PDA

View Full Version : Red Air

CAT3C AUTOLAND
20th Oct 2003, 06:05
Has anyone had any experience with Red Air at Shoreham/Redhill/Blackbushe for professional pilot training?

I am considering training with this establishment for my CPL/IR, any comments welcome, good or bad.

Thank you.

High Wing Drifter
20th Oct 2003, 15:10
I did my PPL with them at Blackbushe and am considering using them to do my CPL/IR too.

If you are interested in my favourable opinion of the organisation from doing my PPL there I can PM you. I don't know any specifics regarding the CPL/IR though.

TurboJ
20th Oct 2003, 15:41
I phoned the Redhill Branch numerous times to arrange a CPL and multi course and nobody bothered to reply.

I left a message stating the fourth phone call would be my last and I got a call from the boss who said he would go away and check his schedule.

I have not heard from them since and that was three weeks ago. I was also given an instructors mobile to arrange lessons directly and he has not bothered to get back to me either.

They must be really busy and don't need the business.

I dare not venture any further.

Billies
20th Oct 2003, 19:30
I have done my training at Blackbushe and found them to be brilliant - great atmosphere, professional attitude and an all round good bunch of people. The organisation appears to be financially stable, and their rates are highly competitive....

Give them a try!!!

PeteB
21st Oct 2003, 01:41
I had a similar experience to TurboJ.
I did my IMC rating with them and was considering doing my CPL/IR there as well, however, I found it near impossible to get hold of someone to talk to me about it. I eventually asked if I could just book an initial lesson, just to get a feel for what it would be like - it turns out that they only have one commercial instructor per school (Blackbushe/Redhill/Shoreham) and at Redhill anyway, his schedule was fully booked for weeks in advance. That combined with the fact that their organisation at Redhill wasn't that hot at the best of times convinced me to go elsewhere. I went to BFC and never looked back. It's a shame really, because I only live up the road from Redhill and it would have been very convenient.
Redhill probably isn't the best base for IR training anyway. They have no nav aids at Redhill (even their ndb's U/S), and no useable airways nearby (compared to Bristol). You'd have to transit to Southend or Shorham each time before you even start training. Compare the london airspace to the airspace around Bristol and Bournmouth and you can see a much more distinct airways structure, and many 'useable' airports for commercial approaches.
Having said that, Redhill/Blackbushe/Shoreham are probably fine for CPL/Multi, and I enjoyed doing my IMC rating there, but I think I got lucky with a very good instructor who subsequently left to become a train driver :(
That was all about eight months ago, so things may have changed since then.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
21st Oct 2003, 02:29
Thanks guys for your comments.

I did take time to go to blackbushe and speak to the commercial instructor, phoning was a nightmare as he is always out flying! My general feeling was a friendly, professional approach. I even managed to back seat on an IMC lesson, which I found most beneficial.

Anyway, it is always nice to hear from past students, thanks.