PDA

View Full Version : Top ten computer disasters

amanoffewwords
17th Oct 2003, 01:40
This article on the BBC news website (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3193366.stm) makes all the issues discussed on this forum a piece of cake to solve in comparison:

The top ten of worse disasters according to their piece are as follows:

- Laptop shot in anger
- PC thrown out the window to destroy evidence before police arrived
- Laptop fell off a moped and was run over by lorry
- Laptop dropped in bath while doing company accounts
- Stolen PCs rescued after three weeks in a river
- Red wine spilt on laptop over dinner
- Server rescued after running unchecked 24/7 for years under -layers of dust and dirt (*)
- Computer thrown against a wall
- Latte-covered laptop rescued
- Laptop left on car roof as owner drives off

Well worth a read - if only to prove it could be worse...or you might sympathise with some of the comments at the end of the article. I can but I'm not telling which one I've done...

amofw

(*) in my previous life as a server installer for a large corp this kind of thing happened all the time, esp. in Turkey. We had one that was without keyboard, mouse or screen hidden behind a cupboard for years processing production traffic - it was discovered when the bank in question moved premises....!

Evo
17th Oct 2003, 03:56
Um... i've done two :O :O (red wine and left on top of the car) and the laptop survived both. Still got it :ok:

Not sure why the long-lost server is a disaster though. I've had one of those too, just kept running and running, until one day we had a power-cut and couldn't figure out why a couple of the printers wouldn't work afterwards. Follow the cables.... ah! :)

amanoffewwords
17th Oct 2003, 04:04
Not sure why the long-lost server is a disaster though. I've had one of those too, just kept running and running, until one day we had a power-cut and couldn't figure out why a couple of the printers wouldn't work afterwards. Follow the cables....

It is if you've gone to Turkey for the sole purpose of upgrading it and your counterparts have omitted to tell you they don't know where it is, it's running on a VSAT connection with a cable buried in the walls somewhere and you don't speak Turkish and the only on-site contact you have has decided to go on holiday on the day of your visit :*

Ah, the good old days... http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/boohoo.gif

Timothy
17th Oct 2003, 04:36
I remember hearing one of our support guys saying on the phone to a customer:

"....and the fact that it was called the 'dump' device, and that its icon was a dustbin didn't give you a clue that it might not be the best place to put all your backups?"

W