PDA

View Full Version : In Flight SMS Messaging On Qantas.

lame
18th Oct 2003, 05:01
I was reading a story the other day, where Qantas are going to have (if they haven't already?), in flight SMS messaging where you will be able to send anyone you want to an SMS message from the unit at your seat, and also receive SMS messages from anyone on any phone carrier.

Now I do realise that this is obviously via a built in system on the Aircraft, and the system would hopefully be appropriated shielded and whatever to the rest of the Aircraft's avionics systems, however IF as they said, you are able to send and receive messages to/from any mobile phone on any phone carrier, how does this fit in with some of the arguments about using your own mobiles in flight?

APART from the supposed interference to the Aircraft from these mobiles, which incidentally I am not convinced of, people claim it is currently banned because the phone carriers cannot handle it?

IF this was true, how will this system on board Qantas work? Does each Qantas Aircraft communicate directly with a special Qantas ground station first, and then relay to the phone carriers? I doubt it.

Can someone "please explain"?

Woomera
18th Oct 2003, 05:22
Sent via satellite internet, not via the cell phone network.

lame
18th Oct 2003, 06:14
Okay, thank you, although I was hoping for a little more detail.

The cell phone networks must be involved, I take it what you are saying is that they (Telstra, Optus etc) ONLY communicate with a ground based station of the satellite internet system, and then ONLY it communicates directly to/from the Aircraft, yes?

Just trying to understand how it works.

CI300
18th Oct 2003, 08:28
the way we do it:
All traffic to/from any aircraft goes through our company comms system. A comms computer works out what type of message its (fax / plain text / email etc) and redirects it to a fax number, email address, department printer, aircraft or whatever.

Just about anyone can set up a system to feed messages into sms land. Either set up with your local telco or even useing a server overseas.

chimbu warrior
18th Oct 2003, 08:41
I think I can see what Lame is getting at here. If Joe Public sees that an SMS can be sent from the phone in the seatback, surely then someone will say, what the hell, I'll just use my own mobile.
Remember, not all passengers take warnings or instructions seriously, so I can imagine this will lead to a few problems.

Frisk em and confiscate their phones before they board!

Crash & Burn
18th Oct 2003, 10:22
The telephone does transmit it's data in this case to an onboard transceiver (mobile telephone base station if you like). This in turn is transmitted via satellite link to a computer system where the data is routed to it's destination via normal networks.
Pullock - Are you saying that you use your own mobile phone on the aircraft to send and receive the SMS? If so then this is incorrect. You are using the seat unit as stated by LAME.

...in flight SMS messaging where you will be able to send anyone you want to an SMS message from the unit at your seat...
In regards to interference - I'm sure some Metro 23 pilots will confirm that you can tell when one or more of the PAX has a mobile phone switched on as you can hear it 'pulsing' through the pilots intercom system as you leave the area of mobile phone coverage.

When you get on the PA and ask them to switch them off you can see them wondering how you know that they have them on!

Cheers

CB

lame
18th Oct 2003, 10:37
Well I think it is VERY interesting, however we have different opinions here already. :confused:

I remember over 10 years ago now, United Airlines Aircraft flying the Pacific had phones in their cabins, and the cynic in me reckoned they made you use these phones with your credit card, rather than your own phone, just to get more of your money. ;)

However this is definitely NOT the case with Qantas as they said the SMS messaging is free.

So, does anyone here REALLY know the story with this SMS messaging on board Qantas?

Also as someone pointed out, how long before people say "why use their phone when I can use my own, and talk too not just SMS"?

AN LAME
18th Oct 2003, 11:44
lame

The sms feature is being installed as part of the 'Skybed'reconfiguration and was introduced at the last minute by QF.

The system uses the same style of in seat handset that is currently used. The data is then routed to a multiplexer which then passes it along to Sat Com which transmits to the ground station where it is routed to an internet sms broadcaster. ( You can see an example of these at [URL=http://www.gomo.com.au] )

The installation is fully covered by the STC on the aircraft. There is no suggestion of mobile phone usage on board. However as has been stated previously, the punters may see this as the go ahead to use their own mobiles - go figure :confused:

lame
18th Oct 2003, 12:36
AN LAME,

Thanks for that explanation. :D

Best regards,

lame.

hbomb
18th Oct 2003, 16:55
I tried it last week. You have to swipe your credit card but no charge is supposed to be made. I say 'supposed' because I couldn't make it work and one of the FAs said he hadn't found anyone who could. So I look forward to hearing from someone who has.

BTW I think QF have made a blue in not installing on demand audio/video. Both SQ and CX offer it and it is very popular with the people I travel with. With not much else to distinguish the carriers....

Going Boeing
19th Oct 2003, 13:32
hbomb

A few pax successfully used it on the aircraft last night (on a non Skybed fitted B744) and even got replies back.

I understand that the SMS's are free for 2 months to make people aware of the capability and then it will revert to a normal revenue generating service.

I believe that QF did not install video on demand because the reliability of the system was not good enough. I believe that the Rockwell Collins IFE that has been recently installed can be upgraded to video on demand when QF is convinced that it is reliable.

hbomb
20th Oct 2003, 16:41
Thanks GB. I think it is a great idea - convenient but not as intrusive as email. Maybe I got my fingers crossed.

I know I'm not much of a random sample but I've never encountered a reliability problem with the IFE on SQ or CX.

DomeAir
21st Oct 2003, 09:11
A great idea, although since most people don't recall phone numbers anymore (stored in SIM cards etc), for the less prepared it will mean having to turn your mobile on to retrieve the number/s...and given the current restrictions relating to mobile use in-flight, I wonder how this dilemma will be dealt with?

paddopat
21st Oct 2003, 09:40
LAME

You also stated you didn't believe mobile phones caused interference to a/c systems. Well it depends.

The GSM system (digital) probablt causes heaps. It is a digital system in the 900 MHz band. Being 'Time Division Multiple Access' it switches on and off very quickly. This switching causes spurious emissions. You can hear it if you put your GSM phone near any audio equipment, it goes 'taka taka taka taka tak'.

This spurious is very wide band and quite powerful. Enough to jam a GPS signal or make a TCAS have babies. Now, contrain all this unwanted noise in a little silver tube and you can get resonance, this is like when sea waves hit a wall and pile on top of each other.

Get a resonant peak near an antenna or control bus inside the structure, ooops!!!!

Now I ain't convinced CDMA phones are this bad, but it hasn't been studied much.