PDA

View Full Version : Rumour - JAA ATPL Theory in Perth soon ?

DXLR8R
21st Oct 2003, 20:57
I have heard someone is starting a JAA ATPL Ground School in Perth soon. IS this true ???

hombre_007
21st Oct 2003, 22:09
I think the WA Aviation college are trying to get something off the ground at jandakot.

Should be interesting, though hope the JAR is a little better than their Aus ATPL course :p

redsnail
22nd Oct 2003, 04:41
JAR theory is a nightmare. It's not simple, it's not straight forward and it's so bloated with superfluous stuff it's painful.
To do the ATPL full time the course has to be a minimum of 650 hours face to face. (In other words, a minimum of 6 months in the class room.
The alternative is distance learning. You do home study and attend a compulsory 2 x 2 week brush up course. (It's only not compulsory if you are converting an ICAO ATPL).
Many theory providers went broke during the JAR change over.
Reason. Time required to do the course had increased four fold. This slowed the number of students going through plus the sheer bureaucratic costs just hit the prroviders hard. This was especially so if they also wanted to do flight training as well.
Don't go JAR.

DXLR8R
22nd Oct 2003, 18:24
your doing ok out of your jaa atpl redsnail !!! dont you want some company over there in pomme land???

;) ;) ;)

Boomerang
22nd Oct 2003, 20:36
It would be nice to see it happen, the really interesting bit will be the cost structure. I'm guessing they'll do it with the UK being the issuing authority. Once people realise the costs will there be enough demand?

As Reddo said, I don't think its' something to be taken lightly, you may get away with doing the theory fairly cheaply, but if you haven't got the cash to see it through to a practical lic, it could all be for nought.

redsnail
23rd Oct 2003, 04:28
DX,
I have no dramas with people doing a JAR ATPL. I really believe that the Australian system for all it's faults is a much better ATPL. I would say I am "doing ok" versus "doing well" at the moment. :D I'll be doing better when I shift seats or type. (I am grateful to be flying however).

For a laugh, have a wander through the UK CAA's website (CAA SRG) and look up LASORS. All the info about the various licences and theory requirements are there. Note, their exams have time limits on them too.
I believe CASA did away with time limits some time ago.

To be honest, I learnt more about filing flight plans, IR stuff and radio work from doing ops and flying the line than I did from the JAR ATPL.
Compared to the Australian system it is OTT but seems to give no real practical info. In the UK, at the moment there is no CPL theory providers. If you want a CPL, you have to do the ATPL. Hence, the ATPL goes into single engine piston operations!! If you want to get an instrument rating, you can either do the ATPL or something like 7 exams to do the theory.
Also, it is horrendously expensive. The exams (14) cost a total of 714 pounds when I did it. (that's around $1800 at the moment).
If theory providers want to teach JAR they'll have to follow all the JAR requirements and probably be affiliated with a JAR country. I dare say the UK is the most logical choice. The CAA is unbelievably expensive and isn't the most flexible organisation on earth. (Well, the licensing mob aren't any way).
I am sure the theory providers will look into it carefully, many formally prosperous ?? CAA flying and theory schools went broke converting and teaching JAR.

swh
23rd Oct 2003, 17:07
Have a look at http://www.nacgroundschool.com/

You can do all your theory for US$1750 (AUD$2481 today) via distance learning, and sitting each exan for US$45(x14 exams) (AUD$893 today), full time course also available.

Thats cheaper than what some of the guys charge in Oz for the Oz ATPL course.