PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP - auto action

Splat
21st Oct 2003, 22:12
Or whatever you call it. When I plug my camera in, it automatically starts running some processes, like downloading the images into my software. Problem is that this has got screwed up, and I need to amend it - Any idea where?

btw, I get the same box up when I put in a data CD into the CD drive.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
21st Oct 2003, 23:59
Splat,

What has happened at one time, you had the action box come up with options on what to do when the camera is plugged in. At some time, an action was picked and at the bottom of the box a checkmark was placed telling it to always do that action without promting.

http://www.naples-air-center.com/DAoC/camerawizard01-001.gif

Microsoft has a Video on the whole process:

Transfer Photos to Your Computer with Windows XP (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/digitalphotography/videos/getphotos.asp)

Take Care,

Richard

Splat
22nd Oct 2003, 00:48
Thanks Richard. What I'm after is a way to amend the settings once the box has been checked, that's what I can't seem to find.

Cheers

S

Eddie_Crane
22nd Oct 2003, 01:14
Hi,
I am not sure this is going to be of real help but I think it is somehow related to your problem

A DV device is treated like any other removable storage in XP and you get an autoplay prompt when you plug in the camcorder.

When I bought my DV camcorder I installed some software that came with it. The software sucks, but before I came to that realization, I had already made it the default for DV autoplay.

The problem is that once you select an app to autoplay, there is NO WAY to change it unlike with other removables (where you can right click on it and change it in it's properties).

Trust me, I did a LOT of research online and could not find any way to do it.

Finally, after a careful search through the registry, I figured out how to disable DV autoplay entirely.

ALL the autoplay handlers are stored in this registry folder: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr
entVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\Handlers\

I found the app that was being autoplayed when I plugged in my DV camera and deleted it's entry. Now NOTHING autoplays when I plug in my camcorder which is just the way I prefer it.

I'm sure there's a more elegant solution that allows you to reset the autoplay so that you can select another app, but this solves the problem for me.

Might not be the solution you are looking for but it might give you ideas on what to do with the AutoPlay for a DV device
hope it is of some use.

C

ORAC
22nd Oct 2003, 02:01
Open My Computer. Under Devices with Removable Storage, select and right-click the camera, then click Properties, then the the AutoPlay tab. Then follow the instructions found here (http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art4985.asp).

Front_Seat_Dreamer
22nd Oct 2003, 02:04
Splat

If you go into My Computer and right click on your CD drive the go to Properties there should be an Autoplay tab with various selections in a drop down box check them all and set them to Prompt me to choose then the box should reappear next time you insert a disk.

Probably just changes the registry entry that Cesco mentions but is a hell of a lot safer to do it this way.

FSD

[Edit/Stupid mode] Really must read the question properly but between me and ORAC I think you will get the message
[Edit/Stupid mode off]

Splat
22nd Oct 2003, 02:31
Tip top set of answers, really gratefull - thanks to you all.

Splat