PDA

View Full Version : Shell Aviation in Nigeria

canileb
21st Oct 2003, 23:13
Hi,

I saw a Dornier 328 JET in their colors while there: any info on employment or contact info?

Thanks!

zalt
22nd Oct 2003, 04:33
They are operated for Shell Petroleum Development Company between Lagos and Osubi, near Warri where EC155 operate onward shuttles to the local rigs in the swamp. The 328 Jets are certainly maintained by Bristow Nigeria, and were upgraded from vanilla prop 328s a few years back, and previously replaced Bristow DHC-6s I believe. I guess operations will be managed by Shell Aircraft (not Aviation - a very different BU).

canileb
22nd Oct 2003, 04:41
Thanks for this very detailed reply!

Should I even bother applying to them with no jet time (but with a bit of turbine time)? Also, do they hire only nationals?

Cheers

zalt
22nd Oct 2003, 05:01
I aim to please!

Likely to be a multi-national work force. If they follow the standard Oil & Gas Produces guidelines for this type of aircraft I suspect for even a FO they would want 1000 hours, with at least 500 of these on multi-engines, 250 on turbine aircraft.

canileb
22nd Oct 2003, 06:18
Thanks again Zalt!

Final question: should I apply with Bristow or Shell Aircraft (if I can find their contact)? I understand Bristow is another Shell company?

Thanks!

ColeFace
22nd Oct 2003, 09:46
Shell Nigeria!!!

Sort of waiting for chuks to pounce on this one but I'll have a go.

did you try Bristow webb site. DUH Last I looked they had an open inventory for pilot applications and other trades I'd imagine.

Last we in aviation knew Bristow was controlled by Olog out of the good ol USA. Can't imagine where you got the information Shell owned Bristow Helicopters. Call Bristow HR in Redhill and get it firsthand

canileb
22nd Oct 2003, 18:55
Well I understood from the previous post that Shell Aircraft, not Nigeria are in charge... As for Bristow: my mistake!

Thanks for your reply.

zalt
23rd Oct 2003, 00:53
canileb

Easy mistake - Shell often act like they own their contractors!

I was assuming your interest was fixed wing. As far as I know, the 328Jets are the only significant fixed wing operation that any Bristow company is involved in (as ColeFace says Bristow are owned by US group OLOG). If you want to contact HR at Bristow's HQ regarding helicopter opportunities e-mail: [email protected] - though you might get better advice on Rotorheads.

If you are only interested in fixed wing work in Nigeria, you could try Pan African Airlines Nigeria at Murtala Mohammed Airport
Ikeja. They are a partly owned OLOG operation in Nigeria, mainly with smaller heliopters and a few light turboprops (C208s etc) who won a big five-year contract with the Nigerian National Petroleum Company/Chevron/Texaco joint venture last year. HR for OLOG's US run international ops are at e-mail: [email protected]

The other big oil & gas support operator in Nigeria is Aerocontractors http://www.acn.aero who also have a number of Dash 8s on scheduled services.

canileb
23rd Oct 2003, 01:36
Zalt, your input is very valuable: thank you! I am indeed interested by fixed wings only. I will write to them and find out if they are hiring.

Happy flying!

CitationTen
28th Oct 2003, 10:51
hey canileb,

when i met with the chief pilot of bristow in lagos (was about 2-3 years ago, so info might be out of date), they wanted 5000 hours just for the king air 200 they had (and that was even for a right seat job!!!!!)! he said the requirements were so high because it's a shell contract and that's what shell wanted. So unless your a very experienced captain, it'd be a tuff job to get. also, the nigerian aviation authority is pushing to have nigerian pilots flying equipment in nigeria, futher complicating getting a job (unless your a local). just the facts as i've gotten them in the past. hope this helps :bored:

canileb
29th Oct 2003, 02:56
Thanks! It's always good to know such things...

Happy flying!

zalt
30th Oct 2003, 00:53
CitationTen - Shell wanting 5 times standard oil company experience level? Sounds typical! PAAN and ACN probably accept much less for the companies that are their clients, but you are right that there is a big push, and not unreasonably, to use local nationals. I guess that would be particularly so on light fixed wing types.

212man
2nd Nov 2003, 18:23
I'm pretty certain you would need an ATPL for the Do328 too.

They don't just fly to Osubi; Port Harcourt, Abuja and Sao Tome also figure in their schedules!

no reds
8th Nov 2003, 23:00
still going into Principe ? or did that stop with 328 jet arrival ?

TomBola
10th Nov 2003, 01:17
Looking on Rotorheads, I see that Aero are getting a Boeing 737 in Lagos, so maybe they're worth a try - though it looks as if they may have some pretty unhappy people there!

212man
10th Nov 2003, 18:13
No Reds,
no Principe now, Sao Tome instead. In fact I think that may be on hold at the moment too.