PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter crew safe after accident in Sth Africa

Time Out
20th Oct 2003, 21:35
Helicopter crew have lucky escape after crash

October 20, 2003
By Farook Khan

Three men came within seconds of a watery death after the Nokia Search and Rescue helicopter ditched into the sea off the Bluff at the weekend.

The pilot and two lifesavers were on routine patrol when the stricken machine crash-landed on a rocky outcrop.

The trio - New Zealand-born pilot Murry Henry and local surf lifesavers Ryan Dunbar and Ryan Taylor - baled out of the Bell Jet Ranger moments before it flipped over and plunged into the wind-lashed sea.

Helicopter owner Carol Sobey says: "After everybody got out, the helicopter tipped over and fell into the sea."

"The helicopter is a write-off," says Sobey, whose company JNC Helicopters operates a fleet of nine choppers.

The Ranger costs R3 million.

Nokia Search and Rescue co-ordinator Mike Rodda was on the scene shortly after the crash.

Says he: "Those guys are lucky to be alive. The helicopter is damaged beyond repair. All three men are very shaken and they are now trying to get over the ordeal. They're all experienced, but when this kind of thing happens, it can be really traumatic."

In spite of weekend newspaper reports, Rodda is adamant the helicopter was fitted with flotation attachments, and points out that any helicopter flying over the sea must, by law, be fitted with such devices.

Daily News (http://www.dailynews.co.za/index.php?fSectionId=500&fArticleId=264619)

Nigel Osborn
21st Oct 2003, 07:06
Very lucky 3 crew. I'm interested to read that by law rescue helicopters must have flotation fitted to fly over the sea in South Africa. It has always worried me that in Australia rescue helicopters are classed as 'aerial work' and thus do not require floatation. Yet to fly to an oil rig in a nice big Puma, etc you do.
Until floats are free and weigh nothing, I believe most rescue companies won't fit floats.
Have to improve my breast stroke!!:O

Dynamic Component
21st Oct 2003, 07:45
From what I remember, the CAA Airlaw in SA says very much the same thing as Australia.You need floats when flying over water outside gliding/auto distance.
As the beach at the Bluff is all rocks, Murry probably made the right desition at going for the water.:ok:

I'm not so sure-even if I had floats-if I'd like to deploy them landing in the surf:8

B Sousa
21st Oct 2003, 11:05
Ought to take this to the African Forum.......

Anyway whats the bottom line. News article says something about the stricken Aircraft landing on a rock, then flipping over. What was "stricken" about it....Was it a rescue? or were they training?? Engine problems............Or