PDA

View Full Version : MD83 operator, base Nigeria

md80forum
23rd Oct 2003, 22:47
"Successful IATA regional operator" with 12 destinations in 7 countries looks for MD-83 crews, to be based Lagos. Who's that ?

Jan-Erik at MD80 Int'l Forum (http://www.md80.net/yabbse/)

Rani
23rd Oct 2003, 23:04
The only airline that is an IATA member and DOES operate regional routes to at least 10 destinations in West Africa is Bellview Airlines of Nigeria, based Lagos. They DID operate the DC9 for a while but their current fleet is 4 737-200s.

Interesting...will monitor this....

this is Bellview Airlines because their contact e-mail in Flight International's job section includes "Bellview"....

interesting... they made a transition to the 737-300 from the DC-9 and they now appear to go back to the MD83. I wonder what their fleet strategy is.

Rani

Boss Raptor
25th Oct 2003, 03:40
BVU 10 regional destinations in West Africa? Banjul and Freetown and those are not on BVU traffic rights but those of West Coast Airline Sierra Leone (then AMS, NBO and BOM not been operated for over 2 years).

To date no Nigerian operator other than WT has been given scheduled West African traffic rights outside Nigeria...long been a big bone of contention as of course WT dont actually operate any of them any more...it has been off and on rumoured that applications will requested for re-allocation of West African routes but still not happened and just talk. Yamassoukro and Banjul Accords are not fully implemented and dont seem to sway the stagnating WT hold on the routes.

Rani
25th Oct 2003, 04:49
Boss Rapter,

By 10 destinations I also included LOS, ABV, PHC and KAN.

Are you saying Bellview operates intl. flights on behalf of Sierra National Airlines? If so, why are there BVU flights listed in the CRS and routing to West African destinations other than Freetown?

Do you know if Bellview plans to replace its 737s with the MD80s or is this a single a/c used on the west coast?

Thanks for the clarifications

Rani

Boss Raptor
25th Oct 2003, 16:25
Suggest you check traffic rights issued to BVU by Nigerian DOT this information is in the public domain in Nigeria. No Nigerian carrier has yet been allocated W. African regional routes that should be taken away from WT and it's not on the near horizon either (and any new Air Nigeria type operation should/will no doubt insist to the Govt. on keeping them).

'West Coast Airlines' not SNA, using someone elses traffic rights is not new and the flight can still be ticketed on the BVU IATA code (and just because a flight is on the CRS doesn't mean its' active). BVU are using exactly this method with Air France, the AF service through Abuja is picking up pax from ABJ for the onward african leg using BVU to market the flights in Nigeria. BVU are paid a royalty and it appears on the CRS mirrored as a BVU flight.

BVU are tied in on Leases for the 737-200's and are saying they will take a further 2, total of 6. Historically the twice weekly BVU LOS-Freetown- BJL service was never more than half full on average, many times in Banjul passengers were stranded when BVU did not run the service as they had insufficient passengers to justify it.

The West Coast run apparently still cannot support a daily service, with the exception of a few point to point like LOS-ACC, let alone a larger aircraft and as for the fleet logistics...well that's why I walked away from Nigeria aviation to work for people who actually listened to common sense and proper economic/fleet management logic!

Rani
29th Oct 2003, 00:29
Boss Raptor,

By fleet logistics do you mean that other types of aircraft should e used on those thin routes? Of course it would seem logical to use smaller aircraft but can they? An ATR72 or a Canadair Regional Jet is probably too expensive for local carriers to consider. Perhaps the F28/Fokker 100?

Speaking of F100s, did IRS Airlines really take delivery of such an aircraft type? Is it on lease from a south african charter airline?

Finally, would you kindly tell me what Bellview might do with 2 more 737-200s? If the can't make money on the west coast runs why are they dumping more capacity with MD83 equipment?

Thanks allways for your insights,

Boss Raptor
29th Oct 2003, 00:39
Fleet logistics = technical and operational support i.e. supporting a number of different types at a fairly large (time AOG) distance from centres of support , provision of spares holdings, training etc. - yet another type to provide for...

As for what BVU will do with further 737-200's they say they are getting...well I am sure they know...no one else seems to ;)

Latest news - There are 'rumours' the Nigerian Govt. will 'talk' about the re-allocation of WT regional traffic rights again in about 2 weeks time...but that has been 'talk' for best part of 2 years now, if some of the rights are finally re-allocated then that might explain BVU's aspirations (however not the fleet decision of an MD83)...but it's still far from fact and as I say just further Govt. 'talk'...and a big 'IF' :E

Yak97
29th Oct 2003, 01:40
Could it be Sosoliso Airlines? They have an ex US Air DC9-32(?) that entered service earlier this year and they have good contacts with Jettran who are re-marketing the ex-US Air MD82's.

Rani
29th Oct 2003, 02:17
No it is Bellview Airlines as the contact e-mail indicates. Boss raptor, if they have ordered an MD83 than they probably have some contacts at the ministry confirming the route reallocation will occur shortly. But then again, didn't ADC Airlines rush to purchase a Tristar in the mid 90s to fly to London only to be told it cannot? remember that?

I have a feeling this time around the route reallocations will occur, although I agree with you key routes should be assigned to the new national airline (if ever it takes off :confused: ).

Bellview should have opted for a long-term planning strategy by buying a second hand 737-300 to initiate some kind of fleet modernisation program. Maybe their 737-200 pilots can fly the -300 with a minor conversion course?

Boss Raptor
29th Oct 2003, 02:27
My thoughts exactly...

'Long term planning strategy'!? Nigerian airlines/aviation? :hmm:

Nah, no, nien, niet!! :sad:

Rani
29th Oct 2003, 03:25
I doubt the BVU management did not consider the benefits of a 737-300... but again, perhaps the cost of the aircraft was very low and offset any probably costs of introducing another type..but hey....don't forget they have pilots who flew the DC-9 so its not that bad.