PDA

View Full Version : Jumpseat Policy in Asia

Tailwinds
24th Oct 2003, 00:50
Greetings all,

What is the jumpseat policy like in Asia (especially SE Asia)? I work for a North American carrier and have on my days off took my backpack and "jumped" down all over North and South America on other carriers with my pilot's license and company id card.

ae-jacko
24th Oct 2003, 08:29
I also work for a North American carrier, and have been unable to find any carriers that will take me. Do you mind me asking what non U.S. airlines you have jumpseated with. The only one I could find was Air Canada.

Cpt. Underpants
24th Oct 2003, 08:50
Sadly, almost no Asian carriers have a jump-seat policy to speak of, except China Airlines, but I believe that it's in-house only.

Cathay, probably the most forward-looking of them all, pointedly refuses to allow any non-revs on jumpseats - every jumpseater has to carry:

1. A ticket
2. Company (CX) ID (amongst other - reasonable - requirements)

As a result, there are no reciprocal agreements with any foreign carriers for us, much to the frustration of the many expats who actually do enjoy going home from time to time. Many is the day that we have left disappointed punters at the gate with seats on the flight-deck still "available" (and I have been refused J/S access with many US carriers too. Occasionally some kind soul will take pity and let me on, but we don't even have that authority). Our Cargo aircraft, despite having a fully-fitted upper deck and catering, depart with no non-revs on board, ever - not even company staff.

We have had many attempts in the past to fix it, but when it comes to the crunch and the foreign carriers ask for reciprocity, CX refuses. Apparently it is a company, not a HKCAD thing, so the bottle-neck is with our management, (commercial, most likely). Good luck and let us know what you turn up.

Tailwinds
24th Oct 2003, 10:12
Well, I believe we have a reciprocal agreement with Eva and in the past have taken commuting Eva pilots on our flights. Other than that, I can't seem to find any other Asian carrier with reciprocal agreements on our list. Although it's called jumpseating, nowadays it's only seats available in the back. Has anybody jumpseated with Fedex or any other cargo ops?

ae-jacko
25th Oct 2003, 00:51
I haven't tried to jumpseat with EVA, but I'm sure they won't take us. I get EVA guys all the time riding in the back using a ZED fair. What South, and Central American carriers have you jumped on? I tried Copa, but, they looked at me like I was crazy, the Captain didn't understand what I was asking for. Once I explained jumpseating, I was denied the seat.

unruly
25th Oct 2003, 17:57
I could ask a friend in Cebu Pacific if they still allow jumpseat occupancy in their DC9s. They used to give jumpseat authority to some of us strikers going to the provinces here in the Philippines. Also heard they are a partner airline of NWA. Don't bet on PAL. I tried to accomodate a United captain (that was before the strike, when it still had a union then) on his request and management tried to make it an issue for me to be fired!

Slasher
27th Oct 2003, 08:12
After 911 carrying anyone in the JS can only be done with prior written aproval from the CP and/or Flight Dept. Our mob does it and Id say many others too.

ae-jacko
27th Oct 2003, 11:02
At the moment, what we mean by jumpseat is a free seat in the back.

Tailwinds
31st Oct 2003, 05:42
ae-jacko...sorry if I mislead you...I have "jumped"--(seat available in the back) to Central and South America with North American carriers ie..United, Continental etc..(with a reciprocal agreement). I have friends that have also jumped with some of the Caribean carriers..I believe it might of been Air Jamaica? As for other Latin American carriers, it might be a little tougher...if you find any, let me know...

cheers...

Smoozesailing
3rd Nov 2003, 20:24
In Malaysia, jumpseat travel post-9/11 has, for all intent and purpose, no longer exist. Security is a-one priority. How you guys still "jump" is amazing!:ugh:

ae-jacko
6th Nov 2003, 05:14
When we say we jump seat in the states, what we mean is we ride in the back for free. We follow all the old procedures, we talk to the Capt. show are medical and license then we ride in the back as a passenger. If there is no open seat in the back, we can't ride, and we can never ride in the cockpit, with the exception of our own carrier. We are in the process of introducing a program that will allow us to actually ride the jumpseat on other carriers. There will be a 6 month trial period that will allow pilots from about ten U.S. carriers to ride the actual jumpseat with each other. The way they are going to do this is to verify the pilots employment status through a new computer program, This program will check real time employment status.

Freehills
6th Nov 2003, 12:10
"jumpseating" (i.e. captain giving free seat in the aircraft to other airlines' pilots) has never existed in Asia, or (AFAIK) Europe. For a start, most countries immigration rules still insist on holding tickets, and most flights are international.

ISTR there are also legal issues - as the bulk of the flights are international, they fall under Warsaw/ Montreal convention rules. This could be got by if the captain was allowed to issue a "buddy pass" to jumpseaters.

And finally, Asian carriers charge their own staff not insignificant amounts for staff travel, so the thought of giving it for free to outsiders is completely alien...