PDA

View Full Version : A novel approach to an fATPL?

Argo
23rd Oct 2003, 21:18
Dear PPRnNe'ers

I have a question regarding fATPL training and would be grateful for the thoughts of those who have gone down this route, are contemplating it, or basically have an opinion on it.

I'm 33 and recently passed the GAPAN tests (and am due to take a Class 1 Med), and am contemplating doing my professional training in NZ at the Christchurch Academy and then returing to the UK. My thinking is thus: you get 230 quality hours for the price of £18K, and then have to undertake all CPL/IR/ATPL exams back in the UK plus passing the flying tests. Assuming £18K for NZ and £15-17k for the UK side of the training it strikes me that, in total, I would be looking at £35K ish' all up for conceivably 250-270 hours. In addition, I would be qualifed to work in the EU, NZ and Aussie (I hold both UK/NZ passports so can work in all three countries.). This at least gives me further options vis-a-vis work opportunities.

The reason I am attracted to this route is that it is akin to the old BCPL hours building route. I have read quite a few posts recently where integrated fATPL graduates have under 200 hours, and are worried thay have insufficient hours to go for jobs. Whilst I am not necessarily convinced by this, my view is that whilst the NZ/UK approach maybe a harder route, as you are having to do two sets of exams in NZ and UK, you get a wide range of flying experience and a good basis of hours and training for a bloody competitive price. This would also leave me in good shape financially to start paying the cash back (as I would do the NZ bit in 12-15 months - taking a leave of absence from my reasonably well paid civil service job which would be held for open for me - and the UK bit modular on my return); building twin engined hours post fATPL; and with enough cash to do MCC/turbo-prop/jet conversion courses should I need to.

I am not locked into this way of doing things or school, but it does make quite a bit of financial and commercial sense to me. I look forward to hearing what others have to say on this. By the by, I realise that as I don't yet have a Class 1 Med (for NZ or UK), this could all go pear shaped in a New York minute. However, I'd be grateful if those commenting could focus on the question and not the Class 1 loose end.

Best wishes
Argo:ok:

onehunga
23rd Oct 2003, 23:31
I too hold both passports but decided to go the more "traditional" way of training in the UK coupled with some hour building in the US to save a bit here and there.

In any training that I have done (and I only have PPl, IMC and am hitting the ATPL books now) I have ensured that it has been to a high standard with reputable outfits but more importantly training organisations that would be known to my likely future employers.

Then I thought about where I was most likely to get a job and it had to be Europe and in particular the UK. From what I can gather from anecdotal sources, talking to blokes in the pub that have been there and done that plus reading the D&G forums on pprune it seems that there is nigh on nought chance of getting a decent job in NZ or Oz unless you have connections. In NZ you can expect to fly (if you are even lucky enough to get a first start) light aircraft (maybe twins) for years and years and years whilst struggling to get into Air NZ. Then if you are very lucky you might get turbo prop but probably with an offshoot subsidiary rather than Air NZ mainline. Go into their website and you will see that they make it quite clear that they receive a hell of a lot of applications from pilots with thousands of hours, some with type ratings but many of which with significant multi hours. Unfortunately there are just to few opportunities.

I think your best chance would be the UK/Europe as the market is just that much bigger. Sure there are more people but I don't think there are any low hour pilots in NZ who walk into a jet job whereas they do over here! Also if you get called for an interview at least they are likely to know the school you trained with which would not be the case if you trained downunder - unfortunately. Excepting of course the mcalpine scheme in NZ perhaps.

Argo
27th Oct 2003, 17:45
In thinking further on this, I would be interested to know what UK JAA trained/training wannabe's would make of this route compared to an integrated route (say with Stapleford).

Whilst I understand the costs of Stapleford fATPL are £35k ish, that would be for less than 200 hours as against the train in NZ and finish in UK with possibly 250-300 hours.

Any thoughts out there?

Regards
Argo