PDA

View Full Version : Qantas washes its hands of Qantas Link???

Ozgrade3
21st Oct 2003, 17:23
A friend of mine whos wife is an FA for QantasLink told me today that they got a letter yesterday saying that Qantas was washing its hands of Qantas Link. No one seems to know much more. Naturally some worried people in the QFlink camp.

Anyone else know anything more??

Pimp Daddy
21st Oct 2003, 18:14
Which part of Qantaslink?

Qantaslink as a brand includes Sunstate, Eastern, some bits of Southern, Impulse and the NJS crew on the Airlink contract.

Which one does your mate's wife work for?

Captain Stoobing
21st Oct 2003, 18:25
I crewed a flight very recently and both the F/A's said nothing. Why would QF wash their hands of such a profitable part of the airline? ( It may not make Billions etc, but it does return of good profit per dollar invested and feeds the mainline operation)

Capt Stoobing :confused:

Col. Walter E. Kurtz
21st Oct 2003, 18:54
"Dear Flight Attendant,

We are washing our hands of Qantaslink - but we are not giving any more details".

WHAT THE FUKC IS THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN??

For chrissakes come up with something coherent - even if you have no foundation.

T53C
21st Oct 2003, 20:54
I'm sorry Ozgrade, but surely you jest. I understand this is a 'rumour' network, but a "little" more substance in regard to your friends letter, wouldn't go astray.

Qantas Chair, MJ said on the Sunday program last weekend that Qantas has "NO PLANS TO ALTER ITS CURRENT STRUCTURE OF AUSTRALIAN, AND QANTAS LINK etc."

Qantas Link is an intergral part of the Qantas group, feeding pax to mainline ops, and especially in Sunstates case, run of the mill in QLD.

If you are correct, I will bear my bum in T3 at Sydney on a Friday afternoon. :ugh:

Chronic Snoozer
21st Oct 2003, 20:59
Lets hope he's wrong.

SydGirl
21st Oct 2003, 21:13
I'm a QFLink FA and I've never read such a letter.

QFLink is a very profitable part of the QF business, lots of err.. bang for the buck - can't see them ridding themselves of it in any great rush. QF likes to milk that cash cow til she's dry.

SG
:ouch:

Australia2
22nd Oct 2003, 00:44
Why would QF rid itself of "the link" ? They have the staff right where they want them !!

jerrry
22nd Oct 2003, 06:30
Hey Ozgrade,

Is it true VB have axed Aerocare in Syd?

missleadfoot
22nd Oct 2003, 10:49
I think the letter being talked about is the latest message from Geoff Dixon, outlining the reorganisation of the current structure.

Part of the message reads....

"Qantas will now consist of ten businesses:

*Four flying businesses:-
- Qantas Airlines (the main international and domestic)
- QantasLink (the regional airline operations)
- Australian Airlines (the international leisure carrier)
- a domestic low cost carrier

*Two flying services businesses:-
- Engineering Technical Operations & Maintenance Services
- Airports and Catering

*Four associated businesses:-
- Freight
- Qantas Holidays
- Qantas Defence Services
- Qantas Consulting

It goes on to say "Each business will have it's own profit and loss statement and balance sheet and be fully accountable for it's performance and contribution to the Qantas Group."

Ozgrade3
22nd Oct 2003, 22:12
Jerry, yes and no. Lost the baggage makeup work and toilet and water servicing contract for VB, though its only a matter of time till we get it back. We did however get the VB International contract at Sydney.

talk at the airport today is that Impulse will be the LCC, with the White cocatoo as the livery. A/C still to be decided, but intense political lobying in Longbeach to protect the jobs of several thousand workers will see boeing launch the 717-300 and offer it at a price that you cant refuse.

Existing Impulse staff will keep staff travel privalages but all new staff wil NOT recieve any staff travel or access to the QF staff credit union, all ground handling will be contracted out.

bonez
22nd Oct 2003, 22:30
hmmmmm

doubt ql (as a brand) is in danger due to oncarriage which qf would accept a loss for - some routes would be sus tho

profitable ? certainly some sharp pencils at work if that is the case

qf has no control over credit union membership - you can work for any airline or company at the airport and join so that is cr@p

FL CH
23rd Oct 2003, 08:01
Have to agree with bonez about QF credit union.

Torres
23rd Oct 2003, 09:10
"Existing Impulse staff will keep staff travel privalages but all new staff wil NOT recieve any staff travel..."

If QF aren't going to honour ID travel to their own staff, what about interline staff privileges? I would think that would be contrary to IATA resolutions?

Besides, in this era of discount travel, one may be better off to pay a few bucks more for discounted positive space travel, rather than ID75 or ID90 (of the full Y class fare) for subload travel.

Capt Claret
23rd Oct 2003, 10:27
None of the F/As I've crewed with this week know anything of QF washing their hands of QantasLink.

I'd say some wires are crossed somewhere.

Hugh Jarse
23rd Oct 2003, 14:44
Sorry Oz 3, it's a Furphy.

Douglas Mcdonnell
23rd Oct 2003, 15:21
Listening to F/As for factual info is skating on pretty thin ice !!!

The profit results for Qlink last year speak for them selves.

skywest_xr
26th Oct 2003, 23:40
I beleive Aero Care lost the DJ ground handling contract in SYD ages ago. DJ haev employed direct employees in Syd for a while now.

There will probably be a change in the make up of DJ and ground handling soon should Patricks get Aero Care like they have hinted. That would see all ports go back to Aero Care.

It will be wierd, a company, employing a contracting company of which they own themselves, and ingenious plan to shaft the staff.

lambsie
27th Oct 2003, 04:49
Betcha 717 crews will be flying new domestic operation. Still cheaper to endorse them in-house and then pay them peanuts, than transfer/second current 737 drivers. :ok:

Jet_A_Knight
27th Oct 2003, 17:39
Does that mean that the Impule B190 drivers will retain their seniority and be recruited to the 'expanded' operation, or wil they recruit off 'the street'?