PDA

View Full Version : New NAIPS system

barleyhi
22nd Oct 2003, 12:49
http://www.airwaysmuseum.com/facilities%20images/MB%20briefing.JPG

Capn Bloggs
22nd Oct 2003, 13:00
Hang on, I can see TWO Dick Smiths there!! Surely he hasn't got a twin brother??!! Oh No!!

So, HE got fired from Flight Service for talking on the phone double-time...that's why his nose has been out of joint all these years!!

22nd Oct 2003, 13:30
how modern is the office!!!!

is this CASA's head office??? how modern is the offices and phones!!!......

that could explain why things take so long at CASA to get processed.

Capt Fathom
22nd Oct 2003, 13:33
Check out those cardigans!

404 Titan
22nd Oct 2003, 13:52
Ah, the days of Flight Service and the personal briefing at a briefing office or over the phone by an FSO. Those were the days. Somehow the personal touch has been lost as it has in so many industries. But hey, that is progress. :yuk: :sad: ;)

Disco Stu
22nd Oct 2003, 18:13
That looks very much like the MB Briefing Office of the early 70's.

It also looks like the back of Geoff's head in the foreground at the WX desk.

I'm not old enough to remember it (off course)

Disco Stu

Arm out the window
22nd Oct 2003, 19:45
Computers may be good, but when are they going to make one that can compete with those haircuts and cardigans?

Chief galah
23rd Oct 2003, 17:36
That's got to be "Doggie" Dagleish on the right.

(Obviously working on a "doggiegram"!!)

The Ericophons, (on the left) are still giving good service.

And the briefing officer......."but you've forgotten the 30 holding."

CG

OzExpat
23rd Oct 2003, 21:41
Blooody 'ell... that could me who forgot to add in the 30 holding! :D Now then, wotz all this about a new NAIPS? :}

missy
24th Oct 2003, 22:06
Looks like an American Briefing Office. Oh, that's right is part of NAS...

ENMAN
30th Oct 2003, 05:53
I'm showing my age but here goes.
Moorabbin Briefing Office circa 1972
Pilot - Don't know
Briefing officer talking to pilot - Bill Clapp ATC (still in MB twr)
Second BO - Barry Williams FSO (ex RAN Sea Venom pilot)
Man at teletype - Graham Smyth (went on to KI & SY)
Back of head - Geoff Whelan B of MET (nicest guy I ever worked with)

Flyspray
30th Oct 2003, 06:21
A you sure it's not Essendon?

Woomera
30th Oct 2003, 08:51
Ahhhh,

Now all I need is some hot buttered toast soldiers with my soft boiled eggs and Milo, get my ruggie, tune the radio and settle back to catch the latest adventure of Hop Harrigan;

.."CX4 to control, CX4 to contol this is Hop Harrigan coming in" with Stuka sound in the backgound" it took me a long time to work out it was possible to land an aircraft without crashing.:rolleyes:

and all would be right with the world.:ok:

Given the size and geography of the country we had the best system in the world.

God bless em all.

There are more than a few, including myself, who were steered out of trouble by their wise advice and ability to see beyond the obvious in the FCST. :ok:

and "out there" at the end of a long days night.

"Ceduna ABC 30 miles inbound blah blah and would you mind putting a pie in the oven and is the urn on?"

Spodman
8th Nov 2003, 06:35
The system for Meekatharra (especially on HF) was PI = a pie, CB = Crista-burger (Crista Bee being the BP refueller with the frying pan)

Heard one RFDS pilot blow the code by saying "...Meeka at 42, request 2 Charlie Bravo on arrival, um, one with sauce."

If you want to live in the past there is more here at Essendon (http://www.airwaysmuseum.com/)

QNIM
9th Nov 2003, 03:15
Hey Woomera
You are really showing your age, what about the Air Adventures of Biggles, they always flew around with the TAPS WIDE OPEN couldn't understand why they didn't blow their engines up.
Cheers Q :O

AirNoServicesAustralia
9th Nov 2003, 07:00
But they all look like Uncle Arthur to me.:D