful applications, and training for us starts in 2 weeks!

OH HOW I CANT WAIT!

tobzalp
24th Oct 2003, 04:53
Are they going to use the Ex Ansett CZ(something) 733? It is sitting right outside my window next to a NG 73 with PB on the tail (the NG not the 733) in brisbane.

TrafficBoy
24th Oct 2003, 08:29
no, 737-700's and -800's

those ex ansett dungers will hopefully just there for a bit longer until they get banished to some desert in arizona!

propaganda
24th Oct 2003, 15:11
Cabin Crew starting their courses, what about the drivers.
Any news on NG courses in Brissy with the parent company..

Maisk Rotum
24th Oct 2003, 18:11
So far only one senior pilot hired; he ex CAA and clearly this gentleman will be a distinct asset in managing the regulatory hurdles required.

Other pilots to be interviewed soon.

Note that as a consequence of yesterdays decision by the NZCC, the conditional agreement between DJ and Air New Zealand for terminal access etc is now dead, as the agreement was conditional upon the NZCC approving the alliance.

amos2
24th Oct 2003, 18:42
"So far only one senior pilot hired; he ex CAA and clearly this gentleman will be a distinct asset in managing the regulatory hurdles required."

Hmmm!...a distinct disadvantage I would have thought!!

Suffering Sucataash
25th Oct 2003, 03:14
What about their drivers.....................

B737-700/800 FLIGHT CREW REQUIRED
PACIFIC BLUE
CAPTAINS - TYPE RATED
*500 Hrs PIC on type
*5000Hrs T.T.

First Officers
*750 Hrs min. on type
*3000Hrs T.T.

CAPTAINS - NON TYPE RATED
*5000Hrs T.T. min. 2000Hrs in Command Jet
*500 Hrs min. Jet above 50,000kg's

First Officers - NON TYPE RATED
*1000Hrs T.T. - 500Hrs PIC Multi Eng.
*Current N.Z. or Australian ATPL or Subject A.T.P. credits
*Be prepared to pay for B737 endorsement
All applicants must have ATPL, Current Class 1 medical and visa residency for N.Z.
Those pilots with B737-3/4/5 experience will be required to pay for B737NG differences course.
Apply- Rishworth Aviation Limited, P O BOX 37 434, Parnell, Auckland, New Zealand.
FAX +64 9 3020078
Email [email protected]

No mention of the all important pay and conditions but you also have to pay for the differences course yourself so thats not a good indicator.

OK then lets do a quick poll, who out there, with the required qualifications, is going to put in an application???????????

Your time starts now.................... :hmm:

hoss
25th Oct 2003, 07:01
I don't think I will, unless something crazy happens and I lose my current job. Out of interest how much would it cost to go all the way to NG endorsement?

Safe Flying (before schedule;) ), hoss:)

Wirraway
25th Oct 2003, 12:49
Pacific Blue's 800 VH-VOQ shown here on finals at Brisbane
on Thursday, this is the final of 3 in this livery from the present
order from Boeing.

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=171405

Wirraway

Gnadenburg
25th Oct 2003, 14:13
Jesus wept.

:{ :{ :{ :{

Wirraway
27th Oct 2003, 14:18
VirginBlue.com.au

SAYANORA “SUZIE-Q”
VIRGIN BLUE WAVES GOODBYE TO ITS LAST 737 CLASSIC

Virgin Blue will tomorrow farewell its last Boeing 737 classic jet, registration VH-CZQ (fondly referred to by crew as “Suzie Q”), making the low fare carrier the largest airline to operate an all Boeing 737 Next Generation fleet.

While its modern aircraft set a global benchmark, Virgin Blue has left its regional competitors behind with a fleet that averages eight years younger than Qantas’s*.

By operating a one aircraft type fleet consisting of the most up to date commercial jet in use today, Virgin Blue can also maintain its low fare cost base as new aircraft require less time in the workshop.

Virgin Blue Chief Executive, Brett Godfrey, said, “While the 737 classic aircraft got us through the challenging period after our start up, it is Virgin Blue’s belief that new planes mean less time in the hangar, allowing us to maintain schedule integrity that is second to none.”
Next Generation aircraft also offer state-of-the-art technology that makes it fly faster and quieter, while being more environmentally friendly and fuel-efficient.

“For Virgin Blue Guests, this translates to a smoother, more comfortable ride and the lower operating costs of modern aircraft means the airline can and will continue to offer the best possible fares along with the best on-time performance record.”

Virgin Blue took delivery of CZQ, one of Ansett’s younger aircrafts, in late 2001 on a temporary lease to assist with its accelerated expansion in the market.

The arrival of more brand new Next Generation aircraft has allowed Virgin Blue to return CZQ to lessor CIT.

The 737 classic aircraft was also known as the ‘albino’ of Virgin Blue’s red fleet due to her white body and was often seen with a distinctive red ‘Rudolph’ nose.

Virgin Blue currently has a fleet of 40 Boeing 737 aircraft flying between 20 destinations nationally. It has recently launched ‘Pacific Blue’, its New Zealand based sister airline that is due to begin services between Christchurch and Brisbane on 1 February 2004.

For Virgin Blue bookings log on to www.virginblue.com.au or call 13 6789. For Pacific Blue bookings log on to www.flypacificblue.com or call 13 1645 from Australia or 0800 670 000 from New Zealand.

* As based on data from the Citigroup Smith Barney 2003 Fleet Handbook.

===========================================
Photo: Suzy Q

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=508

===========================================

Barbers Pole
28th Oct 2003, 05:01
Heard that the differences course is US$ 5K.
No mention yet of how much cash they will pay.

stillalbatross
28th Oct 2003, 06:13
The term 'Not Much' springs to mind when anyone mentions pay and Rishworth. :p

SOPS
28th Oct 2003, 08:51
:confused: and just how many 737NGs do they have? I just want to check if it is the largest lowcost?

Wirraway
28th Oct 2003, 11:42
Sops

DJ Fleet details here:

http://www.anthonytubbs.com/fleet.htm

Wirraway

DJ737
28th Oct 2003, 14:34
and just how many 737NGs do they have? I just want to check if it is the largest lowcost?

DJ are the worlds largest low-cost operator to operate an ALL B737-NG fleet.

All other low-costs have mixed fleet / no NG's at all (I think)

Cheers

DJ737
The Roo Rooter:E :ok:

Chocks Away
28th Oct 2003, 17:14
As of April 2003:
RYANAIR = 33 x B737-800s (120 more on order!) + 22 x -200s
EASYJET = 21 x B737-700s ( 40 x -300 also, 12 x -700s on order)

Saturn
29th Oct 2003, 05:02
Been reading a lot lately about companies requiring pilot's to pay for their own training including if you are already experienced on type. This week in flight international, jobs posted ask for this as well as Air Atlanta ACE or whatever although it says "B747-200 type rating will be provided" Yeah, Uh-huh, sure it will! This seems like round 2 for 1990 era when most copmanies were asking for this. If you pay for your job you must be mad!

The terms at the recent Emirates offer for DE Captains says it all. I believe most of the recruits now will be low timers and that this program will backfire again on these airlines. Pacific Blue, Virgin Blue so they can fly to NZ and other destinations, nice way to take advantage of the Ansett blokes. Hope fully no one will apply for these positions. Rishworth and Brookfiled-shame on you!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

EPIRB
30th Oct 2003, 10:59
I heard from a mate at Virgin, they were having trouble getting pilots due to the rather "poor" conditions. Does anyone know how many ex AnsettNZ drivers are still on the loose?

Jet Man
30th Oct 2003, 16:56
Funny that. I've spoken to few people around and no one seems to know what the conditions are. Only rumours!

I was under the impression they were inundated with applications!?

There will probably be a long line of potential F/Os willing to pay for type ratings. The problem will be getting experienced Captains.

Guess It'll be even harder now that Qantas LCC might be hiring external.

Ralph the Bong
30th Oct 2003, 17:55
Not to mention Cathay, DragonAir CAL etc. recruiting...

VB_Capt
1st Nov 2003, 10:53
Can anyone confirm that Brian McCarthy is the chief pilot of PB?
Heard it this morning from what I thought was a good source.

propaganda
1st Nov 2003, 14:59
Flight Intl Mag this week had a large advert for Pac Blue Pilot's.
Requirements NZ/Aus passports or residency in NZ. Okay thats fair enough........NZ/Aus ATPL and NG rating fair enough .....
Anyone applying whose NZ/Aus ATPL has been obtained by conversion from a foreign licence will have to do all ATPL theory subjects.....I am in the process of converting a UK ATPL to the NZ ATPL and all that's required is ATPL air law and a flight test.
Whoever wrote the advert probably Rishworth have either got their facts wrong or are simply trying to stop foreign pilot's applying... :mad:

amos2
1st Nov 2003, 16:41
Propaganda said...

"Whoever wrote the advert probably Rishworth have either got their facts wrong or are simply trying to stop foreign pilot's applying"

And I say...

"When you consider there are many pilots in this part of the world looking for flying positions,what's wrong with that?"

bahboy
1st Nov 2003, 20:33
As long as pilots have sufficient credit available or are happy to part with hard earned cash,there will never be a shortage of pilots in companies like VB or PB.
The majority are quite willing to accept low salaries to get the glorious jet job, as they believe it will be only a temporary position,later leading to a better paid job elsewhere(but where?).
I would hazard to guess that VB could advertise F/O posistions for 25k per annum with medium hour requirements and still be flooded with CVs.
And why would'nt a lot of GA guys jump at it as that would not be a big pay drop for a many of them!
bottom line-There is no shortage of pilots,never has been, never will be.

Wizofoz
1st Nov 2003, 20:51
So Brian McArthy is leading the charge to undercut Virgin Blue pay and conditions...

Talk about interesting times!!

Meeb
1st Nov 2003, 21:20
propaganda, read the advert again... it says further down the page that they may require those who have converted ATPL's to sit all the NZ/Aus theory subjects. To me this is so they can discount those who convert from FAA as lets face it, UK/JAA ATPL subects are much the same as NZ/Aus.

Just my take on it, but it does make sense. :O

CT7
4th Nov 2003, 03:53
Anyone applying whose NZ/Aus ATPL has been obtained by conversion from a foreign licence will have to do all ATPL theory subjects
I know the add says different....

I have no problems with this!
Sorry guys. But it is far harder to convert a NZ ATPL to a UK one.
If it was a fair swap or similar (like a law exam etc.), sure.
So no support there. But I know how you feel.

Ozdork
4th Nov 2003, 04:31
Nice rumour re. Brian Mc, but wrong! He's taken a part-time, non-flying simulator position with DJ, that's all. Sorry to take the gloss off a great rumour though.;)

Iso
4th Nov 2003, 09:04
Has anyone had an invite to an interview yet?

Tape It Shut
4th Nov 2003, 15:01
The aircraft for Pacific Blue are brand new from the factory and one would assume that some amount of pilot training is included with the deal. It will be interesting to see if people will be allowed to do ratings at facilities other than Boeing.

I imagine that the deal will be to go to Boeing but to make the cheque out to Pacific Blue. Nice way to make some money to pay for the first series of flights with the promotional airfares.

Boomerang
4th Nov 2003, 17:43
Iso, as of today they have recieved about 700 applications, so I imagine it will take them some time.

Tape it shut, I think being a LCC they would try to get costs down as much as possible. Training if supplied would be factored into the price I'm sure. But indeed if PB was to nominate a select few to do the Boeing training, and have those select few pay PB, it could help in reducing costs. I don't know how many training slots per aircraft we'd be talking about, but say $30K? for a(n) NG rating, there would want to be a significant number of slots sold to bring down the price of a new NG significantly. Just my 2c :)

Jet Man
5th Nov 2003, 14:26
Heard today.

Captain Salary $115,000
F/O Salary $69,000 (60%)

$3.20 per duty hour

OpsNormal
5th Nov 2003, 14:47
Mmmmm, more like... F/O... $69,000. Divide that by 52 weeks per year, and then by 45 hours per week (thinking max duty would be around the 90 hour mark for a two week period), and the total is more like around $29.49 per duty hour.

Captain is more like $49.15 per duty hour.

Much better money than hanging off a shovel or the handle of a hot saucepan wouldn't you say? ;)

bitter balance
5th Nov 2003, 15:24
I think Jet Man may have been referring to DTA.

Gnadenburg
5th Nov 2003, 15:53
Op's

The guy on the shovel didn't have to buy his job with a 25K endorsement.

Conditions for 737 drivers have halved in Australia/NZ. How much further down would you be willing to take them?

OpsNormal
5th Nov 2003, 16:06
Cheers bb, I'm not yet aquainted with anything like that in anything I take home... as yet. My mistake, sorry JetM.

Gnads, true. I see your point.

Have a nice day.
Ops

Ultra
6th Nov 2003, 00:02
Jet Man,

A serious question - is that AU$ or NZ$ ..?

Jet Man
6th Nov 2003, 04:15
Based CHC, NZ so NZ$

Thump & Go
6th Nov 2003, 12:15
Is it true or likely(having not dealt with Rishworth) that a percentage of that F/O salary would go to Rishworth for the first year or so?

Gnadenberg, I gather the $25k you mention is Oz $$ not Kiwi as rumour over here mentions anything up to $40k. No, I'm not considering it(to put your mind at ease) but 700 others are apparently so we could be pushing excrement up an incline to think otherwise.

BB, DTA - duty time allowance? I gather this is paid on top of your base salary, is that how it works? I hear reference to this system when guys talk about "real" airlines as well. (still a prop-jock;) )

johntrav69
7th Nov 2003, 03:53
Propoganda - Ignore Amos2. He obviously aint got a work permit as he'd be in the UK building jet hours like everyone else before taking that experience back.

Its a bit unfair really for those that can't fly in the UK but thats aviation for you.

In fact, doesn't every ****** protect their jobs except for us stupid Brits who don't care who we employ as long as they've got a type rating. If it wasn't for the JAR licence I dont think any Brit pilots would be unemployed now. Then again, I think talking to Hans about his two girlfriends getting friendly in the sauna is so much more fun than discussing how much a two bed semi costs in the greenbelt.

Haha

Gotta go now and study Air Law and IREX so it can be payback time. Must lose the plum though. What what old chap.