PDA

View Full Version : Landing on Fraser Island

EngineOut
24th Oct 2003, 00:20
Can anyone fill me in on the procedures and permissions required to land aircraft on fraser island?

Also, for those who have done it, what would be the largest aircraft you could land there? Could you get a caravan on there or would it sink in to the sand too much? I don't particularly want to bog the company's van (not a good career move)!!:confused:

QNIM
24th Oct 2003, 05:19
Why don't you PM Max Range for some info
Cheers Q

Capt Claret
24th Oct 2003, 15:54
In days gone by I used to land at Sandy Cape fortnightly, taking supplies to the Light House keepers. Depending on the tide, landing would be near the lighthouse or just south of the cape itself.

Most often an Islander was used, occasionally an N22 Nomad or a DHC6 (Twotter).

The Light Keepers would drive along the beach to confirm no washouts etc, and would then do a couple of donughts at either end of their measured landing strip.

There were often lots of vehicles. Some would get the wobbles when they saw an aeroplane approaching and were trying to watch it and not where they were driving. I only remember one missed approach; that was because the truck was bigger than the Islander ;)

Avoid trying to land too high up the beach as the sand gets soft quickly and one gets that sinking feeling.

The Kelly's and the Fultons were great folk and each trip was eagerly looked forward to. Sipping on Devonshire tea under the wing of an aircraft on a remote beach is one of those experiences I'll never forget and one I never expected! :O

Transition Layer
24th Oct 2003, 16:30
G'day EngineOut,

Why don't you speak to your mate, Dr Schmoo...he should be able to fill you in ;)

Cheers,
TL

G.A. Boy
26th Oct 2003, 09:16
I have several thousand landings on Fraser Island a few years back. To be able to land there, you require a permit from National Parks, which I am not sure how easy or hard it is to get. As for aircraft types, I have seen just about all types of singles. As for twins, a have seen a PN68, PA34, BN2 and chieftain, all land there. The chieftain was there to do filming for Big Sky. Twotters also used to land there many years ago.
Hope this helps.

Metrosalute
3rd Nov 2003, 07:11
G.A is correct permits are required, private operations is quite simple, mainly just paperwork, Commercial is a lot more difficult. it would be best if you contacted one of the Hervey Bay operators that do that sort of thing.

MAXX
13th Nov 2003, 14:42
i flew for an operator out of hervey bay years ago when we used a c-206 off the beach at erong,but have seen islanders,twin otters and other light twins.so your caravan would probbably be okay.

make sure you know what youre doing though (just because the sand looks okay doesnt mean it is.

low tide is the safest time to land and take off and always check for rutts and creek washouts.NEVER EVER LAND OR EVEN TAXI AROUND IN THE SOFT SAND)probbably best to talk to the local operators to find out the best spots to operate from(when i was there it used to change every day.

CHEERS

The Bullwinkle
13th Nov 2003, 19:25
Gerry Geltch from Air Fraser Island would be the best person to talk to.