View Full Version : Emulation?

mcdhu
17th Oct 2003, 19:22
I noticed the following messages on the black background start up page that appears briefly during start:

'SB16 Emulation Driver not loading'

and

'SB16 Emulation Driver requires EMM 386 or similar'

Looking at windows help, this appears to be something to do with 'hyper terminals and linked computers. Can I safely disregard these messages.

I am running a single PC using W98SE with a nVidia GeForce 256 AGP Card on a Dell Dimension XPS T600R, 13.6GB Hard Drive and 128MB SDRAM

Cheers,
mcdhu

Hamrah
17th Oct 2003, 19:30
SB16 refers to Soundblaster emulation...namely soundcards. It could be that some program that has been installed has loaded a requirement to run SB16 emulation which is , obviously, not installed.

H

Naples Air Center, Inc.
18th Oct 2003, 01:30
mcdhu,

The old SB16 Emulation is the leftovers of the old DOS days. In order to play the old DOS games, you needed to emulate the DOS functions of the sound card. The card most of the old games supported was the old SB16.

Unless you are playing an old DOS game or you are having sound problems during your computer's normal operations, I would not worry about it.

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. If you were to play some old DOS games, it was better to use a DOS Boot Disk (with the SB16 Emulation and the Games Expanded Memory Requirements on it) to boot the computer and then access the old game.