PDA

View Full Version : I love my job.

charliesbar
19th Oct 2003, 01:38
I love the C-17, I really do. Sorry if its too boring a thing to say but I just had to tell you all (after an afternoon watcung the rugby in the pub).

Cheers to all.

CB

FEBA
19th Oct 2003, 01:47
I love the C17 remark reminds me of a clip from a TV chat show in the States. Top guest was Groucho Marks, he was still on the set when a lady with 15 kids was invited up. When asked the secret of having such a large family was asked of the woman she replied "I love my husband"
Groucho then piped up "I love my cigar, but a I take it out once in a while"

Has the enormity of the occaision got to you mate? Well done and so it should, England were fantastic.

Cheers
FEBA :ok:

juliet
19th Oct 2003, 17:34
England were crap and were lucky. decent score in the end but it certainly didnt reflect the game. going to have to play a lot better than that if they want to win the cup

StopStart
19th Oct 2003, 17:59
Crap is a bit harsh. In the first half admittedly they weren't up to much but the second half was a lot better. I think the score did reflect the game. Yes, Greenwood's try tipped the balance but Jonny W kicked well and Koen kicked like a man with no feet.
Not classic stuff by any stretch but certainly not crap either. I think we're in with a good chance.

What's a C17?

Ralf Wiggum
20th Oct 2003, 00:52
I love my job too, though I did leave the RAF 6 months ago!

BEagle
20th Oct 2003, 01:19
Perhaps the main reason he loves his job is that, unlike most AR/AT folk in HMFC, his ac is younger than he is..... And it can certainly do the biz!

In fact AirTanker make the point that when A330 wins the FSTA contract, being associated with a current generation aeroplane will be a highly motivating issue for many in the mob. Not because it'll make it easier for them to get an airline job, but because it'll be brand spanking new. The smell of 'new aeroplane' is something most AR/AT people will never have known. People will love to go tanking in it! Or to work on it. Or even trucking.....

Then there'll be A400M to look forward to. A380-generation avionics in a highly capable 21st century airlifter which'll be at least 100 kts TAS faster in the cruise than the digitally re-mastered 130Joke.

maniac55
20th Oct 2003, 19:34
Your starting to sound a bit Twitter & Bisted.

Back to the Rugby, the second 20 minutes of the first half was crap, but otherwise good. :D

Boy_From_Brazil
20th Oct 2003, 21:53
Charliesbar
How did you manage to have a weekend off to watch rugby? Or are you the Brize boss?

BFB

FEBA
20th Oct 2003, 22:19
Juliet

England were crap eh! Ummm. How are you qualified to comment (Full RFU accreditations please, if you have any).

As SS says the first half they were dodgy, Louis Koen was our best asset, but after the try they played some good stuff.

Well done England. It was a huge match and they were big enough to do the business, and that's all that counts.

Talking of business I see the A330 tanking sales team have infiltrated this thread. Beagle, I'll have one for milk deliveries please.

Regards

FEBA

SALAD DODGER
21st Oct 2003, 23:29
Are you one of the C17 boys on the Global trip that has 30hrs off in Australia, on a match day? If you are then your love for the C17 is rightly justified, and I hate you...

Make the most of it CB. You have now tempted fate and are sure to be enroute to Basra when there is some real rugby to be played!

SALAD

I_stood_in_the_door
22nd Oct 2003, 00:03
whilst england were only average, come the 22 nov the country will be awash with pride after we beat (nay stuff!) the aussies in their own back yard.

onto the c 17, why can such a vast airlifter only deliver 80 fully equiped paratroopers when the 130 k mk 3 (old truck) can do something similar? well the c 17s flown by the yanks can. is it not allowed on our lease?

just a thought.

c'mon england and enjoy!

:ok:

ps any room on the global trip around the 22?

all work considered

Boy_From_Brazil
22nd Oct 2003, 02:21
What happened to 99 Sqns fifth C17??

I heard a rumour it is being deferred or cancelled. Is it Brother Browns budget cuts or USAF pulling rank?

Charliesbar, I hope you enjoyed your weekend off. It could be your last for a while......

BFB

maniac55
22nd Oct 2003, 03:34
Why the hell do we always lease anything of any actual use?

We should be buying C-17s outright, and lots of them. They're brand spanking new and they work, what a novelty these days. :ooh:

PS
How the hell do I get my signature to work again? It seems to have come to a grinding halt and won't play anymore.

What GASO?
22nd Oct 2003, 20:51
Sorry, back a few posts:

Beagle: "Then there'll be A400M to look forward to. A380-generation avionics in a highly capable 21st century airlifter which'll be at least 100 kts TAS faster in the cruise than the digitally re-mastered 130Joke."

Propellor driven aircraft flying at M.65? Back to groundschool for tech knowledge, and back to IOT for naivety!

WG

FFP
23rd Oct 2003, 01:57
Speaking of lovin the Job . . . . . . . . . .

Who does and in what fleet are you ?

Multis Vs Rotary Vs FJ.

All views welcome and equally important in this PC, EO day in age.

Guess those who have done a mix would be best placed to answer.

Me . Multi's. 8/10 happy. Great lifestyle . Flying v average . V good sqn atmosphere.

Next ?

SALAD DODGER
23rd Oct 2003, 05:02
I Stood In The Door

I think your figure of 80 paras could be wrong, I am sure that the C17 can carry about a platoon more troops. (But still a fairly low number for its size) The Yanks have enough C17's to airdrop a Division of troops in one go, so they dont need to pack them in. They have a global reach, and the meatbombs are rested by the time they have to do the job. Talking to the guys at Fort Brag, the C17 is the way to travel and also has a swept up HALO and SF fit. If they packed any more guys in I guess they would also need a really long DZ and have too many eggs in one basket.

There was a 1000man airdrop from C17's during the war, and many more less publicised insertions. Previously they staged a round-trip (with AAR) from the US to SE Asia dropping a full Batallion, Ammo & vehicles just for fun!

The C17's true srtength is in Cargo airdop, with loads ranging from Long Range Insertion Craft to heavy Armour. You would not believe some of the things that they have thrown out of the back...

We can only just dream about using ours for Airdrop, as there is no will for it to happen yet as the airforce need them for Strat work. Lets hope we get a few more, so that we can all be as happy as charliesbar.:D

I_stood_in_the_door
23rd Oct 2003, 16:05
salad dodger,

many thanksfor the up date.

we'll have to stick to 16ae and 2 x msps!

enjoy friend.

isitd

:ok: