PDA

View Full Version : BoBMF

LowNSlow
23rd Oct 2003, 12:27
Is the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight really the right name for this gathering of wonderful aircraft?

As only the Spitfire II and the Hurricanes are representative of the aircraft that fought in the BoB shouldn't the RAF / MoD be considering a name change?

Suggestions please. I'll kick off with:

RAF Memorial Flight, bland I know but it does cover the spectrum of FighterHurricanes & Spitfires), Bomber (Lancaster), Transport (Dakota) and Training (Chipmunks) Commands represented by the Flights current fleet.

RabbitLeader
23rd Oct 2003, 15:26
That's a valid point - in fact, only the Spitfire II is an "actual" Battle veteran, although as you point out the Hurricanes are representative of the types that flew in 1940.

Mind you, I'm all for sticking with "Battle of Britain Memorial Flight" - it's a more poignant name and springs readily to mind, unlike the "Commemorative Air Force" which, although this is more appropriate than "Confederate", the name still takes getting used to!

Hairyplane
23rd Oct 2003, 16:10
I'll go with Low and Slow -

'RAF Memorial Flight' seems to be a better name.

HP

spekesoftly
23rd Oct 2003, 19:02
Interesting to read on the BoBMF Website (http://www.raf.mod.uk/bbmf/history.html) that the original name was the 'Historic Aircraft Flight', and that the change to 'BoBMF' coincided with the arrival of the Lancaster in 1973.

G-KEST
24th Oct 2003, 00:00
I do remember the term Historic Aircraft Flight from many years ago but am a bit put off by the abbreviation RAFHAF pronounced rafaff. It may be more accurate in reflecting the actual composition of the unit but surely BBMF has stood the test of time.
On a related point I believe Paul Day retires this year from the job of OC BBMF and would be grateful if I could find out exactly when. I first met him back in the sixties when he led a loose pair of FGA9 Hunters at the Sunderland (Usworth) airshow. Ultra low and on the blue note - Magic........!!!!!!!! If anyone knows please drop me an email.:{

spekesoftly
24th Oct 2003, 00:25
Perhaps the BBMF is now large enough to be re-named the 'Royal Air Force Historic Aircraft Squadron' abbreviated RAFHAS, pronounced rafass? ......... Oh! maybe not. :E

No, let's stick with BBMF.

Blacksheep
25th Oct 2003, 00:05
As one of those who worked under Ken Terry's excellent direction to restore PA474 at Waddington back in the sixties I was very offended by the name Battle of Britain Memorial Flight. The aircraft was rescued from its intended fate as a static exhibit in the RAF Museum by the CO of 44 (Rhodesia) Squadron to be a flying memorial to the thousands of Bomber Command crews who lost their lives in the war.

The 'Few' deservedly get plenty of credit for holding the line at a key moment in history but our work on PA474 was intended to commemorate the 'Many' who went on to finally destroy the Nazi's war making capability. The BBMF name belittles their sacrifice.

I vote for the Royal Air Force Memorial Flight.

Through difficulties to the cinema

grow45
25th Oct 2003, 00:39
Given the lack of official support for the Navy Historic Flight (or so I believe) would there be merit in a combined RAF, Navy and Army Air Corps Historic Flight serving as a memorial to all who served in the air - The Royal Memorial Flight - or something similar.

grow45