PDA

View Full Version : Last Flight Of The Wessex

KPax
24th Oct 2003, 00:56
A strange sight ocver the sleepy Shropshire countryside today, a Chinook looking good. Well it was helped by having a Wessex as an USL . Believe the Wessex is going to be the new 'Gate Guardian' at Strawberry. Maybe they could bring the Wessex back for future SH.

zalt
24th Oct 2003, 01:00
Surely the last flight of 'a' Wessex, isn't some South American country keeping a batch of Mark 5s warm for DPA!

WASALOADIE
24th Oct 2003, 02:12
Uruguay is still flying Mk2's, ex Hong Kong and Shawbury cabs

detgnome
24th Oct 2003, 03:30
Must be the Igor Sikorsky memorial flight going to extremes to keep the old girl flying....

reynoldsno1
24th Oct 2003, 03:43
There's still a couple in New Zealand "logging" time....

Spot 4
24th Oct 2003, 04:26
Anyone know what is to be of Whirlwind XP351 the `ex` Shawbury guardian?

Whipping Boy's SATCO
24th Oct 2003, 13:51
I believe the Whirlwind will be bulldozed as it is in such a poor state.

Man-on-the-fence
24th Oct 2003, 14:25
Its gone to Bruntingthorpe apparently. After that who knows?? :ugh:

Training Risky
24th Oct 2003, 16:09
I think they should replace the Whirlwind here at Odiham with a Wessex. If it can be done at a training base, why not a front-line station?

Man-on-the-fence
24th Oct 2003, 16:16
The one at Odiham looks in far better nick than the one at Shawbury. That said I wish they could keep both.

Tiger_mate
24th Oct 2003, 18:36
XP351 was the first helicopter I ever flew on, so I hope someone gives the old girl a little TLC. She was yellow in those days, the red scheme is a lot nicer. Shame Shawbury never looked after her, makes you wonder what state the incoming Wessex will be in; in 5 years time. Gate guardians are within the traditions and ethos of the RAF, and just like other such traditions, are subject to 21st Century neglect.

Taff Missed
24th Oct 2003, 19:58
Bruntingthorpe eh?

I wonder if we'll see it doing high speed taxi's down the runway at future airshows?

Taff

zalt
25th Oct 2003, 01:34
Bruntingthorpe also equals being scrapped.

reynoldsno1 - didn't the NZ logging stop after an accident when it was realised that those aircraft were not civil certified?

ShyTorque
25th Oct 2003, 04:07
I suddenly feel very old!

Seeing an aircraft you flew arrive as the gate guardian is bad enough but to hear of it being removed through extreme old age is far, far worse. :ooh:

Blacksheep
25th Oct 2003, 10:37
Before the Wessex was the Whirlwind, the most beautiful aircraft ever built. Sob! Sob! I really miss my good old chopper. Cut off in its prime it were...

High magnesium content alloy and gate guardianship don't exactly go together. You need lots of corrosion protection for that job.

Through difficulties to the cinema

Cyclic Hotline
25th Oct 2003, 11:53
Blacksheep, you need to get over to North America. There's still a lot of old 55's (Whirlwind equivalent) flying around making a living everyday!

Plus of course lots of 58's (many round motors).

I'm not talking about the remanufactured, 5 bladed, turbine 55, I'm talking about real life round motored beauties that really work for a living!

:ok:

reynoldsno1
28th Oct 2003, 08:05
zalt - I'll have to check - they're still on the register (formerly XS677 and XT606). Bristow used to fly civil Wessii, of course.

BTW, there's also a Scout on the NZ register (formerly XP891)

zalt
29th Oct 2003, 00:32
Aaaaah.... the Wessex 60! Brings back fond memories!

http://209.196.171.35/helimage/wessextwr.jpg

At least these were civil certified!

wessex19
29th Oct 2003, 07:07
http://www.aeroplaneart.com.au/Images/JB_Westland_Wessex_Mk_32_6.jpg

Here is an old bird when she was with 817 squadron, RAN. Note the flight of 4 Sea Venoms about to joint the circuit.

http://www.aeroplaneart.com.au/Images/JB_Westland_Wessex_Mk_32_4.jpg
Here is another rare pic of an Aussie wessex Mk 32 without a side number. Can anyone add any light as to year, squadron etc. C'mon old Aussie wally drivers, someone who flew it must be still kicking.

Also, Reynoldsno1
"There's still a couple in New Zealand "logging" time...."
I find that hard to believe old mate that there are are Westland Wessex still belting around on the NZ civvy register. Please do tell mate....:ok:

I've edited your links so the pics show. If you meant to have links ... oops, sorry!
Heliport

reynoldsno1
29th Oct 2003, 09:37
ZK-HVK first registered NZ 1998 (ex XS509) - Westland Wessex HC Mk5C. Issued Special/Experimental Airworthiness certificate. Destroyed in fatal accident 12 Feb 2001

Remaining ZK-HBE (first registered Dec 2001) and ZK-HBF (first registered Mar 2002). I understand that the Special Airworthiness Certification is under review - it was introduced for ex-mil choppers engaged on aerial work, but there have been some misgivings about maintenance issues/history and operations at or near design limits.

seafuryfan
29th Oct 2003, 23:49
I was a passenger on a RN Wessex (Mk V?) at RAF Ascension on 9 Feb 84. Unusually, it had no military serial, just the codes 'VL' on the tail. It transferred me and others from the airfield to the good Ship Uganda. Does anyone know the serial of this cab?

It worked alongside XT755 which four months later took me off the MV Keren back to the airfield (after earlier 'pickling' a USL of personal effects - wrong button for the radio calling 'lifting' perhaps?).

Never thought I'd get so many hours in the old workhorse years later...

KPax
30th Oct 2003, 04:42
Well the Wessex is in position at Strawberry and very nice it looks too. Maybe they could take one of the Apaches out of storage and have an 'OLD & NEW' display.

Whipping Boy's SATCO
30th Oct 2003, 13:33
KPax, I agree (about the Wessex). It looks as if it was always meant to be there. However, I understand that there is a bit of a faff over the crest on the door. There are 2 options, a 2 FTS badge or the "Aries" to commemorate a round the world flight (not a wessex!) that departed from Shawbury in 1941.

teeteringhead
30th Oct 2003, 16:37
I heard from a "usually reliable source" that the EGOS Wessex was going to have the Aries door. The door was used at Shawbury also, but not necessarily on the Gate Guardian airframe - which I think is XT 672???