PDA

View Full Version : Shagbat! Any Survivors?

Agaricus bisporus
22nd Oct 2003, 22:57
Years ago there were rumours of Shagbat still flying somewhere in Oz.

Any info on airworthy examples of this most charismatic of Naval workhorses?

(Supermarine Walrus to the non-naval community)

JDK
22nd Oct 2003, 23:32
Hi,
There are 3 Walruses / Walrii and one Seagull V.

HD874 in the RAAF Museum

A2-4 (RAAF Seagull V) in the RAF Museum

One in the Fleet Air Arm Museum, Yeovilton

One in private hands near Great Yarmouth.

The one you are thinking of flying in Oz in the 60s was A2-4 ex- VH-ALB

I'm currently writing a book on the type, but if you can get your hands on 'The Supermatine Walrus by G W R Nicholl, that's an excellent read in the meantime!

Pictures of survivors at http://community.webshots.com/user/buchonalia
Cheers
James

Hairyplane
22nd Oct 2003, 23:38
A Walrus project - owned by Dick Melton (pardon my ignorance - never heard of him) was mentioned on 'Shuttleworth Displays' (p2) - bottom of this page.

There isnt one flying - several projects and bits around the world I would guess.

HP

Zero replies when I hit the keyboard -

JDK's comprehensive reply beat mine when I posted it so disregard!

What is the lowdown with the Melton machine.

What does he want for it?

You never know........

HP

Aerohack
23rd Oct 2003, 00:09
Dick Melton was formerly chief engineer for the late Charles Church's Collection at Church's strip near Popham. The forward fuselage of his Walrus I (W2718/G-RNLI) had been converted into a caravan, and was stored thus in the car park of the Southampton Hall of Aviation until Dick took on its restoration in 1989. It's making good progress towards eventual airworthiness in Great Yarmouth.

Rallye Driver
23rd Oct 2003, 00:57
Dick Melton's Walrus is up for sale if anyone has the cash and somewhere to continue the rebuild.

A fair bit of work has aleready been done.

Would certainly be nice to see one in the air again.

RD

JW411
23rd Oct 2003, 02:33
The RAF Museum's Seagull V A2-4 was brought back from Oz in an RAF Belfast. I seem to remember that it had a bloody great gash in the fuselage which is probably why its flying career came to an end.

Incidentally, the RAF Museum's Supermarine Stranraer came back from British Columbia in two Belfasts and most of their Fairey Battle came back in similar fashion from Keflavik.

The FAA Museum Walrus was found in a scrapyard in Thame but the wings had to be built from scratch.

The RAAF Museum example was recovered from Antartica where it had been badly damaged in high winds donkey's years ago.

As someone has already stated, Dick Melton's rebuild started off with a forward fuselage that had been converted into a caravan. I also believe that the project is up for sale.

JDK
23rd Oct 2003, 05:46
Hi,
There was a good discussion with pics of the Shagbat survivors over at the Flypast forum. Have a look at:http://www.keypublishing.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15732&highlight=walrus or search 'walrus' on the Historic Aviation bit.

If anyone wants more info, jus' ask!

Anyone intesrested in a Walrus website or association? Just n idea.
Cheers
James