PDA

View Full Version : Cruisin' the Hume!

Buster Hyman
17th Oct 2003, 13:21
One ofr the best signs on the Hume Highway is in Woodonga & it says; Melbourne via Freeway .

Honestly, what is the problem with the NSW government, past & present? Surely, the Hume is a road of "National Significance" & deserves to be upgraded between Yass & the Freeway in Victoria!

I don't mean to start a SYD vs. MEL debate, but really, is it too much to ask?

Okay, rant over.....NEXT!:bored:

Pimp Daddy
17th Oct 2003, 13:44
Wish they would do the whole lot, the concrete parst they have done in NSW are great, easy cruising.

Once it's done we can raise the speed limit to a proper speed, instead of the sleep inducing $1.10.

Although the Vic government will have to find other sources of income then to waste.

Buster Hyman
17th Oct 2003, 14:52
Good heavens Pimp Daddy! More than 110kph? The bleeding hearts will have a collective heart attack! It'd be reminiscent of the Super car debacle of the '70's!!!:rolleyes: :hmm:

Transition Layer
17th Oct 2003, 16:36
The reason there is no freeway between Yass and the Vic border is so we drive slower and can delay the inevitable - entering Victoria!!!!!

We in NSW would much rather have our taxpayer funds spent on improving the water quality at our beaches, because we actually have a climate conducive to swimming for more than 3 days a year.

:D
TL

OpsNormal
18th Oct 2003, 11:01
Geeze the Kimberley made you a bitter person T_L!!! ;)

The NSW Gov should actually worry about improving the water enough to drink, let alone worry about water to swim in. Then again, I never died from it, and it's better than the bore water much of the country drinks out here.

I wonder just how much forethought has gone into whether or not the water supply system for Sydney (ie: the dams storage capacity) will be enough to handle the population in 10 years... Seeing as though Warragamba is getting a bit low at the moment.

Speed limits? What are they? I can drive no more than ten minutes from here and be on a de-restricted part of the Stuart Highway. All good if I need to stretch the legs of the ole 308 to clear-out some of that nasty LRP fuel from the old girl. The vehicles of today are much safer (in many ways), than the machines that graced the roads back in the seventies, but the older limits have not been restored and are probably never going to be either. Driver training and standards monitoring is more to blame here, as many belive it is their god-given right to have a drivers licence.

Hows the new job, T_L? :}

Regards,
Ops.

pullock
18th Oct 2003, 11:25
Can someone also tell me why they still build roads with just two lanes in each direction - these roads such as the are beyond their capacity even before their completion.

Hang on I have worked it out. Cars intrafic burn more fuel and therefore raise more tax. They don't care about the greenhouse emissions as long as they get their TAX.

Silly me.

Speeking of NSW GOVT dipping their hands in our pockets again, how about the ten cent per plastic bag tax that starts next month?

I can only see this as a cynical revenue raising stunt. If it wasn't, then it would have been a ten cent deposit that was refundable upon return.

Mr Carr and all your little friends- GET YOUR HAND OUT OF MY POCKET.:{

Transition Layer
18th Oct 2003, 16:09
G'day Ops,

New job going quite well...keeping me busy and on my toes, not to mention the logbook ticking over.

I don't know if the Kimberley made me bitter, but rather spending a large portion of every summer holiday during my childhood in the burbs of Melbourne doing the relo thing, instead of enjoying a Sydney summer at the beach!

Cheers,
TL

P.S. When do we lose you to the "other" side? P.M. me if you like with all your news mate.

Pseudonymn
18th Oct 2003, 19:02
P.S. When do we lose you to the "other" side?

If you are referring to what I think you are referring to, it is a 4 weeks tomorrow. ;)

Sheep Guts
18th Oct 2003, 22:36
I thought it was dual carraige way the whole way these days. Are there any plans in the NSW Budget or is Carr avioding the issue.

Here in Jamiaca theyve just finished the first section of a Motor Way named "Highway 2000"incidently that was the target date. The Prime Minister opened it even though its only about 35km long:)

Sheep
"Reggae Jammin"

Ash767
19th Oct 2003, 12:31
Pollock

Talking about road taxes in NSW. The State government has not removed the 3x3 tax as yet. Hmmm, the 3x3 stands for 3 years and 3cents per litre of fuel. The tax was introduced about ten years ago. The government must run to a different calendar than us:suspect:

Ash767:ok:

Buster Hyman
19th Oct 2003, 19:24
Yes, if they wanted to stop people using plastic bags, why not ban them? Paid 10c for a placcy bag in Bunnings at Fyshwyck the other day & the girl thought I was a freak for paying! What she didn't realise was that I was planning to use it over her head & tying a knot in it &...did I think that or type it????:}

compressor stall
19th Oct 2003, 23:25
THose who have driven the Barkly highway from threeways just north of TFC east to Camooweal will know it.

Inside the N.T. is a fine wide two way smooth bitumen road with 10metre mown verges, suitiable for no speed limits. Within 1km after crossing into QLD there is a rough one lane bridge and bitumen one car wide. If there is head on traffic, both have to take to the dirt. :}

OpsNormal
20th Oct 2003, 06:27
Some have mentioned in the past that one "drops" out of the NT onto Qld.....:E

The Plenty Hwy is much the same (except it is dirt/gravel on the NT side), but with the added bonus on the Qld side of having cattle grids built in such a way as to neccessitate (spl?) slowing down to less than walking speed to negotiate them due to their construction methods. Roadtrains (3+ trailers) beat the living cr*p out of the roads too, so they are almost always in need of some maint.

All part of the fun of living around here I guess! ;)

Regards,
Ops. ;)

roach trap
20th Oct 2003, 07:59
I think nsw is concentrating on fixing the roads north, who would want to go south?

Duff Man
21st Oct 2003, 12:58
It's a road of less national significance, next time you're on the Hume take a look up at the contrails - it really is now a much cheaper way to travel for 1 or 2 people. Even if it was nationally significant, shouldn't that mean federal funds, not nsw funds? I think the albury bypass should take out most of the current delay.

The existing road actually makes a bit of a break from the freeway boredom where you can take the cruise off and drive normally for a while. Anybody ever tried driving at 110 km/h on cruise? It makes the trip soooooo easy and much less tiring than 115-120 (fiddle off/up/down passing etc). Sit back and let everybody else do the hard work (and catch up at the next roadworks!).

Our national driving standards are a complete disgrace. We should take a leaf from the UK (ok, they do 90mph on the motorway but at least they indicate properly at roundabouts).

Buster Hyman
21st Oct 2003, 14:05
Roundabouts! Don't start me on them either. Some of them in CBR have their own postcode! Locals love them, because they can't figure out what those 3 colours on the big poles at intersections mean!:rolleyes:

Duffy, there are still plenty of cars along the Hume, not to mention the semi's. Besides, when you fly, you miss seeing HMAS Otway in Holbrook!!!:ok: