PDA

View Full Version : Neuropsychological testing

hoffie
18th Oct 2003, 01:39
Greetings. I have a South african ppl, but my medical is restricted due to a head injury 20 years ago. ( Subdural haematoma at age 8, emergency craniotomy followed. ) Planning to do Com and now need EEG, MRI, neuropsych, etc... Not too worried about imaging, but don't like taking tests.

Question is: What neuropsychological test batteries can I expect from the neuro-psychologist?

Flyin'Dutch'
18th Oct 2003, 17:44
h,

Depends where you go.

Basically they will do those tests which will ensure that reaction times are OK and that everything is A1OK in the cognitive department.

There are some books about neurophysiological tests but the real die-hards that do these tests will assure you that you can not train for them.

In the states they use a custom built computer program for it.

FD

hoffie
18th Oct 2003, 19:12
Thanks Dutch,

Suppose you're right. I'll just have to wing it.

Not too concerned, but would have loved to know were I to get a Bender-Gestalt, Goldstein-Scheerer or Benton visual retention test. Would make things a lot easier.

My injury was 2 decades ago and I have never had any seizures, headaches or other impairment because of it.

H

dusk2dawn
19th Oct 2003, 05:55
Been there, done that (aneurism + surgery). And I did get the T-shirt :D
My advice to you would be to cool down, be well rested and concentrated at the tests. They are designed to find problems that you don't even know you got (if any). Waste of time to try beating the system.
Mail me if you run into problems with 'risk of epilepsy'.

DocSullivan
23rd Oct 2003, 02:18
Here's a website with brief descriptive information about these and other neuropsych. tests:

http://mtdesk.com/psychdef.shtml