PDA

View Full Version : Where are the Seabees?

Spodman
19th Oct 2003, 11:50
I believe there have been 3 Republic RC-3 Seabees on the Australian register over the years, does anybody know where they are now?

I understand WET (nee MJO, nee WWA, nee N6213K, serial 416) is somewhere in QLD, may have just finished restoration and may or may not be for sale?

KNA (nee N6423K, serial 668). Nothing known.

ECZ (nee BBJ, nee CSU, serial 972). Nothing known.

All the reg above are in use by other aircraft except for WET (current as a Seabee) and KNA (available rego mark).

Does anybody know which (if any) of the above was the old 3DB "Flying Tadpole"?

Torres
19th Oct 2003, 13:37
A Franklin Engine version was at Coolangatta airport ten years ago. Belonged to a doctor. He also had a Beagle 206. He later had an interest in a DC4. In fact, he had one of almost everything ... if you get my drift. :}

Edited an after thought - I thought VH-WET was a Gruman?? Saw it in Cairns a few years ago - think it ended up a submarine?

troppo
19th Oct 2003, 14:29
i vaguely remember WET (or maybe another Bee) advertised for sale in the aviation trader about 3 months ago, is that the same one that was with Western Pacific Air Services in Honiara with an H4- rego many years ago?

details of the first two can be found on www.republicseabee.com

pretty passionate about them...about 10 years ago I did an FAA AMES at Jack Browns in Florida in a Twin Bee (UC-1)...now that was cool:ok:

Spodman
19th Oct 2003, 18:30
Have read about the Grumman, but the mark WET is definitely a Seabee, as far as CASA is concerned anyhow. From the sale ad at the website Torres is showing it has a Franklin, name looks like that shown on the register. Register (http://www.casa.gov.au/casadata/register/index.htm)

Great site Torres, thats where my history info came from. (Proceeds to happily wander off his own topic) The TwinBee strikes me as an odd bird, the whole strange shape of the Seabee comes about because of the pusher prop, yet they hang two tractors off it! The rate of climb of the 215hp Franklin version was apparantly crappy, I don't imagine it would be better with 180hp applied assymetrically
:ooh:

Torres
19th Oct 2003, 18:51
I don't believe this........

http://home.c2i.net/otter32/images/uc1_work_150.jpg

Or this...............

http://home.c2i.net/otter32/images/N3500G_400.jpg

350 hp TIO-540 engine, extended wings, composite wing floats, droop tips, extended spray rails, large rear windows, etc.

Bit different to the Coolangatta Doctor's flying oil spot!!! :}

sedgie
19th Oct 2003, 21:21
I was looking at VH-WET the other day, It is in Mackay QLD.
The aircraft sat in a hanger for a good 2 years. The LAME said it is good to fly but as some parts did not have the right paperwork from the states the aircraft is grounded. It is an all over white base with blue pinstripes. About 5-7 months ago it was kicked out off the hanger and parked at the end of the GA parking area as the Hanger was sold. The inside has been refurbished but I can't for the life of me remember what instruments it had in it.

Hope that helps.:ok:

Torres
20th Oct 2003, 03:45
Troppo. I think you are getting confused about the Amphib in the Solomons. Many years ago Solair had a Lake LA4 amphib that was H4 registered but I don't ever recall a Seabee.

Torres
20th Oct 2003, 07:08
I know this is totally off topic ........... but...... :p

From Spodmans link above, I went to have a look at the CASA aircraft register - haven't been there for yonks!

I was facsinated to see there are now 27 single engine aircraft over 5,701 Kg MTOW on the Oz Register.

What are they??? The only large single I can think of would be the AN2 in Brisbane. I guess some of the Migs are also single engine, over 5,700 kg MTOW?

:8

asw28-866
20th Oct 2003, 10:38
Torres,
Are there any of the high-end Air Tractors in OZ? They go heavier MTOW than an AN2!

'866'

Torres
20th Oct 2003, 11:49
Curiosity got the better of me.......... :{

It looks like the S/E aircraft > 5,701 KG MTOW are:
1 x Hawker Firefly AS6 6,328 kg
19 x Airtractors 7,257 kg
4 x Hawker Hunters 7,257 kg
1 x Gloster Meteor 8,800 kg
1 x Mig 21 9,090 kg
1 x Hawker Hunter 9,980 kg

I assume all those war birds are S/E aircraft. Can't see the AN2 in Brissie - it must be < 5,700 kg.

Todays useless peice of information............ :ok:

troppo
20th Oct 2003, 12:47
torres...
sometimes my memory surprises me after the amount of SP previously consumed...

although not WPAC I knew there 'was' one there...even the Sol yellow pages has an ad with a pencil drawing...and check out the serial number

from republicseabee.com a few years back...

sn416, Air Transport Ltd’s own operating Seabee, for information please contact:Capt. DXXX GroXXX, PO Box 766 Honiara, (Guadalcanal) Solomon Islands. Ph: 677-300XX. FAX: 677-307XX

My AMES was in N123BR when it was at Jack Browns in 1994...what made it more fun was dodging the gators (i thought they were floating logs until informed otherwise)

i see one has just been sold in PI...the perfect job if you could get them to base it at Clark AFB:ok:

Fris B. Fairing
22nd Oct 2003, 09:02
Spod

The Tadpole was VH-MJO.

Cheers

Spodman
22nd Oct 2003, 12:50
Thanks Fris, I wonder what happened to the other 2? Bottom of Lake Eildon? Bottom of the harbour???

Fris B. Fairing
22nd Oct 2003, 14:38
Spod

ECZ crashed at Rydalmere on 13 Jan 66. I don't know if it was rebuilt or if the wreck survives.

I suspect that KNA survives but I'll make some enquiries.

Cheers

Disco Stu
22nd Oct 2003, 19:08
Torres, the last time I looked at a Meteor it was a twin (perhaps you heard it performed like a single so included it anyway!!!:8 )

Just the mention of the Tadpole brings to mind the ugly thing I had to taxi past every day at MB in the mid 70's.:yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

I seem to remember it was repainted a particularly nice (and distinctive Blue) when it was owned and flown by a TAA Skipper who owned a resort at Mission Beach (QLD). I seem to recall it was KNA, the other rego's mentioned don't ring a bell with my fuzzy memory.

Disco Stu

Torres
23rd Oct 2003, 06:43
G'Day Stu. I did say "I assume all those war birds are S/E aircraft."

War birds aren't my forte. But I was intrigued with 27 S/E aircraft over 5,700 kg. :D

Disco Stu
23rd Oct 2003, 16:30
Torres, your disclaimer was noted
&
tinpis, I wasn't going to name Fatty as the owner especially after he took me for a 'fly' in the thing.

Disco Stu

Fris B. Fairing
27th Oct 2003, 08:42
Spodman

Have established that VH-ECZ was not rebuilt after its prang at Rydalmere. I believe that the wreckage, or parts thereof, still survive.

There was a fourth Seabee imported. VT-CST (c/n 973) was acquired by Gold Coast Pty Ltd of Coolangatta in April 58. It was destroyed in a hangar fire at Bankstown in Sept 60 having never made it on to the Aust Register.

The present whereabouts of VH-KNA are still unknown. Anyone seen it lately?

Cheers