PDA

View Full Version : Ground Handling

darrenmorris
23rd Oct 2003, 05:37
When an aircraft is in maintenance; who / how / what qualifications / ratings etc. are required for movement of aircraft, within

a) "public" airfield operational areas

and

b) private company areas

I presume that movements involving tugs still require suitably qualified personnel on the flight deck; so to what extent are these people trained to operate aircraft systems?

Are there people within the major airlines / ground handling companies trained to taxi aircraft under their own power without any kind of formal pilot rating?

Just curious!

Thanks,

D.

Lear_doctor
23rd Oct 2003, 17:52
Our company only deals in corporate jets so can only speak of that size of aircraft. For ground ops at Manchester there are two elements to consider, the tug driver and the aircraft system 'operator,

Firstly the tug driver needs an airfield-driving permit, and in our case a Permit B radio licence for communication with the tower. Both are obtained from Manchester Airport after a short course, and are renewed every few years.

In bigger towing operations of course, a tow team controller could well be the Permit B holder.

As for the occasions when the aircraft is moved under its own power, such as testing to confirm a steering defect. The staff member needs company approval. This is generally based on a run and taxi course, which forms part of the maintenance-training course on the aircraft.

Hope the above helps

The Doc

HZ123
24th Oct 2003, 21:13
Similar at LHR Tug drivers undergo 4 weeks training which include them qualifying in performing start up tasks as the 'Head set man'.

At LHR a tug driver will require an LGV licence which must have been held for a number of years.

As far as I know now it is rare foe engineering staff to move an a/c under its own power. This exercise has been mainly stoped due to a number of serious accidents i.e. engineering staff taxying the a/c to fast and failing to stop.

BA also pass tug drivers/ headset operators as brake men and also flightdeck procedures for starting up APU and powering up braking systems plus nav/ hazard lights. Ditto what L_D says Cat c airside licence required.

Finally under 'Jarops' throughout the EU all these functions should in the near future be standardised to the same level and requirement irrespective of the airfield or the a/c size.

Hand Shandy
27th Oct 2003, 07:35
Just to add, under my company and a few others i`ve worked for most A&C guys hold taxi approvals after being passed out by the Chief Pilot , engine runs and towing are generally company approvals which involve being passed out by an experienced colleague . Other than that most other handling is dealt with by airport authorities as i guess it all comes down to insurance , so even though you`ve got 20 years plus experience you`re not allowed to marshall the aircraft , thats up to the baggage handlers