PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Moth Crash Today

always inverted
18th Oct 2003, 13:15
Herd a few moments ago that a Tiger Moth crashed killing the 2 pilots on board. Unfortunatly they were husband and wife, both were very knowledgable and extreamly well respected pilots within NZ aviation circles.
My condolances to the family as I knew them well, they will be greatly missed.

Dogimed
18th Oct 2003, 17:18
Couple killed as vintage plane crashes near Taumarunui

8.00pm
A man and woman died when the Tiger Moth plane they were in crashed at 2.45pm near Taumarunui in the central North Island.

Senior Sergeant Steve Mastrovich said the middle-aged couple were participating in a Tiger Moth Club fly-in.

"Witnesses said they saw the aircraft take off, get into difficulties and crash into a paddock a short distance away where it burst into flames," Mr Mastrovich, of Taumarunui police, said in a statement.

An air accident investigator was to be at the scene tomorrow morning to begin investigation. He said the names of the couple would not be released until next of kin had been informed.

- NZPA

always inverted
19th Oct 2003, 04:44
Heard that they were taking off with a x-wind, made a left turn after t/o and then looked to spiral into the ground.

flyby_kiwi
19th Oct 2003, 14:29
It wasnt the same one shown on the news a few nights ago departing from NZAR?

Route Guide
20th Oct 2003, 17:42
I see from this mornings paper that the woman killed was Nola Pickard. I' m sure most pilots that flew out of Ardmore over the last 25 years would know Nola. She was a real aviation person and always had time to stop and talk. I had the good fortune to bump into her earlier this year. She was very active in the Aero Club scene and especially in a programme called the Young Eagles. This programme was designed to foster intrest in avaition, especially at the teenage level.

God bless you Nola, fly high.

G-LOST
21st Oct 2003, 01:47
Both Mike and Nola Pickard were truly two of NZ aviation's greatest enthusiasts and will be sadly missed.

Having known them both as a former fellow syndicate member, I appreciated their warm and honest approach to all things aviation. They were both willing to go the extra mile and were a pleasure to be involved with. Their input around the Ardmore scene is legendary.

Whilst learning to fly taildraggers I soon realised that Nola was an exceptionally gifted instructor. She had that extra dose of patience that most instructors could do with - myself included! Her care and ability in handling tail-wheel aircraft cannot be doubted and I can only assume that something went terribly wrong.

I'm sure that there are many people such as myself, now involved in aviation overseas, who regret that we will not be able to be present to show our respect for Nola and Mike. I hope that others will use this forum accordingly.

God Bless.

G-LOST aka Jarvo

Speeds high
21st Oct 2003, 04:10
Nola and Mike wll have left behind them a un-fillable gap of enthusiasim and ability. They are among the most genuin and honest people i know.

They will be missed

TAY 611
21st Oct 2003, 14:24
Yes I remember Nola she was a good person.

agcatman
22nd Oct 2003, 18:14
I too can not make the funeral , but wish to be there in spirit, and hope all that go to the funeral convey my sadness on the loss of Nola and Mike. I will always remember the good times we had since i started flying back in the early eighties at AAC.

You will always be in my memory

Greg M