PDA

View Full Version : Norton Cleansweep question.

Say again s l o w l y
22nd Oct 2003, 07:20
Hi,
I've just run Norton cleansweep. It brings up a representation of what can be freed up and how much space is free on the hard drive.

My question is. Why after everytime I run it, does the amount that can be freed always go straight back to 49KB, instead of zero? It does initially go to 0, but goes back up virtually immmediately. It seems to be in the Internet History section. I've tried emptying it manually, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Does this make sense? Do I have something on their I shouldn't. I've recently run a web virus checker (as recommended by Rich Gentil) and it found 3 trojans, so I'm a bit paranoid about virus's in general.

Cheers in advance

Engineer
22nd Oct 2003, 15:18
Answer lies in the read me file that should have come with the software. But reproduced for your convenience below

In some situations, Fast & Safe Cleanup may report space can be freed even after pressing the Clean Now button. This is due to Windows preventing Fast & Safe from deleting certain files. This is harmless and can be ignored

If u r the subject of back door trojans then u should invest in a good firewall. But this must be properly configured to ensure all unused port or configured correctly

Hope info help. Happy surfing

Say again s l o w l y
22nd Oct 2003, 16:21
Thanks, that makes sense, I suppose I should really have read the manual properly!!

I'll definately have to get a decent firewall especially as I've just had broadband installed, does anyone have any suggestions? Software or hard ware one? How much would a decent hardware firewall cost?

Cheers again.

Engineer
22nd Oct 2003, 23:47
Once again I am a norton man have the complete package system works and internet security.

It works 4 me but as said above u need to stay on top of it and test regularly. Can be a nuisance but in the end reformatting your hard drive would be worst ;)

If u r not sure of who is interrograting your connection it is an eye opener, but if u use a site like

http://www.showmyip.com/

or the built in symantec tracer can reveal a lot about what is happening to your puter while u r connected to the so call information highway

as all ways safe surfing :{

wink wink
23rd Oct 2003, 02:30
Just out of curiousity with that link does it show you your own IP address as it is viewed over the internet? If so it had my browser incorrect, would that be because of my firewall?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
23rd Oct 2003, 09:48
Say again s l o w l y,

Just be careful with Norton System Works. I have fixed many a person's computer, just by removing it from their system. NSW creates more problems than it solves.

How many Gb is your hard drive and how much data do you have on it?

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. The three trojans, were anyone of the three destructive?

Say again s l o w l y
23rd Oct 2003, 16:55
Hi Richard,

The hard drive is 40Gb with roughly 29Gb free on it. I don't think they were destructive, they were all the same one and I haven't noticed any problems. I'd put down what they were, but I've forgotten the actual name of them. I suppose it should be in the logs somewhere, I'll have a hunt and if I find it I'll post it here.

Why is NSW not any good? Is there another similar package that you would recommend, or should it all be done manually for best results?

Cheers.

Just found what it was called. Trojan.ByteVerify I've just checked the name outTrojan.ByteVerify is a Trojan Horse that exploits the vulnerability described in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-011 and could provide a hacker the ability to run arbitrary code on an infected system.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
24th Oct 2003, 05:28
Say again s l o w l y,

With 29Gb Free on a 40Gb HD, you do not need to worry about freeing up space. I would not worry about it. If you install and uninstall programs regularly, all you need to do is defrag every so often. If you are not installing programs regularly, I would not worry about defragging unless the computer slows down.

Windows, especially WinXP Pro, has a very good set of utilities built in to the OS, so no need for third party programs like NSW.

I try to install the very least amount of programs needed to do everything I want on the computer.

I checked and the Trojan, ByteVerify, is a non destructive virus, so you should not have any ill effects from having it in your system.

Take Care,

Richard

Say again s l o w l y
24th Oct 2003, 06:12
Thanks Engineer and Richard.

Ausatco
24th Oct 2003, 15:22
If I may add my 2 bob's worth ...

My employer provides me with Trend Micro's PC Cillin 2003 (http://www.trendmicro.com/en/home/global/enterprise.htm), which I've found to be excellent. I run that on my desktop.

The boss also gives me Vet Antivirus (http://www.vet.com.au) which I use on my laptop because it seems to me it doesn't load up the lappy as much as PCCillin did.

For a software firewall I don't think you can go past ZoneAlarm (http://www.zonelabs.com). That comes in a basic, free version where the firewall is fully functional but the prog has few bells and whistles. There are also Plus and Pro versions with extra features.

My experience with these progs has been excellent. (2 x P4 boxen, XP Home, DSL broadband always on)

AA