PDA

View Full Version : Which requirement?

Martin1234
21st Oct 2003, 08:44
First of all, is there any case where an expired JAR class 1 medical is valid as a class 2 medical?

If you undertake your initial JAR Class 1 medical, which requirement (initial or renewal) do you need to meet if you already hold an FAA Class 1 medical?

Northern Highflyer
21st Oct 2003, 18:08
If you have a JAR Class 1 and you let it lapse, it will be valid as a Class 2 for the remainder of the Class 2 period depending upon your age and renewal limits.

RodgerF
21st Oct 2003, 19:09
NHF,

I don't think that's correct. The JAA certificate doesn't say that it has this validity and the old CAA certs certainly did.

The only way I know of to operate in this way is to have two certificates issued at the time of examination, one Class 1 and the other Class 2.

orangesky
21st Oct 2003, 20:27
northernflyer is correct. i spoke to CAA and AME a few weeks ago, as my class 1 expires soon, and was told to let it lapse (to a class 2), then get the class 1 renewed when i start flying professionally.

the class 1 renewal is the region of £90 (if you dont need an ECG), and there is no penalty for letting it lapse.

Northern Highflyer
21st Oct 2003, 20:54
Orangesky

The AME who did my initial Class 1 a few weeks ago said exactly the same thing to me too, let it lapse to Class 2 and renew the Class 1 just before starting commercial flight training.

Flyin'Dutch'
22nd Oct 2003, 15:57
M1234,

The CAA will look favourable upon people who fall outside the class one initial requirements for say refractive correction, if they fall within the renewal requirements and fly. Either on a class 2 or on a medical issued by another ICAO state (such as the FAA)

Best thing to do is contact them and explain the situation. That way you get it from the horse's mouth.

Best of luck,

FD

Martin1234
22nd Oct 2003, 16:09
Thank you all for the replies!

HALF A PILOT
26th Oct 2003, 23:40
OK, so when my class 1 Medical expires, it "downgrades" to a Class 2. Is it a problem to re instate it to a Class 1 at a later date?. Lets say my Class 2 is valid for another 6 months, can I then renew the Class 2 medical only and leave the Class 1 bit for a later date, or have I then lost the Class 1 for good? Or can I renew the Class 1 at ANY date in the future ??
Thanks

Whirlybird
27th Oct 2003, 04:00
HALF A PILOT,

Yes, you can do that. I did just that...got a Class 1 to get my CPL, let it lapse to a Class 2, got my Class 1 again when doing instructors course. I've heard of an instructor who didn't have work in the winter, and let her Class 1 lapse every year, getting it back in the summer in order to work again.

However, there IS a limit, beyond which you'd need to go back to Gatwick for a Class 1; I think it's 5 years but I'm not sure. Someone on here will know.