PDA

View Full Version : Language of this Forum

Captain Stable
21st Oct 2003, 20:09
Do people want this Forum to remain English-only, or turn into a Spanish- or Portuguese-only Forum?

Please note that this poll does not mean that democracy has come to PPRuNe, nor that the result will place any obligation on the Administrators of PPRuNe - at all times Danny has the final say. :ok:

B Sousa
21st Oct 2003, 21:14
How about letting it remain the International language of the Airways......I realize many are bi-lingual, good for them, but I think you will limit the responses.
Someone wants another one there are plenty of other forums out there.........

AIRWAY
21st Oct 2003, 21:40
I Think the Spanish forum should be renamed to Spanish & Portuguese Forum, or the Iberian (Spain + Portugal) Forum.

Just my opinion:rolleyes:

nopoal
22nd Oct 2003, 00:50
Hi everybody!!!

In my case, I understand all the languages, I write better and quicker in spanish, but I really donīt care. Up to you guys.

V1 rotate :cool:

Panama Jack
22nd Oct 2003, 02:24
I see the problem you've identified Captain Stable.

The intent of my suggestion was to bring more participation to the Caribbean and Latin American Forum if, indeed, people are hesitant to post because of lack of ability in the English language, in response to the thoughts by another poster. My thoughts were not a English language Forum, or a Spanish language forum, or a Portuguese language forum, but rather one where the languages of the region are permitted.

I am opposed, for example, to changing it to a Spanish-only or Portuguese-only language forum since it would mean driving away some of the valued contributors who are anglophones. This would be counterproductive.

I agree that the so-called "Spanish Language Forum" is mostly an attraction to Spaniards, and takes on a very Euro-flavor.

Perhaps there is no interest of other Latin American pilots above and beyond those already participating. I think obviously be helpful if we had an indication of other pilots who would participate, who do not currently do so, if multilingualism were OK.

Or perhaps I am just stirring the pot. The intentions are good anyhow. I would be willing to assist in moderating if Spanish becomes one of the languages in use here.

So I don't vote any of the options present on the ballot. I would like to see a multi-lingual forum, however, if this is not possible, I believe the status quo would be most favorable. The question is how to get the greatest amount of participation from those who participate in, have participated in, and/or have an interest in aviation in this region of the world.

Panama Jack

Captain Stable
22nd Oct 2003, 04:01
PJ - poll adjusted accordingly. :ok:

Panama Jack
22nd Oct 2003, 11:18
Then I shall vote.

Gracias Capitan Stable :)

Doudou
23rd Oct 2003, 23:58
People seems to have forgotten that this is Carribean and Latin America forum. And in those Carribean, you don't have only spanish and portuguese spoken countries. You also have English of course (Belize, Guyana, Trinidad and Tobago...), but also Dutch (Surinam, Aruba) and French(Martinique, Guadeloupe), so unless someone is not able to express himself in English, should be better to keep this language, and cannot be bad for your english, wich is still the Aeronautical language.
Cheers

Jeffrey S
28th Oct 2003, 00:53
Can we have it in Jamaican Patois?

Beca' yuh dun' know dat yuh nah hunnnastan hi?

a' dat mi ah tell yuh rass.

:p :p :p

Captain Stable
28th Oct 2003, 16:09
:uhoh: :rolleyes: :}

Pilocol
28th Oct 2003, 16:27
Write in your language.... somebody will answer you:confused:
There are multilingual mates that will ...
Again ... just an Idea...;)

Panama Jack
28th Oct 2003, 20:47
Can we have it in Jamaican Patois?

If you teach us we just might go for it! :E

Jeffrey S
30th Oct 2003, 19:03
OK!

on behalf of us British - Jamaicans

http://www.ddg.com/LIS/InfoDesignF97/malyce/dict.htm

Just for you guys....

Only thing is...... Some air traffic controllers already use this kind of language

(just kidding):= := :}

jet4hire
31st Oct 2003, 01:36
Let anydody express the way they want! after all is the people who decides who wants to pass the message in any language in oder to be read by others. I believe that the most romantic languages should play an important role. I vote for Spanish, French, Italian and Portuguese........
:D :cool:
let the language be the CRM of multi-cultural relations instead of a barrier!

Captain Stable
31st Oct 2003, 15:18
OK folks - as you may have noticed, the poll is now closed. The vast majority are in favour of leaving the forum as English-only.

jet4hire
7th Nov 2003, 01:39
Capt Stable, I vote for your removal as a mediator!:cool:

Panama Jack
7th Nov 2003, 02:17
I think Captain Stable might be getting the impression here that the Caribbean and Latin American forum follows the stereotype of the region-- insurrection and frequent coup d'etat attempts. :)

I haven't always agreed with Captain Stable's positions, however, I thought his putting the language issue to poll was fair and for me somewhat unexpected. In any case, as he stated, the forum is owned by someone else (for me a faceless guy with a friendly sounding name "Danny") and therefore private and harsh as it may sound, not a democracy.

But when you :mad: at the :mad: of the :mad: , it :mad: isn't :mad: that :mad: . (just kidding) :D

Captain Stable
7th Nov 2003, 16:32
Er - thanks! (I think!) :uhoh: :bored: :ok: