View Full Version : legal question about auction law

mystic_av8r
23rd Oct 2003, 22:46
sorry, this is not OT for this forum, or even PPRUNE, but two hours of internet research have been fruitless for answering this question. Perhaps PPRUNing legal eagles can help me out.

Under UK auction law, does a verbal statement made by the vendors representative or auctioneer immediately before bidding overide infomation printed in the conditions of sale???

Thanks.

ORAC
24th Oct 2003, 01:14
Don't think it overrides them, but it probably counts as making a false statement. Buying at Auction (http://www.huddsonline.co.uk/legaladvice_b4.htm)

Boss Raptor
26th Oct 2003, 18:57
Have to ask further in depth...

Was this verbal statement related to a change in procedure as to the conduct of the auction itself different to the 'terms and conditions' published? yes they can do this and announce a change of procedure publically prior to the auction taking place

or...a verbal statement as to the condition, status, vendor's undertaking/statement/guarantee etc. of the item to be sold? in which case yes they can again publically announce/register a 'difference' prior to sale and anyhow 'caveat emptor, buyer beware sold as seen' applies...

You would have to look at whether the intent was to decieve or to misrepresent and from what you have said the announcement was prior to auction so I would say no.

I would think ;)