PDA

View Full Version : Germany

ATC WANABE
18th Oct 2003, 04:21
Hallo. just wondering if i did training with NATS as british citzen how easy would it be to get a job at a german airport??? just seen Erftstadt and Lechnich near Bonn and Bruhl there and it is so much nicer than England- people are fabulous to.

cheers :ok:

Tschüs!

Chilli Monster
18th Oct 2003, 04:49
Why should NATS fund your training to go work in another country? (though it's no guarantee that your training would be recognised)

If you're that keen apply to DFS direct!

ATC WANABE
18th Oct 2003, 04:57
so wen u train for nats u are actually agreeing to have a job with them for a certain ammount of time.

18th Oct 2003, 05:36
Nope, you're not tied in - but as CM says, if you're that keen to work in Germany (perfectly understandable :) ) you'd be much better just to apply directly to DFS.

http://www.dfs.de/dfs/english/index.html

ATC WANABE
18th Oct 2003, 15:48
guess ur right- btw would they have any probs with a brit citzen working over there???

18th Oct 2003, 18:10
As an EU citizen you have a right to work in Germany, simple as that! You'll need to speak German, obviously.

caba
18th Oct 2003, 18:26
We actually have some foreign controllers working for DFS, mainly at Rhein Radar (upper airspace). Don´t know if all of those guys speak German.
Then there are those Irish controllers working in Frankfurt,Bremen and Munich. The guy I know doesn´t speak German which is no problem for the professional side of life, but social life is kind of hard if you don´t speak the language I´d say.

And you´re right, the area around Bonn/Cologne is great...what a shame we had to move to Langen! :yuk: Does anyone know where Langen is?

ATC WANABE
18th Oct 2003, 23:25
em no. But in Koln I got pick pocketed and lost 100euros and all my cards :-(. In the Dom (cathedrale) as well. Oh and I spk German so that aint a problem- y dont the Irish people learn German!!! What would happen if there was a problem with the plane and the pilot didnt no the word for something???

Lon More
19th Oct 2003, 02:24
The Non German guys at Rhein - Karlsruhe - possibly date back to when it was a Eurocontrol Centre. BFS, as it was, nationalised it years ago and most of the people came back to Maastricht.
The Irish guys at Bremen is a temporary thing I heard. They were supplied by the Irish Govt. for a number of years and will wventually return to Ireland, same as the LATCC guys who went to EHAM in the 1980s.

Alternative to DFS, Eurocontrol, controls airspace over Langen. Bremen FIRs, situated 12km N. of Maastricht and 25km W. of Aachen Also has a number of DFS controllers who are responsible for what little OAT remains there.

19th Oct 2003, 04:59
That's true, actually. You could easily live in Germany and commute to Maastricht; not sure why you'd want to thought, it's really nice around Maastricht.

The Euronator
19th Oct 2003, 18:34
"Does anyone know where Langen is?"

I bet the London guys don't ..in fact they find it hard to know which is more north Berlin or Munich :D :D

M609
19th Oct 2003, 19:19
A couple of chaps from Malmö ATCC (sweden) went to Karlsruhe in 2002.

ATC WANABE
19th Oct 2003, 23:16
I bet the London guys don't ..in fact they find it hard to know which is more north Berlin or Munich

Em isnt this Langen: http://www.langen.de/ Oh and I think Berlin is more north!!!

Langen looks ok from those pictures on the site!!! Though so does London on its site and London is hoorible :D. Even wokingham is made to look nicer of it's site. (whereas Lechenich
site www.erftstadt.de/2_framesets/Willkommen_in_Erftstadt.html really dosent do it's self justice :D)

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/mapimages/europe/germany/germany.gif

The Euronator
20th Oct 2003, 05:14
ATC Wanabe,

Next time you visit, take the map and point out which is which, they then might get them on the right side.

;)

ATC WANABE
21st Oct 2003, 14:52
lol. will do. :ok:

Whipping Boy's SATCO
22nd Oct 2003, 01:20
There's also a number of ex-RAF controllers instructing at Langen

Vector Pushtin
24th Oct 2003, 01:14
As a Controller at Rhein Radar, Karlsruhe, Germany I work together with Austrians, Swedish people, French, Turkish, Swiss ones, the guy from Finland went home, and last but not least there are two from ex-Yugoslavia who came from South-Africa. We are happy to have them here and it could be even more multi-culti. Nobody needs to speak German because everybody speaks English, though it might be considered an act of politeness to know a little of the guest-country´s language.
Some of us might not even have "zhe typical sherman pronounziashen" but speak English rather fluently. We would like to learn more and teach you guys our language.
We still need controllers and if you pass the interview and test it should be no problem to work here. Expect lots of traffic, though.
Welcome!:ok:

Scott Voigt
24th Oct 2003, 09:44
Vector Pushtin;

Wow, I didn't know that you were taking folks from other places... It would be GREAT to retire from here and head over there <G>... Of course, I don't know if I could afford the move <BG>... What does the pay start out with at Rhine Radar?

regards

Scott