PDA

View Full Version : Mac Scanner?

Land After
18th Oct 2003, 08:03
Any recommendations for a scanner for my iMac (OS X)? My fax machine has given up the ghost and trials of fax software have been good. I now need a scanner for the occasional "photocopy" and the documents that I need to fax that aren't computer generated.

PPRuNe Towers
18th Oct 2003, 10:32
Looks like you just need a very basic one for your needs. USB is fine for connection.

Just ensure driver support is there and buy one. Personally I've been very happy with the Canon LIDE series. Minimal footprint (A4), ultra slim and good looks in a PowerBook sort of way to go with your Mac. There are however plenty of other decent ones about.

Regards
Rob

Ausatco
18th Oct 2003, 11:30
Seeing as you have an iMac, would you ever be interested in scanning images - photo prints, slides or negatives?

If so I highly recommend Canon CanoScan 5000F. If you're thinking about a printer, that scanner pairs beautifully with a Canon i950 photo printer. Canon's software is second to none and the two suites complement each other perfectly.

I've taken prints from 50 year old colour slides and renovated old prints, both colour and B&W, and my results are far better than what you get from an imaging shop.

AA

Land After
20th Oct 2003, 18:19
Following the vote for Canon & doing a little more research, I've opted for a Lide 50. Seems a good compromise between price and resolution (70GBP) and the fact that it can be used vertically is a big winner, freeing up more desk space for an occasional user who can live with any inconvenience.

Apparently it also works with PCs, for those of that persuasion :p

PPRuNe Towers
20th Oct 2003, 18:58
For 70 quid it also provides hours of pose value. Scan Apple logo - cut out in translucent white paper or plastic. Apply to lid and piss off status concious commuters with a deeply convincing PowerBook under your arm :} :} :}

Regards
Rob

PS That's firmly quashed any doubts about this being the most consistently useful forum on the site............