PDA

View Full Version : Removing web addresses...

JustaFew
23rd Oct 2003, 07:30
An annoying by-product of surfing is finding some addresses appear on the drop-down menu on which the internet home page is set, on the internet options menu. Having to reset the homepage isn't difficult, but how do I remove unwanted web addresses, and keep them off?

:confused:

Binoculars
23rd Oct 2003, 08:11
Further down the Internet Options page you will find a "Clear History" button.

The drop down menu will only contain urls you type in, not ones selected from links or favourites. I think. :confused:

P.S. Don't forget to clear the Start > Documents too; that can get fairly embarrassing. Ohh, and don't forget to clear the Temp Internet Files. Oh, and if you're using WMP, don't forget to clear the recently played list; just in case something naughty miraculously makes its way in there. Oh, and........ :rolleyes:

JustaFew
23rd Oct 2003, 17:59
Tried deleting cookies and files, clearing history all to no avail.
Is the problem to do with the settings on the Advanced tab of Internet Options, or settings elsewhere within the computer?

Front_Seat_Dreamer
24th Oct 2003, 02:31
JustaFew

Bincs has suggested the correct things to try however I will go over a slightly different way to do it which is usually faultless.

Close down all applications you have open esp IE.

Now if you have a big blue e on your desktop right click on it and go to properties now this is the same screen as you get in Tools - Options but sometimes works better when IE is closed

Now click on the Clear History button then the yes button - it should take a second or two depending on how much you surf.

Now click on the Delete Files button and then OK - again this may take a few seconds.

Now open IE again and see if this has cleared the list of previously viewed sites, Bincs was half right, it will only show you the sites you have physically typed in but will autofill any that you have previously visited.

If this doesn't work then do a search for a folder called History then delete the contents of it which will get rid of it all.

Let me know if you have no joy.

JustaFew
26th Oct 2003, 22:24
Although I no longer have the 'e' on the bottom tool bar, I can access the Internet Options menu by clicking on Start, Settings, Control Panel, with the Internet Explorer closed down.
I can successfully delete files, history and content using this method, but not the list which appears in the window to set the Homepage Address. There must be another way to remove the addresses which are stored in the Homepage Address but I don't know how to do this. Might it be on the Advanced tab on the Internet Options menu, or buried elsewhere within the bowels of the computer?

TheStormyPetrel
27th Oct 2003, 20:50
Okay, try opening IE, from the menu at the top choose "tools" then "internet options" then select the "content" tab, then the "auto complete settings" where you'll find useful stuff you can tick or untick, including "use AutoComplete for..." and it includes "web addresses" which is, I think, what you are frustrated with. So untick that, and see how you go. Good luck :ok:

By the way, do you want to put the "e" back on your toolbar or desktop? If so, and maybe you know this (if so, sorry), but when you open it the way you described, you can right click on it instead of opening it, and then choose "Send to" then "desktop, create shortcut" and it will be on your desktop. Just drag the desktop icon onto your toolbar - sort of drag and drop if you want it there too, and it will duplicate itself onto your bottom toolbar. If you don't want it on your desktop, just right click and choose "delete" on the desktop icon and you will only delete the shortcut, not the original program.

JustaFew
28th Oct 2003, 21:34
S U C C E S S ! ! !

A huge thanks for all your suggestions, ladies and gentlemen.
:ok: