PDA

View Full Version : taxes of a ticket??

number
23rd Oct 2003, 23:53
I am really curious: what does taxes of a flight that passengers have to pay depend on?
Wouldn't be possible to include the taxes in the price of the ticket in order to have a clearer idea of the cost? After all, a passenger couldn't care the less how much taxes he has to pay for the fuel surcharges, crisis surcharges or aerodrome taxes....
Is it true that taxes are always switchable? Do they depend on the type of aircraft used or what?

Bezi l
24th Oct 2003, 16:32
In the old days (10-15 years ago), 'taxes' were all included in the price of a ticket. There were a few exceptions, e.g. flights to/from Paris, were required by the french to show departure taxes on the ticket.

Then the government decided to bring in the Passenger Service Charge!! Because taxes are all collected seperatly by separate governmental departments, they all need to be clearly identified on the ticket so that the correct payments can be made. It works a little like the VAT receipt, which in the UK shows the amount of VAT paid separatley.

In turn the airlines were forced to split out their fares, and so air travel seemed cheaper. But then here comes the catch. I, like many would like to see the total price for what I'm paying, so if a journey is going to cost £99, I would like to know. But with the advent of lowcost, they can lawfully advertise their fares at the base price as long as they then mention 'plus taxes'. And in the power of advertising and customer awareness, seeing something for £10 is probably going to mean that you book with them, rather that if you see something for £25!!

Answers on a postcard to.....

BL
xx :ok:

Voldermort
24th Oct 2003, 19:09
Hi Number
Most of the taxes are variable depending on airport and or airline used.The one constant should be the UK passenger air duty i.e £5 per sector within UK or to the EU,£10 outwith the EU and this doubles if you fly premium economy or any class above, there are some exceptions like flights to Prague or the Canaries are counted as within the EU band.There is now an insurance levy introduced since Sept 11th this should be around £4-£5 (£2.50 per sector with BA)but varies with the choice of airline and of course the P.S.C. as far as I know the fee per pax charged by the airport to the airline this is probably the most variable of all charges i.e I have bought one way tickets from BOH with no P.S.C. and some from LHR which charges around £8.50 ish and I think Manch varies their P.S.C. depending on season??Just as a final point in any E-mail flight confirmation Ryanair break down all tax/charges I think they are one of the few airlines to do so.
i.e Prestwick return to Gothenburg in Jan
Service charge £4 UK air duty £5
Ins Levy £3.72 Airport tax £6.79
And the fare a massive 2 pence total £19.53
Hope some of the above helps to answer your question :zzz:

brabazon
24th Oct 2003, 21:57
Airlines should be more specific about which are government imposed duties (like APD) and which are direct charges (airport etc) - even then some airlines seem to charge beyond the strict airport charge. APD relates to a departing passenger and should be refunded if you don't fly - since the airline will only pass onto the government the duty based on the number of passengers they have carried. However, airlines such as Ryanair say it's too expensive and keep your duty.

It's interesting to compare two airlines operating the same route between the same two airports, eg easyJet and BA opeating a return from LGW-AMS: easyJet add on £16 and BA £32.50 in taxes, fees, charges and surcharges - why twice as much?

Bezi l
24th Oct 2003, 23:27
perhaps to pay for the food?????

bl
xx:ok:

JobsaGoodun
28th Oct 2003, 17:38
The reason for differing levels of PSC is dependant on the airport. Some charge the operating airline for passengers arriving and others for passengers departing. (eg) If you were to book to fly BHDLBA then you would have no PSC levied at all as BHD charge per arrival and LBA per departure, however the other way around you have to pay both lots of PSC.

The reason for differing charges between airlines I imagine is simply down to the deal that each airline does with the respective airport. An airline such as EZY by nature will negotiate low charges

(a) Due to the increased volume of passengers it will bring in.
(b) Due to nature of it being a lowcost operator.

Even if you save just £2 per passenger then you make significant savings over a year if you bring an extra 500,000 passengers to that airport.

The charges also vary greatly from airport to airport. I think LGW charges about £5 and a regional airport such as LBA about £17 per passenger, but you can bet that JET2 are not paying anything like that at LBA.

brabazon
28th Oct 2003, 17:51
Jobsagoodun

That doesn't explain why easyJet and BA should charge different "taxes and charges" at LGW for the same airport pair..

JobsaGoodun
28th Oct 2003, 21:20
Brabazon,

I would imagine that EZY went to BAA and said that in order for them to start a base at LGW then they would need to have preferential rates in order to do so. This means that initially they may be paying the same as BA or possibly nothing for the first couple years until the base/pax numbers are established.

I dont know if this is the case but you'll probably find that each airline at an airport is being levied with different charges based on competition on the same route and number of passengers it brings through that airport.

You may also find that the 'extras' EZY are quoting are it's PSC charges , whereas BA will include PSC/APD/Security Surcharge. The word 'Taxes' in a farequote can be very ambiguous.

Cyrano
28th Oct 2003, 22:58
In some European countries it seems that fares cannot legally be advertised exclusive of tax, i.e. the headline price shown is the price you actually pay.

This isn't yet the case in the UK (but the sooner the better) so there's still this nonsense of "fly for free! ".

However [B]duo does quote all its prices inclusive of all taxes and charges - see www.duo.com (http://www.duo.com)

glynn-kayes
28th Oct 2003, 23:30
Airport taxes at various airports round the UK are charged at different rates and are a direct refection of how much 1 carriers full fare is compered to anothers,so the higher the fare structure of one carrier,the higher the apd.However,if 2 full service airlines fly the same route then both lots of pax pay the same apd.No british airline (low fares or full service)ever use government imposed taxes to maximise profits or make a few quid extra.Every tax on a ticket is given to the appropriate authority whom enforced the charge,whether you agree or disagree.....................