PDA

View Full Version : Multi Engine Rating written exam

Zaptain
22nd Oct 2003, 02:56
Hi chaps,

After the long toil of the ATPL exams I now find that there is yet another one for the Multi Engine Rating.
Does anyone know of any source of feedback or example questions I or others might use?

Cheers

mad_jock
22nd Oct 2003, 03:22
Its apiece of piss after the ATPL's you will have covered all the theory in them.

Half the exam is on theory the other half from the pref book of the plane you are flying.

The schools normally write there own exam then the caa Ok it or not.

MJ

Charlie Zulu
22nd Oct 2003, 03:26
That is news to me!

Must be a new JAA thing as I'm sure it wasn't a requirement back in the CAA days.

As the Multi Rating is an addon to either a PPL or CPL I'd expect it to be along the same sort of knowledge level as the PPL and IMC exams (albiet on a different knowledge area!).

I'd be interested to see if anyone has a Confuser or such like as I'm doing mine next March (Doing the FAA Multi Add-On so will take the JAA Multi Flight Test at the same time - JAA approved school in the USA).

devokeuk
22nd Oct 2003, 04:06
Yep, don't worry about it. I was given a choice of 3 papers to do. 4 sections to it. One section will be specific to your A/C type, so know the SOP for your A/C.

You gotta complete a T/O & Landing performance and m&b chart.
Look over your Princ. of flight acc sections again.

Best of luck

:)

Zaptain
22nd Oct 2003, 05:46
Cheers chaps.

Weight off my mind.
:ok:

Cutoff
23rd Oct 2003, 00:38
I did the written MEP exam two weeks ago, I have 8 ATPLs so far and there is no comparison, you will not have any trouble with this at all.

Jinkster
23rd Oct 2003, 16:47
The ME rating paper is pretty easy - I did it at PPL level i.e before I started to study ATPL theory.

You will have no problems at all with it. As long as you can do the basic PoF for an ME a/c you will be fine. The weight and balance is easy peasy, and the section about your a/c just know your basic aircraft manual.

Going back a long time now but I remember questions asked about the hydraulic reservoir, weight of the a/c etc

Best of Luck

Jinkster

Julian
23rd Oct 2003, 20:27
CZ,

There is no written for the FAA Multi, however there is an oral exam - which is worse as you cant blag an answer! The oral is very much a systems exam as much as a multi exam so know your aircraft and its POH inside out.

I used the ASA pocket books which you can get for both the checkride and the oral exam. The oral exam guide gives you the basic sort of questions you will be asked "What is VMC", etc and then you move onto the second part of the exam which is aircraft specific. My exam lasted about an hour, they tend to question you on a point and see if you know what you are on about, if you dont seem very sure they will start pushing you, if they move on its a good sign.

Good luck!

Julian.

Zaptain
25th Oct 2003, 00:49
Thanks for the comments guys.

Read the flight manual and took the exam, passed.
40 questions in 1 hour (took me about 15 - 20 minutes), no graphs or charts to look at or fill in, just all knowledge and theory.

As everyone said, no problem.

Cheers
Zaptain, (one step closer)