PDA

View Full Version : BA to Sydney via Singapore

jezbowman
23rd Oct 2003, 22:48
Not my usual forum, but moving from the cockpit to the cabin for a long flight to Australia tommorow night from LHR. Just wondering if anyone knows - when you land at Singapore for an hour and half fuel stop, are you allowed off the plane, in to the terminal? Just asking as my mate tells me now that he's claustophobic and had built up to spending 12 hours on the plane, but the though of 24 inside the same aircraft was freaking him out. I've no idea how being back seat PAX in the C172 will be when we're there, the lack of doors and loos, etc...

Anyway, if anyone's done it recently and confirm that you are allowed off, I'd apprciate it! Cheers! :ok:

Jerricho
23rd Oct 2003, 23:18
Yup, you can get off and go for a wander! Nice terminal as well!

Pax Vobiscum
24th Oct 2003, 20:01
No worries - just watch you don't get trampled in the rush of smokers trying to get to the smoking area so they can smoke 4 at a time after 14 hours of coffin-nail deprivation!

Changi has an excellent selection of electronic goods (I picked up a cheap copy of MSFS there before it was out in the UK), so if you know the going price of something you're looking for you can sometimes pick up a bargain. The Singaporean authorities like to put on a good show - Mrs PV and I watched an Indian dance troupe performing at some ungodly hour of the morning.

PAXboy
25th Oct 2003, 00:22
Off topic ... The contrast with 1965 is staggering. [Places history cap on head.]

"When I were nobbut a lad ..." December 1965, BOAC, VC-10 tech stop in Nairobi at about 02:00. Walk down the steps and across the apron to a waiting room. No refreshments. No shops. Guards to prevent you leaving the area. The seats were hard benches and the lighting was harsh strip lighting. After an hour, we got back on for the nearly six hours down to JNB.

Two good things to remember - the first time we heard the sounds of Africa at night. My sister said, "Daddy, it sounds like the sound track of [iDaktari[/i]!" And watching the beautiful and elegant VC-10 in the floodlights. I fell in love with her that night and love her still.

[Removes history cap and wipes away a tear.]

redsnail
25th Oct 2003, 01:16
Yep, definitely allowed off the aeroplane while they clean it, refuel it and restock it. During the day, Changi airport is fantastic. At night, (ie late at night) many of the shops are shut but there's still a couple of duty free's still open. You can get something to eat and the showers are still open.
I'll be sampling Changi's delights in Feb :D

MrSydney
25th Oct 2003, 02:42
I agree with the above. Changi is one the great airports of the world. I have been there numerous times and it is just fantastic. It is so easy to cope with and does not raise the stress levels you get at LHR, FRA or LAX for example!!!!

I love going to the outside area in Terminal 1 where BA flies into and feel that heat of the tropics hit you!!!!!!:ok:

jezbowman
28th Oct 2003, 06:13
Thanks for the feedback everyone. We made it without any panics and we're now in Auckland. Changi was good, the heat was oppressive and the shops great.

Saw enough to pencil a visit to SE asia in at some stage!