PDA

View Full Version : NTSB blames pilot for 2002 Raton crash

Heliport
23rd Oct 2003, 01:45
KOBTV REPORT
NTSB blames pilot for fatal 2002 helicopter crash near Raton

Albuquerque-AP -- Federal investigators say pilot error probably caused a fiery helicopter crash near Raton that killed the two people aboard the craft.

The June 27, 2002, crash of the single-engine Bell 206-B3 killed the pilot, Greggory Jadus of Albuquerque, and Mike Dominguez of Bernalillo.

Authorities say they were inspecting electrical lines in clear weather when the helicopter hit cables running between power poles.

National Transportation Safety Board investigators say witnesses saw the helicopter flying level with the lines then, moments later, exploding in a fireball.

The crash occurred about 40 minutes after the helicopter had taken off from Raton Municipal Airport.

The wreckage was in an open, rolling field about 40 miles west of Raton.

zalt
23rd Oct 2003, 03:12
See:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20020708X01056&key=1

Interesting that: "inspection flights were flown between 40 and 50 knots, on the right side of the transmission system, with the main rotor a "few" feet above the highest wire, but not over-lapping the wire."

Anyone have an idea of how long these flights are conducted in such close proximity to wires?

RDRickster
23rd Oct 2003, 04:26
Interesting report. For those of you that fly line patrol often, how close do you usually get to the lines? Perhaps the sun glare, as indicated by the report, may have been a factor. However, I'm wondering if any sudden gusts were contributory (especially since it was just about 8 a.m. and it was warming up). I guess it's all conjecture since the pilot and passenger are not available for comment (sadly).

Autorotate
23rd Oct 2003, 04:44
Here is a pretty blunt question regarding not just this accident, but any relating to wire strikes.

Q - If a helicopter runs into any sort of wire, wouldnt it generally be accepted as pilot error.

:E

zalt
23rd Oct 2003, 04:54
This is not 'any wirestrike' if the operation deliberately involves flying close alongside wires for potentially very long distances on a regular basis.

Nigel Osborn
23rd Oct 2003, 06:58
As wires can be well above 500 feet and are rarely marked on charts, you don't have to be flying low to hit them. In our area we had local knowledge and all new pilots were fully briefed but 'foreign' pilots had a hard time. :(

Gomer Pylot
23rd Oct 2003, 07:27
Over here, they not only do powerline patrol, they work on the lines from a helicopter. The dummy sits in a basket outside the helicopter, attached to the front, and works on the lines while the pilot hovers above it. Not a job I ever intend to do. A number of fatalities have resulted over the years.

ron-powell
24th Oct 2003, 01:42
Hello from Albuquerque:

We heard this crash was due to a wire the crew didn't see and didn't know was there. Yeah, I know "pilot error". The story is a new set of wires were being installed perpendicular to the main set and there was a supporting guy wire from the nearest pole of the new set to the old main set. Apparently the crew was flying on the construction side of the main set. They hit the support wire.

Ron Powell

zalt
24th Oct 2003, 01:50
The NTSB do mention a change made in 2000 to the wires.

But one thing for sure is that even if the pilot did not know, the powerline company (who I assume pay for the inspections) did.

Autorotate
25th Oct 2003, 03:35
Yes but when it comes down to the crunch its not mechanical failure if a helicopter flies into wires is it. The bottom line is if a helicopter hits wires, for whatever reason, whether working near them, over them, or on them, there is no other reason for it except pilot error. Right or wrong.

:E

zalt
25th Oct 2003, 19:53
Surely the bottom line is always what can be done to prevent future acidents?