PDA

View Full Version : explosion proof boroscopes...?

jettison valve
20th Oct 2003, 03:32
Good evening,

does any of you have an explosion proof boroscope/flexiscope/videoscope? If yes: Where can I get it from...!?

We need to inspect something in the A330/A340 Trim Tank during maintenance - but as the tank cannot be considered non-hazardous then, we need that sort of special equipment...

Any help?

Cheers,
J.V.

cirrus01
20th Oct 2003, 04:57
You could try a company called "Key-med" based at Southend , Essex. U.K. They are distributers of Olympus boroscopes and should be able to advise. ;)

mono
21st Oct 2003, 18:46
Are you sure you need an explosion proof one?

Surely the main explosion hazzard is from the light source. A cable of suitable length so that the light source is well away from the tank would seem to be the logical and most cost effective solution?

jettison valve
3rd Nov 2003, 04:00
cirrus01: yep, Olympus really seems to have such equipment!

mono: well, on the one hand, there are our standard procedures that require around five meters distance between the tank entry and the light source. On the other hand, I wouldn`t want to be close to an ignition in the tank... :-)

Thanks for your answers!
J.V.

I forgot to add: The boys told me it might be hard interpeting what you see through a five meters flexiscope (poor lighting and feedback conditions). So, an explosions proof device would be the best...!

J.V.

looks good to me
5th Nov 2003, 00:41
Where in the MM does it say to Boroscope a fuel Tank, be intested to read it .
One thought that does come to mind, is if anything went wrong, you may then find manafactors warrenty or your own company insurance will be nil and void.

jettison valve
7th Nov 2003, 05:07
looks good to me: It`s not part of the AMM - it`s part of an SB!

Regards,
J.V.

used2flyboeing
1st Dec 2003, 21:25
Are you with an AIRLINE ? Send me your email - we have had our engineers literally create a specialized tool for this - it uses White LEDs for illumination ( white as in white light - like a flash bulb ) ( IE but without the heat & spark potential , low voltage ) & have attached an Olympus / or SONY mini - CCD camera head & remote monitor. It also has wearable glasses with monitors builtin - IE like a HUD or virtual reality glasses- It is used specifically for inspections in hazadous areas - Boeing uses these to inspect fuel tanks as well.